[rec.skydiving] Flight decisions, was Portland, OR jump plane wreck

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan4.173433.19204@cbnewsh.att.com> msb@hos1cad.ATT.COM (Mike Balenger) writes:
>Should we, as skydivers, take a more active interest in the aviation
>side of our sport?  If so, how can we do so without pissing off all
>the jump pilots, but still making sure that we're hopping into a
>"perfectly good airplane".

If you don't feel comfortable with a situation don't get on the plane.
Otherwise I think the decisions should rest with the pilot. The pilot
has been trained, and, if an accident occurs will be first on the scene.
It's not like the pilot is an outside observer.

Bob Church NFS#27
bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (01/07/91)

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:

>In article <1991Jan4.173433.19204@cbnewsh.att.com> msb@hos1cad.ATT.COM (Mike Balenger) writes:
>>Should we, as skydivers, take a more active interest in the aviation
>>side of our sport?  If so, how can we do so without pissing off all
>>the jump pilots, but still making sure that we're hopping into a
>>"perfectly good airplane".

>If you don't feel comfortable with a situation don't get on the plane.
>Otherwise I think the decisions should rest with the pilot. The pilot
>has been trained, and, if an accident occurs will be first on the scene.
>It's not like the pilot is an outside observer.

Well...that's the idea, but like the rest of humanity you have the people
who take their job seriously and those who cut corners.  I recall with
no particular pleasure watching a jump plane run completely out of fuel
on takeoff roll.  The planned jump was to have been at 4-man star from
12,000'.  Preflight fuel check anyone?

Thankfully the plane was just about to rotate, and was able to come to a
stop on the (dirt) runway before running through the cemetery fence
at the end.  The four jumpers immediately exited, joined hands, and
claimed a record for the world's lowest star.

It turned out that the airplane was operating without any of the STC
authorizations required for its use in this activity.  The owner (who
wasn't piloting on this particular flight) was a jumper himself and was
on the DZ that day.

What this translates into is that if you know the jump pilot to be reliable,
you can trust him or her to do what's right.  If you can't trust the
jump pilot that well, do some checking before going up.  You can say that
the info is necessary for insurance or something like that, but remember
that it's your ass that might get broken if something goes wrong.  It's
not much consolation to you if your estate is successful in suing the
pilot.

Joe Morris