[rec.skydiving] Deland bounce

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org (SKYDIVE) (03/11/91)

Fido-To: nick di giovanni

In a message to All <07 Mar 91 13:05> Nick Di Giovanni wrote:

 ND> We arrived in DeLand the day after and they told us it was a 160-way
 ND> and this guy was the only one out. He hit Sally Weiner (sp?) and I
 ND> talked to her about her sore shoulder. Scotty Carbone chased the guy
 ND> to about 700-feet and almost got him.

That sounds like something Scotty would do.  Scotty dumped at
around 1,000 feet a couple times at a local DZ before the
owners threatened to ground him.  Humming it to save someone is
a noble thing to do, but there comes a point where bravery
crosses the line and becomes stupidity.

I don't know if I have the skills to chase an unconscious
jumper, but I don't think I'd go below 1,500 if I did.

--- XRS! 4.00
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: The Drop Zone, Dave Appel, 1:231/250.3 (Quick 1:231/30.30)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

msb@hosmsb.ATT.COM (Mike Balenger) (03/14/91)

SKYDIVE> Reply-to: Dave.Appel@p30.f30.n231.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Appel)
SKYDIVE> Fido-To: nick di giovanni

SKYDIVE> In a message to All <07 Mar 91 13:05> Nick Di Giovanni wrote:

 ND> We arrived in DeLand the day after and they told us it was a
 ND> 160-way and this guy was the only one out. He hit Sally Weiner
 ND> (sp?) and I talked to her about her sore shoulder. Scotty Carbone
 ND> chased the guy to about 700-feet and almost got him.

SKYDIVE> That sounds like something Scotty would do.

Yeah, but in his defense, I have seen him *PAY* for extra jumpers to
assist him with safety concerns in a jump from a caraboo.  He paid $15
X 3 (or 4), and ended up jumping a 3000.  He was going throught the
"bomb bay door" between the pilots, and needed help to make sure that
he didn't hit anything or have anything hit him.  A photographer went
out the back door in synchrony to photograph the dive.  Pretty neat
stunt, but also a pretty expensive way to get a dive from 3 grand.

It's tought to say what *YOU* would do in the situation until *YOU*
are actually there, so please refrain from judging other's motives or
capabilities.  You may have tried, and bounced with the guy.  You may
have tried, and gotten ground rush at 2 grand.  You may have saved
him, but still bounced.  YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be so quick to condemn a guy who *SURVIVED* an attempt to save
the life of one who *DIED*.

This is real life, not a mini-series.

<cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (908) 949-8789
<cute disclaimer>       AT&T Bell Labs
M_Balenger@att.com      Room 1L-405                FAX: (908) 949-7512
msb@hos1cad.att.com     Crawfords Corner Road
att!hos1cad!msb         Holmdel, NJ   07733-1988

ccjoan@aggie.ucdavis.edu (Joan Gargano) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar13.212936.17812@cbnewsh.att.com> msb@hos1cad.ATT.COM (Mike Balenger) writes:

>SKYDIVE> That sounds like something Scotty would do.
>
>Don't be so quick to condemn a guy who *SURVIVED* an attempt to save
>the life of one who *DIED*.

In general, I get irritated with people who pull low on a regular
basis and I've been scared and irritated by Scotty Carbone more than
once.  But he does have a lot of experience with low altitude openings
and knows his abilities and limitations in that situation better than
most.  I can support his low opening trying to save the unconscious jumper
because of the severity of the situation, his experience at low
altitudes and above average abilities to handle that situation.  It is
similar to the mountain climber on a rescue team that puts him/herself
in a potentially dangerous situation to rescue someone.  All of the
factors involved, scenario, skill of the rescuer, equipment, etc.
make it an acceptable risk in that one instance.  This was probably
true in this case as well.

Joan Gargano

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org (SKYDIVE) (03/16/91)

Fido-To: mike balenger

In a message to Skydive <14 Mar 91 11:35> uiucuxc!hosmsb.att.com!ms wrote:

ui> SKYDIVE> That sounds like something Scotty would do.

ui> It's tought to say what *YOU* would do in the situation until *YOU*
ui> are actually there, so please refrain from judging other's motives or
ui> capabilities.  You may have tried, and bounced with the guy.  You may
ui> have tried, and gotten ground rush at 2 grand.  You may have saved
ui> him, but still bounced.  YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!

ui> Don't be so quick to condemn a guy who *SURVIVED* an attempt to save
ui> the life of one who *DIED*.

<sigh> I didn't mean to condemn Scotty for trying to save a life.

 ============ start of what I originally said =================
 "That sounds like something Scotty would do.  Scotty dumped at
 around 1,000 feet a couple times at a local DZ before the
 owners threatened to ground him.  Humming it to save someone is
 a noble thing to do, but there comes a point where bravery
 crosses the line and becomes stupidity.

