[rec.skydiving] safety

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (12/15/90)

Bob Church says:

>............................................ Is it a coincidence that
>many of the recent rules from the USPA regarding "safety" seem to be
>related more to selling gear and then this recent influx of cash into the
>campaign?

I have personally discussed this `only interested in selling expensive
equipment' argument with Bob on a few occasions.  He doesn't seem to
remember (or chooses to ignore) all the input that was/is sought before
these changes took/take place.

While a manufacturer of equipment certainly has an interest in changes
to the BSR's that might increase his sales, he also has an interest in
the long term SAFETY benefits of those changes.  Changes in equipment
will, in the long term, only take place when they INCREASE SAFETY while
they are being used by skydivers.  If an innovation fails to do so, it
will fail in the marketplace.  Look at `the no-rig rig' and various
release systems, other than the 3-ring as two examples.

To imply that changes to the BSR's benefit ONLY the manufacturers and
dealers is to ignore the great decrease in both student and experienced
jumpers' injury rate, and the increase in the retention rate of students
that has taken place because of the equipment and training changes.

We ALL benefit, not just the manufacturers and dealers.

That, having been said, it follows that the increase in money being
spent for elected offices benefits ALL of us.  Although we are small,
as Joan G. says, we do spend millions of dollars each year.  The recent
increase in money spent, as well as number of candidates and controversies
serves us all well.

We never get all of what we want, only WHAT WE CAN AGREE ON.  The system
serves us well.  If it doesn't, we are the only ones who can change it.

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/15/90)

In article <2697@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) writes:
> Bob Church says:
>
> >............................................ Is it a coincidence that
> >many of the recent rules from the USPA regarding "safety" seem to be
> >related more to selling gear and then this recent influx of cash into the
> >campaign?
>
> I have personally discussed this `only interested in selling expensive
> equipment' argument with Bob on a few occasions.  He doesn't seem to
> remember (or chooses to ignore) all the input that was/is sought before
> these changes took/take place.

Oh sure, that's exactly what I'd expect you to say Mike. After all, you're
the one who gets taken to the meets on the USPA corporate jet every month
at our expense. And then there's those expensive lobster dinners and
champagne parties that the gear dealers keep giving you. I've seen them!
And let's not forget about that Jimmy Hoffa night jump cover up thing.
Just because the USPA keeps you supplied in caviar, cocaine and blonds
don't think the rest of us will go along with your game.

Bob Church
bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu