[rec.skydiving] Bungee from aircraft

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (01/28/91)

Someone recently mentioned the prospect of bungeeing out of a high
flying aircraft and then cutting away fron that to a traditional
freefall and canopy ride... I can't help but conjur up visions in
my mind of an accidental dump at leap time...

Parachute opens, bungee stretches, then something gives... and I
bet the bungee and the 'chute are _both_ stronger than the human
body...

Rob

msb@hosmsb.ATT.COM (Mike Balenger) (02/02/91)

rob> Parachute opens, bungee stretches, then something gives... and I
rob> bet the bungee and the 'chute are _both_ stronger than the human
rob> body...

So attach the bungee to the body with something that's weaker than the
chute and weaker than the bungee and much weaker than the body.
Putting such a weak link in a 'normal' bungee rig spells death, but
for the mixed/mode jumper, it spells safety.  I'm still not sure what
it spells for the pilot as the bungee recoils after cutaway (or break
away, if the safety weak link breaks first).

I'm sure that the pilot wouldn't want something strong connecting an
open parachute to the plane in which he hopes to land.  One of my
first drop zones still has the tail numbers from a C182 that spiraled
in with a prematurely opened main stuck to it's tail.  Amazingly
enough, the main was still jumpable after some lines were replaced (at
the factory after a thorough inspection).  The pilot had his first and
only parachute jump that day.  He doesn't particularly like
parachuting, but he loves parachutists and being a skydiver driver --
that's why he owned and ran the DZ.

<cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (908) 949-8789
<cute disclaimer>       AT&T Bell Labs	           FAX: (908) 949-7512
M_Balenger@att.com      Room 1L-405
msb@hos1cad.att.com     Crawfords Corner Road
att!hos1cad!msb         Holmdel, NJ   07733-1988

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.211104.16241@cbnewsh.att.com> msb@hos1cad.ATT.COM (Mike Balenger) writes:

>rob> Parachute opens, bungee stretches, then something gives... and I
>rob> bet the bungee and the 'chute are _both_ stronger than the human
>rob> body...
>
>So attach the bungee to the body with something that's weaker than the
>chute and weaker than the bungee and much weaker than the body.
>Putting such a weak link in a 'normal' bungee rig spells death, but
>for the mixed/mode jumper, it spells safety.  I'm still not sure what
>it spells for the pilot as the bungee recoils after cutaway (or break
>away, if the safety weak link breaks first).

I keep seeing this picture of the jumper getting full bungee extension
just when the bungee snaps at the plane....

OOOO that smarts!

There are films of guys lowering thmeselves out of Cessnas on static line,
doing some relative wind flying (nothing spectacular) then cutting away.
I really think bungees out of airplanes is something different than
skydiving.  Its kind of like mixing paints... there may be a bunch of
colors you like, but if you mix 'em, you normally get something resembling
baby poop.

Jerry
--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland