[rec.skydiving] Fandango

james@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) (02/06/91)

Did any other UK types see this film last night?  Or anyone else for
that matter?  I loved it!  My girlfriend who has recently done a first
jump course (static line round) completely lost it; she was rolling
around for minutes (not that I was much better).  Apart from the
parachute school bit, we both broke up over the scene where Truman
Sparks brings a whole new meaning to IFR (I Follow Roads).  I'm still
chuckling thinking about it now.

--
  James Gillespie,     /~~~~~~~~\    "Looks fast!"
 Edinurgh University. /   @  @   \   "Yeah.  That's the stripes, man."

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (02/07/91)

In article <8289@castle.ed.ac.uk> james@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) writes:

>Did any other UK types see this film last night?  Or anyone else for
>that matter?  I loved it!  My girlfriend who has recently done a first
>jump course (static line round) completely lost it; she was rolling
>around for minutes (not that I was much better).  Apart from the
>parachute school bit, we both broke up over the scene where Truman
>Sparks brings a whole new meaning to IFR (I Follow Roads).  I'm still
>chuckling thinking about it now.

My favorite line:
1~
"Oh!...Space cadet me, man...If I jump out, who's gonna land the plane?"

2nd favorite line:
while in a near vertical dive in the 182, the instructor yells into
the walkie-talkie the oh-so-obvious:

"You have a *MAJOR* malfunction, man!"

Favorite scene:

Moments after dweeb lands (which was mere seconds after opening), as
his friends are running out to congratulate him, you hear the 182
scream past you into the picture having pulled out of the dive so
low that it kicks dust up off the ground.  (I laughed for weeks)

If I'm right, Fandango was actually a remake of a similar 1/2 hour
piece that was done by some jumpers out west.  The short piece still
gets shown on various cable channels.  It was originally called
"Proof" and the dweeb was an ROTC guy who was accused of being
a "weinie".  He had to get proof (a photo) that he wasn't.

I saw it at US Nationals in '81.

Jerry
--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

tneale@aeras.uucp (Tom Neale) (02/07/91)

In article <8289@castle.ed.ac.uk> james@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) writes:

>Did any other UK types see this film last night?  Or anyone else for
>that matter?

Yes, I've seen Fandango a couple of times in the US.  The skydiving
sequence comes from a short film by the late Rande Deluca.  Rande
filmed some of the great skydiving sequences used in the James Bond
movies (like Moonraker).

The short film is called _Proof_.  I think that _Proof_ is a bit better
than the version in Fandango.  The actor that played the instructor is
the same in both films.  In _Proof_ they used a Cessna 172 that had no
nose wheel.  It was painted in psychedelic style and looked like an
absolute crate.  Rande bought the airplane and turned it into one of
the most beautiful 172s that I've ever seen.

If you ever get the chance to see _Proof_ do it!

--
Blue skies,     | ...sun!aeras!tneale   |
                | in flight:     N2103Q | Entropy isn't what it used
Tom Neale       | in freefall:   D8049  | to be.
                | via the ether: WA1YUB |

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (02/07/91)

In article <29954@mimsy.umd.edu> jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu
(Jerry Sobieski) writes:

>"You have a *MAJOR* malfunction, man!"

>If I'm right, Fandango was actually a remake of a similar 1/2 hour
>piece that was done by some jumpers out west.  The short piece still
>gets shown on various cable channels.  It was originally called
>"Proof" and the dweeb was an ROTC guy who was accused of being
>a "weinie".  He had to get proof (a photo) that he wasn't.

     "Proof" was a favourite around here long before any of us saw
Fandango.  We prefer its version of that above line:

"We're talking mega-malfunction here."

     Other favourite lines include the only thing that Charlotte
(Truman's girlfriend) has to say about Hicks' disastrous opening:
"A whole washday shot to hell!" and Truman's "Oh wow, what a bummer!"
as he does a split-S in the 172 to chase after our dweeb.  ("Could
you turn your volume up just a tad?  Pull the silver handle!  It's
on your belly, man!")

     A delightfully well-done production.  I wish I could find a copy.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"Oh wow man, you missed the mattress!"

joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) (02/07/91)

> Did any other UK types see this film last night?  Or anyone else for
> that matter?  I loved it!  My girlfriend who has recently done a first
> jump course (static line round) completely lost it; she was rolling
> around for minutes (not that I was much better).  Apart from the

Yeah the parachute school part seems to get shown every now and then
at our club.  It is definitely a classic.  Actually, I heard this was
adopted from a student short film (I forget the name).  Anybody know?
Or know where to get this?  In Fandango, I especially like the fact that
the guy is at 12 grand for 5 minutes or so!  How do you do that?  :-)

					Joe Peterson  C-20351

kas@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ken_scofield) (02/08/91)

  Anybody have any idea how or where to get ahold of a copy of _Proof_?

  I take it that we won't find it in our local video store.

  BTW, I'll add my chuckle to the crowd -- I saw Fandango a few years back
  and about died of laughter.  It contained all the cliche's and jokes I
  learned as a student, and put them to "practical" use (like the dirty
  laundry).  Chuckle, snort, wheeze...  :-)

                 Ken Scofield           C-9355  SSI #453890085
      ^          Hewlett-Packard, ICO   Phone:  (503)750-2426
|----/-\----|    1020 NE Circle Blvd.   (kas@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM)
|   Gone    |    Corvallis, OR  97330   (ucbvax!hplabs!hp-pcd!kas)
| Divin' or |
|-----------|                      so why start now?

ccjoan@aggie.ucdavis.edu (Joan Gargano) (02/09/91)

In article <42640004@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> kas@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ken_scofield) writes:

>  Anybody have any idea how or where to get ahold of a copy of _Proof_?

I've wanted a copy ever since I first saw Proof.  It was shown at the
Kirkwood Paraski Meet in 1982 (83?) I think (senility).  The whole lodge,
jumpers and whuffos, alike thought it was hilarious.  I was told then
that it was produced by a UCLA film class.  I was never able to track
down a copy and hopefully the students have graduated by now, so I
don't think we could still find them at UCLA.  Rande Deluca's film archives
probably contains a copy but I don't think the family would let anyone
look for it.  I understand his films have been locked in storage since his
death (lung cancer).

Rande was not only an incredible freefall photographer, but an
excellent pilot (ex jet-jock who flew his Cessna with the same zest).
One afternoon, my husband Bill and Ray Ferrell were going home from
the DZ.  They thought they saw a strange car following them, but since
the road was hilly, it kept disappearing from sight.  Finally they saw
it was Rande following them (literally) in his Cessna (the one used in
Fandango).  As Rande got closer, Ray stood up through the window and
tried to tapped the wheel of the plane as it flew over them.  He didn't
reach the wheel but probably could have with a little more effort.
Bill was driving and thought the plane was about 3 feet over the car
as it swooped down in front of them.

Joan Gargano