[rec.skydiving] Wacko weird bungee buddies and babes

toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) (01/28/91)

In article <15235@milton.u.washington.edu> gnosis@milton.u.washington.edu (David Rahfeldt) writes:

I am looking for others who would like LONG cord jumps for fun from
moving ar ait aircraft... if we get enough people we will get a
tranport type bird and bungee people out from altitude....

on termination of bungee amusement you can cut and run by releasing bungee and
and freefall into traditional parachute openning...

I need minumum of 30 jumpers to break even.... anyone interested please
contact me... plan is for two ior three loads to go in august.. we all
share expenses...

guess is for 100 metre cords...
and about 20 minutes to good bungee thrill beneath bird per person..
for each ride tru frip... ( trip )

if interested leave me email...

david
gnosis@hardy.u.washington.edu

thanks
wheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiii

pvf@ESD.3Com.COM (Paul Fries) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.111157.21587@athena.mit.edu> toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) writes:
>In article <15235@milton.u.washington.edu> gnosis@milton.u.washington.edu (David Rahfeldt) writes:
>
>I am looking for others who would like LONG cord jumps for fun from
>moving ar ait aircraft... if we get enough people we will get a
>tranport type bird and bungee people out from altitude....
>
>on termination of bungee amusement you can cut and run by releasing bungee and
>and freefall into traditional parachute openning...
>
>I need minumum of 30 jumpers to break even.... anyone interested please
>contact me... plan is for two ior three loads to go in august.. we all
>share expenses...
>
>guess is for 100 metre cords...
>and about 20 minutes to good bungee thrill beneath bird per person..
>for each ride tru frip... ( trip )
>
>if interested leave me email...
>
>david
>gnosis@hardy.u.washington.edu

>thanks
>wheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiii

Speaking as a pilot and jumper, this sounds like a really bad idea to me.

It is hard enough keeping the bird flying when there are jumpers hanging
out all over the place.  Having a 100-250 pound weight bouncing around
out there on a 300 foot rubberband could do nothing but complicate things
further.

How do you plan to control and retrieve the bungie cord after the jumper
releases?  What keeps it out of the control surfaces and/or propeller?

What has the FAA got to say about this form of aviation?

All in all, I hope you reconsider.

(On the other hand, if you figure out ways to control EVERYTHING, and have
the approval of the FAA (or at least something that says they aren't going
to hang your pilot), it does sound like it could be fun.)

pvf

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (02/02/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!esd.3com.com!pvf

 > .edu (David Rahfeldt) writes:
 > >
 > >I am looking for others who would like LONG cord jumps
 > for fun from
 > >moving aircraft... if we get enough people we will get

 > >transport type bird and bungee people out from altitude....
 > >
 > >guess is for 100 metre cords...
 > >and about 20 minutes to good bungee thrill beneath bird
 >
 > Speaking as a pilot and jumper, this sounds like a really
 > bad idea to me.

Me too.  Do you have any idea how fast you will go at the bottom of
a 100 meter fall?  My guess is that it would be like maybe a 500 meter
fall from a bridge or something.  Way too fast.  Somewhere over 60
MPH at least.  Remember that the plane is going 100 miles an hour,
maybe more (you did say  transport plane?)

Are you planning to let one person at a time do this?  I didn't think
so.  What do you suppose it feels like to slam into someone at 80
MPH?  Not to good I imagine.

I don't think you've thought this through.

 > (On the other hand, if you figure out ways to control EVERYTHING,
 > and have
 > the approval of the FAA (or at least something that says
 > they aren't going
 > to hang your pilot), it does sound like it could be fun.)
 >
 > pvf
Yes, I'll try anything also. <grin>
Something along this idea but in a more reasonable way would be lots
of fun.
bc

--- Opus-CBCS 1.14
--- eecp 1.44 Beta LM2

 * Origin: Send your MREs here! (1:102/853.0)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)