[rec.skydiving] A FAQ?

wking@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Bill King) (03/04/91)

I;m thinking of learning skydiving this summer and would like more
info. Do you have a FAQ (Frequently-Asked-Questions) in this newsgroup
or something else to help me get started? I would be skydiving in
the South Jersey area. Thanks for any and all info....
Bill

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org (SKYDIVE) (03/06/91)

Fido-To: bill king

In a message to Skydive <03 Mar 91 17:30> uiucuxc!eniac.seas.upenn. wrote:

 ui> I;m thinking of learning skydiving this summer and would like more
 ui> info. Do you have a FAQ (Frequently-Asked-Questions) in this newsgroup

TWO OF THREE
-+----------
                  Parachutes & Associates, Inc.
                   Frankfort Municipal Airport
                       State Road 28 West
                      Frankfort, IN  46041
                          (317)654-6188
                         1990 Price List

Tandem Fun Jump......................................$130.00
     Available anytime by appointment.
     After a brief instruction period you are harnessed to a
     professional instructor who controls the exit from the
     airplane, opening the parachute and landing.
     Price includes 50 seconds of freefall from 10,000 feet
     followed by a 3-4 minute square canopy ride with a
     professional skydiver.

Video Tape of your tandem............................$35.00
     Includes a VHS videotape of you in freefall, plus extra
     footage of your ground preparation, landing, and post jump
     reaction.  An invaluable record of your adventure to show
     friends and re-live over and over again.

Static-line Course...................................$135.00
     Available 1st & 3rd Saturdays, 2nd & 4th Sundays.
     Registration at 9:00 am
     Classes available for groups anytime by appointment.
     Price includes 5-hour ground school, one Static-line jump,
     USPA membership, decal, bumper sticker, and Parachutist
     magazine.

Static-line Course with Tandem (best buy!)...........$195.00
     Includes Static-line course above PLUS one Tandem Training
     Jump made after ground school and before Static-line jump.

Additional Static-line jumps.........................$25.00
     Available any weekend.
     Price includes equipment and additional training.
     Jump number two (2) only $15.00 if less than 30 days after
     initial training.

Accelerated Freefall Course (package price)..........$780.00
     Available anytime by appointment.
     Includes all training and equipment, and seven jumps: one at
     each level 1-7.  Also includes USPA membership, logbook, and
     Parachutist magazine.

Accelerated Freefall Individual Jumps
     Ground Instruction..............................$120.00
     Levels 1-3 each jump............................$130.00
     Levels 4-7 each jump............................$90.00
     Prices include training, equipment, USPA membership, decal,
     Parachutist magazine, and a logbook

T-shirts, patches, posters, and professionally made videos are
also available.

For more information, Call these people:
     In Frankfort             Mark Schlatter      654-6188
     In Indianapolis:         Dave Appel          298-8758
     In West Lafayette        Kirk Smith          447-9672
     In Lebanon               Gary Fryar          482-7988

--- XRS! 4.00
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: The Drop Zone, Dave Appel, 1:231/250.3 (Quick 1:231/30.30)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org (SKYDIVE) (03/06/91)

Fido-To: bill king

In a message to Skydive <03 Mar 91 17:30> uiucuxc!eniac.seas.upenn. wrote:

 ui> I;m thinking of learning skydiving this summer and would like more
 ui> info. Do you have a FAQ (Frequently-Asked-Questions) in this newsgroup

THREE OF THREE
-+------------
                    Parachutes & Associates, Inc.
                     Frankfort Municipal Airport
              State Road 28 West, Frankfort, IN  46041
                            (317)654-6188

                             Directions:

Parachutes & Associates is only 45 minutes from Indianapolis.  Take
Interstate-65 North to the Frankfort Exit, #158.  Go East towards
Frankfort on Route 28 about 5 miles.  Airport is on the right.  Go to
the trailer at the back of the airport.

          Questions most often asked by student skydivers:

What if the chute doesn't open?
     Parachutes don't always open.  That's why the law requires that
we carry two.  If the main canopy fails, we pull an emergency handle
which releases the faulty main and activates the specially packed
reserve in less than three seconds.  USPA estimates the malfunction
rate at approximately 1 in every 700 jumps.

How hard will I land?
     With square parachutes, you can control both the forward speed
and the rate of descent of the parachute.  When your timing becomes
perfect, you can land tip-toe soft.  At first though, it is about
like hopping off the hood of your car.  Most of our beginners make
"stand-up" landings on the first or second try.

How am I attached to the Instructor on a Tandem Jump?
     Your harness snaps securely to the front of the instructor's
harness at four points - two at the shoulders, and two at the hips.
(Each fastener can withstand a 2500 pound load.)  In freefall, the
instructor is above you.  Under canopy, he is behind you.

Will I use the gliding square parachutes?
     Yes!  Our student canopies are all modern ram-air, (or square)
parachutes built for maneuverability and soft landings.  The Tandem
canopy is a specially designed extra large ram-air parachute, built
for two people.

Does it hurt when the parachute opens?
     Not at all.  Except for an occasional pinch by your harness,
opening-shock is no big deal.  In fact, square parachutes can be
packed different ways, depending on how crisp the jumper wants the
opening shock to be.

Do you really go up when it opens?
     No.  That's an illusion created when the cameraman keeps falling
while filming a parachute opening.

What does it feel like?
     Freefall is windy and loud, and feels more like floating or
flying than falling.  The parachute ride is quiet and peaceful with a
spectacular view like nothing you have seen before.

Is it really scary?
     That depends on you.  If you believe it will be scary, it
probably will be.  It is definitely exciting.  Most first-time
jumpers say without hesitation, "Skydiving is the most exciting thing
I have ever done!"