[rec.skydiving] fidonet

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/15/90)

Could we please ease up on fido-net bashing. I would like to see
everyone have access to the internet. Portal and Fido are a large
part of the solution to that. Every time we get new users on the
internet from *any* source mistakes are made. So what!
I feel that everyone needs to take fido-net more seriously.
Couldn't we just as easily make an argument for excluding student
accounts due to hacking, etc. ( there goes my account ) or to shut
out corporate accounts for some other reason. Would anyone be left.
Anyway, if someone makes a mistake and you think they need some advice
offer it but in a constructive way. How they accessed the net should
not affect the tone of the reply.

Bob Church
bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

P.S. There is a book about Unix Communications called, oddly enough
"UNIX COMMUNICATION". This book is incredible. If you are going to be
using the internet from any site you should read this book. Even Fido
users could use this since it explains a lot about the different groups
and about "netiquette". It's a painless way to really understand this
means of communication.

UNIX COMMUNICATIONS
ANDERSON, COSTALES, HENDERSON
published by Sams books, the Waite group
ISBN # 0-672-22511-5

bunda@cs.utexas.edu (John Bunda) (12/17/90)

In article <2704@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
> Could we please ease up on fido-net bashing. I would like to see
> everyone have access to the internet.

Hey, me too.  And I think I said this in my initial posting.

> part of the solution to that. Every time we get new users on the
> internet from *any* source mistakes are made. So what!

My point was it's not clear to me that what passes for mistakes on
Usenet isn't SOP on Fido.

> Anyway, if someone makes a mistake and you think they need some advice
> offer it but in a constructive way. How they accessed the net should
> not affect the tone of the reply.

Unless the nets have different purposes and rules of netiquette.
Why should Usenet rules be arbitrarily forced on Fido just because
someone has provided a bridge?  Hey, if people on Fido are willing
to go along, that's great.

> Couldn't we just as easily make an argument for excluding student
> accounts due to hacking, etc. ( there goes my account ) or to shut
> out corporate accounts for some other reason. Would anyone be left.

Look, the only thing requested was that the maintainer of the gateway
review the Fido traffic before automatically posting it.  Nobody ever
suggested anybody's access be taken away.

> P.S. There is a book about Unix Communications called, oddly enough
> "UNIX COMMUNICATION". This book is incredible. If you are going to be
> using the internet from any site you should read this book.

Hey, this just sounds like a conspiracy among the net gods and book
publishers to force the unsuspecting to buy another book they don't need.
Or wait - Bob, what's your angle on this?  A little kickback for the plug?

--
John Bunda * bunda@cs.utexas.edu * {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!bunda