[rec.skydiving] skyboarding

dr25+@andrew.cmu.edu (Danny A. Rossi) (01/31/91)

From what I understood, he wasn't on any boogie board,
he was on a real-live serf board.
He was tracking around the sky, doing 360's, front loops, back loops,
then he'd turn up-side-down, (head to the ground, but board still
attached to his feet) and do some more 360's and tracking.
His landings were also pretty spectacular.  He came in over a lake,
flared just over the water, serfed across the water, kicked the board
off and landed on dry ground.

This guy was very! good! He really knew what he was doing.

There were also a couple of sceens with him in free-fall on skis.

Dan Rossi B#14030
Flare when you hear the crickets

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (02/01/91)

dr25+@andrew.cmu.edu (Danny A. Rossi) writes:

>From what I understood, he wasn't on any boogie board,
>he was on a real-live serf board.
>He was tracking around the sky, doing 360's, front loops, back loops,
>then he'd turn up-side-down, (head to the ground, but board still
>attached to his feet) and do some more 360's and tracking.
>His landings were also pretty spectacular.  He came in over a lake,
>flared just over the water, serfed across the water, kicked the board
>off and landed on dry ground.

A surf-board would seem to me to be rather large and clumsy for operations
like this.  The picture _I_ saw, in Life magazine, had a guy on what looked
like a snowboard.  A snowboard would be much more apt for doing maneuvers
like this.

Regarding his landings... Was he wearing a parachute?  ;-)  Seriously, one
of the people who survived falling several thousand feet survived because he
hit the slope of a snowy mountain -just right-.  Too bad he wasn't wearing
skis.
--

 "Hi, we're 'Slaughter'.  We'd just like to say how much we love our troops."

Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown