[rec.skydiving] Frequently asked questions

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org (SKYDIVE) (03/06/91)

Fido-To: bill king

In a message to Skydive <03 Mar 91 17:30> uiucuxc!eniac.seas.upenn. wrote:

 ui> I;m thinking of learning skydiving this summer and would like more
 ui> info. Do you have a FAQ (Frequently-Asked-Questions) in this newsgroup

Here is what I send out to people who inquire.  There are three
files, and I will put them in 3 messages.  I am not an employee
of Parachutes & Associates, I just jump there.

ONE OF THREE
-+----------

Dear _______,

     Experience the excitement of flight.  Capture the wind as
you float through the heavens.  Embrace a feeling so consuming
that everyday problems melt away.  YES, you can skydive!

     Now you can begin your own skydiving adventure with one of
Parachutes & Associates three easy plans to take to the skies.
Anyone age 16 or older can start today, weather permitting, in
our easy beginner programs supervised by our licensed
professionals.

Tandem Fun Jump
     No extensive ground training or experience is needed with
this relatively new technique.  Developed in 1984, Tandem jumping
allows a jumper to jump with and be guided through freefall by a
specially trained Tandem Master.  The Master "talks you down" to
a soft landing as he shares with you the techniques of
controlling the two-man parachute while providing you with the
skills of one of the world's most exciting sports.  Parachutes &
Associates, among the pioneers in Tandem jumping, is one of the
first centers in the world to use Tandem jumping as an integral
part of its training program.

Static Line Jump
     Parachutes & Associates has trained over 10,000 students
with this traditional method of introducing beginners to the
sport of skydiving.  This program involves five hours of ground
school training.  You then make a static-line jump from 3500 feet
where the parachute is automatically opened as you leave the
plane.  Your jumpmaster evaluates your performance and helps you
improve your skills as you progress to advanced jumps without the
line.

Accelerated Freefall
     The newest and most advanced instruction for the serious
beginner involves the Accelerated Freefall (AFF).  Jumping from
11,500 feet with 50 seconds of freefall, you are guided from the
airplane and during your freefall by one or two certified AFF
jumpmasters.  This involves seven hours of ground school followed
by a series of skydives to achieve seven levels of learning
objectives.  Upon graduation from level seven, you are ready for
solo or group jumps.  At this point you have achieved the skills
which would have taken 30 or more jumps in conventional training
programs.

     Enclosed are a price list, directions to Parachutes and
Associates, some common questions asked by first-timers and
discount cards.  Please be sure to present the red business-card
for your discount when you register at the parachute center.

     You are welcome to come and watch skydiving any weekend when
there is good weather.  We also skydive on Wednesdays at 4:00 pm.

     Student classes are held the 1st and 3rd Saturdays, and the
2nd and 4th Sundays of each month.  However, the staff and the
regular skydivers are there every weekend.  Spectators are always
welcome.

     We also have various home-made and professionally made
skydiving videos for you to watch.  You may watch them at the
parachute loft or buy them to take home.

     If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to
call me at 317-298-8758, or Gary Fryar, the manager of Parachutes
and Associates, at 317-654-6188.

Sincerely,
Dave Appel

--- XRS! 4.00
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: The Drop Zone, Dave Appel, 1:231/250.3 (Quick 1:231/30.30)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)