[rec.skydiving] Request for info on Californian skydiving.

ross@spam.ua.oz.au (Ross Williams) (02/21/91)

Dear SkyNetters,

I will be in California in late-March/early-April and am considering
skydiving there. Can anyone recommend any good drop zones
to visit (DZ phone numbers would be helpful here too)?
Any other advice about US skydiving for tourists would be of interest
as well.

Thanks,

Ross Williams
ross@spam.ua.oz.au
South Australia

rand@skydiver.Eng.Sun.COM (Iconoclast at large) (02/26/91)

In article <516@spam.ua.oz> ross@spam.ua.oz.au (Ross Williams) writes:
>Dear SkyNetters,
>
>I will be in California in late-March/early-April and am considering
>skydiving there. Can anyone recommend any good drop zones
>to visit (DZ phone numbers would be helpful here too)?
>Any other advice about US skydiving for tourists would be of interest
>as well.

When you talk about skydiving in California, you typically will be
talking about either Northern (near San Francisco) or Southern (near
Los Angles) California.  In the south, there are two primary drop
zones.  The first is Perris at (714) 657-3858 or (714) 657-8260.
They have 2 Twin Otters, a King Air and a DC3 usually parked there.
The other drop zone in the south is called Elsinore and I believe they
have at least a Twin Otter and a DC3 (I'm also sure I'll be corrected
on all of the above inaccuracies by a S.Cal reader/jumper).

In northern California, there are two primary drop zones.  The first is
Lodi at (209) 369-1128 and they have a DC3, Twin Beech, and 2 Cessnas.
The other drop zone is Yolo at (800) 752-3262 or (916) 753-2651.  They
have a King Air and 2 Cessnas.

As to other advice:  There are some drop zones that are particular as to
the gear that is jumped out of their planes, so I would check that out
before you invest a lot of time traveling to one place or another.  You
won't have much trouble if you have a fairly "american" brand such as
a Vector or Racer.

Rand
rand@skydiver.eng.sun.com

moynihan@sj.ate.slb.com (John Moynihan) (03/02/91)

I'm posting this request on behalf of a friend who is anxious to
learn to skydive and wants to know where to go to get instruction
in the San Francisco Bay Area - near San Jose.

Any other comments and information would, no doubt, be welcome also.

Please e-mail to the address below.

Thanks in anticipation.

JOHN

 JOHN MOYNIHAN                                      Schlumberger Technologies
 Internet: MOYNIHAN@SJ.ATE.SLB.COM                  1601 Technology Drive
 uucp: ...!{decwrl,mips,uunet}!sjsca4!moynihan      San Jose
 phone: (408) 437 5174    ... 9031 (fax)            CA     95110-1397

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org (SKYDIVE) (03/06/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!spam.ua.oz.au!ross

In a message of <Feb 24 15:16>, Uiucuxc!Spam.Ua.Oz.Au!Ross (1:233/15) writes:

 U> From  uiucuxc!convex.mitek.com!matt
 U> From: uiucuxc!spam.ua.oz.au!ross (Ross Williams)
 U> To:   ehsnet.fidonet.org!skydive
 U> Date: 21 Feb 91 10:58:19 GMT

 U> Dear SkyNetters,

 U> I will be in California in late-March/early-April and am considering
 U> skydiving there. Can anyone recommend any good drop zones
 U> to visit (DZ phone numbers would be helpful here too)?
 U> Any other advice about US skydiving for tourists would be of interest
 U> as well.

G'day mate!

Well, when you hit the Ellay area give me a buzz.  I'd be glad to take you out
to the DZ if you need a ride.  Bill Caefer- (818) 242-6816.

There are several in the area.

California City is near Edwards AFB.  You might get to see the space shuttle
but I don't know their schedule these days.  The number is (619) 373-2733.
Free early bird loads.

Perris Valley is huge, open all week, has a bunkhouse, pool, etc.  (714)
657-9576.  They always have tourists there so they may be the ones to call for
advice.

Ten minutes from there is Lake Elsinore.  (714) 678-5911.

Close to both of those is Hemet.  A nice smaller DZ. (714) 925-8197.

There are others.  I might even be talked into a trip to Arizona.  Or up SF
way.  What the hell.

Oh, BTW, if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you please bring me some
boomerangs?  I don't really understand why, but I can't find any around here.
8)

Hope you have fun.

--- msged 2.07
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: <X> Infinity Ltd. (1:102/853)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

robie@umbc1.umbc.edu (Mr. William Robie; POSI (GRAD)) (03/13/91)

Bill Cafer writes to someone in the land of Oz....

>Oh, BTW, if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you please bring me some
>boomerangs?  I don't really understand why, but I can't find any around here.
>8)

I looked for some of these myself and found them in the gift shop of the
National Air& Space Museum. Trouble is, they were made of plastic. Now if I
could only find some little styrene Abo to teach me to fling the thing... :)

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (03/17/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!umbc1.umbc.edu!robie

In a message of <Mar 14 11:34>, Uiucuxc!Umbc1.Umbc.Edu!Robie (1:233/15) writes:

 U> Bill Cafer writes to someone in the land of Oz....

>Oh, BTW, if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you please bring me some
>boomerangs?  I don't really understand why, but I can't find any around here.
>8)

 U> I looked for some of these myself and found them in the gift shop of the
 U> National Air& Space Museum. Trouble is, they were made of plastic. Now if I
 U> could only find some little styrene Abo to teach me to fling the thing...
 U> :)

Actually, my favorite 'rang is a plastic one.  It's red and called the "JACK
THOMAS".  If those are the ones you found, you've got a good one.

To get this back on Skydiving topics, I wonder if I'll ever get good enough
to throw and catch one under canopy?

--- msged 2.07
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: <X> Infinity Ltd. (1:102/853)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (03/21/91)

Fido-To: bill caefer

In a message of <Mar 06 09:28>, Bill Caefer (1:102/853) writes:

 BC>Oh, BTW, if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you please bring me
 BC>some boomerangs?  I don't really understand why, but I can't find any
 BC>around here. 8)

        You could always order one from Flight Computing they have a toll free
number which is 1-800-282-6675

Dwayne

--- QM v1.00
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Beancounter's Paradise Point (1:151/1000.20)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)