 I don't know if I have the skills to chase an unconscious
 jumper, but I don't think I'd go below 1,500 if I did.
 ================= end of what I originally said ===========

     Note that I gave PRAISE, albeit qualified, to Scotty, saying
it was a "noble thing to do".  I didn't condemn him. I don't know
where the point that "bravery becomes stupidity" is, I just said
that there is one. Everyone has their own individual limits.
     If Scotty thinks that regularly dumping at 1,000 is ok for
him, then he probably thinks 700 is ok for an emergency to
save someone's life.  Scotty pulls low a lot, that's common
knowledge. I don't believe that's ok for me, and I certainly
wouldn't recommend pulling that low to others, even to save
a life. That's my belief.
     This is an open forum, and we're just expressing our
beliefs/opinions/stories on skydiving.  Anyway, please don't
think I was condemning Scotty for trying to save a life.
     However, did he go "too low" in trying to save the guy?
Well, that's the opinion part.  I'm saying I wouldn't go that
low.  Personally, I wouldn't hum it to 700 feet to save my own
mother. 1,200 feet maybe.

     Note that I myself said "I don't know if I have the skills
to chase an unconscious jumper." I didn't say that I could have
saved him, or would have saved him.  I didn't say that I would
even try or not.

ui> This is real life, not a mini-series.

Yup.  Everytime I read and sign a waiver I'm reminded.

Thanks for returning my phone call.

Cute tag line:    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                   "Eat, Fart, Skydive"
                    "It's what I do."
                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Fidonet:  Dave Appel at 1:231/30   I X.400 mail:
 Internet:dappel@ehsnet.fidonet.org I   COUNTRY = US
 Snail:   POB 24802, INDY,IN 46224  I   ADMD = WESTERN UNION
 Relaynet: Dave Appel at IBMNET     I   NAME = DAVID APPEL
 GEnie:    DAVE.APPEL               I   DDA TYPE = ELN
 Western Union:  ESL 6287-7725      I   DDA VALUE = 62877725

--- XRS! 4.00-
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: The Drop Zone, Dave Appel, 1:231/250.3 (Quick 1:231/30.30)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (03/17/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!hosmsb.att.com!msb

 U> SKYDIVE> That sounds like something Scotty would do.

[lots of stuff defending Scotty and ragging on the guy who said this deleted]

Hey man!  Chill out!

I think you might have misinterpreted this statement.  It could also be high
praise.  Personally, I would feel honored if someone said this of me.

And besides, it does in fact sound like something Scotty would do.  So what's
wrong with pointing this out?
[soapbox off]

It's late.  I guess your message hit me wrong.

--- msged 2.07
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: <X> Infinity Ltd. (1:102/853)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) (03/19/91)

>SKYDIVE> That sounds like something Scotty would do.

>Yeah, but in his defense, I have seen him *PAY* for extra jumpers to
>assist him with safety concerns in a jump from a caraboo.  He paid $15
>X 3 (or 4), and ended up jumping a 3000.  He was going throught the
>"bomb bay door" between the pilots, and needed help to make sure that
>he didn't hit anything or have anything hit him.  A photographer went
>out the back door in synchrony to photograph the dive.  Pretty neat
>stunt, but also a pretty expensive way to get a dive from 3 grand.
>
>It's tought to say what *YOU* would do in the situation until *YOU*
>are actually there, so please refrain from judging other's motives or
>capabilities.  You may have tried, and bounced with the guy.  You may
>have tried, and gotten ground rush at 2 grand.  You may have saved
>him, but still bounced.  YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Don't be so quick to condemn a guy who *SURVIVED* an attempt to save
>the life of one who *DIED*.
>
>This is real life, not a mini-series.

	I was there for Scotty's Caribou jump.  I recall that he did indeed
	exit at @3,000'.  He also dumped at @1,000'...

	John

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (03/20/91)

>>Yeah, but in his defense, I have seen him *PAY* for extra jumpers to
>>assist him with safety concerns in a jump from a caraboo.  He paid $15
>>X 3 (or 4), and ended up jumping a 3000.  He was going through the
>>"bomb bay door" between the pilots, and  needed help to make sure that
>>he didn't hit anything or have anything hit him.  A photographer went
>>out the back door in synchrony to photograph the dive.  Pretty neat
>>stunt, but also a pretty expensive way to get a dive from 3 grand.

ASSIST HIM WITH SAFETY CONCERNS????  He paid what he had to to make the
jump!  It wasn't something so noble as safety concerns.  Having said that,
I must say that he can be very generous with his time, knowledge, and
equipment.

>       I was there for Scotty's Caribou jump.  I recall that he did indeed
>       exit at @3,000'.  He also dumped at @1,000'...

Ah, yes!  Safety concerns!

Most of those who have watched Scotty's antics over the years are finding
them less and less entertaining, and more and more of a hinderance to their
enjoyment of what they do.  He JUST DOESN'T CARE about others.  Those who
saw his 'act' at the New River Gorge Bridge this past October know exactly
what I mean.

Mike Spurgeon         West Virginia Skydivers
P.O. Box 1            Jackson County Airport
Athens OH 45701       Millwood WV 25262
Internet: mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu