[rec.skydiving] When to push?

nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) (03/22/91)

On to a slightly less sensitive topic....

In article <1085@wa4mei.UUCP> chrise@wa4mei.UUCP (Chris England) writes:
>I was witness to a similar "near accident".  A friend of mine and I were
>on the last load of the day, and planned on turning multiple points on a
>two-way.  I was following him out of the aircraft (c-182), when I noticed his
>reserve pilot chut burbling slightly.  I reacted suddenly by shoving him
>off of the step, as he was unaware of what was behind him.  I would guess
>that when the reserve deployed, his head missed the elevator by about
>3 feet.  Now, as controversial as my actions may have been, the point
>is, pin checks always need to be administered.

This sounds like it could be an interesting thread building.  As
students, we are always taught to go for the canopy, when something
has come loose.  Now, that is usually predicated on the assumption
that everyone is (a) still in the plane, and (b) the canopy has
already come loose.  We are also taught that if the canopy gets out of
the plane, to follow it out or cutaway immediately!  The situation
described here doesn't really fit any of those assumptions.  The
person was already in the wind stream, so if the canopy itself had
deployed, he was definitely going to leave.  I don't really have a
good feeling for what is meant by a 'burbling reserve pilot chute'.
(How could you see it?  The rig was a Racer, maybe?  A throwout
reserve??)  Anyway, no one has ever taught me to deliberately push a
jumper off the step.  (Since the only jump plane at my drop zone is a
Beech, I guess we wouldn't emphasize emergency procedures specific to
a Cessna, though.)  Chris could have gone for his buddie's backpack,
or he could have pushed him.  Are there any other reasonable actions
he could have taken?  Is pushing someone *ever* reasonable?  I sure
don't know.  (BTW, Chris, I sure couldn't have done any better, so I'm
not ragging on you!)  What does everyone else think?

As a side note, in a main canopy out the door situation, and a single
operation reserve system, do you think it's better to cut away and
hope you can contain the reserve, or should you gamble that you can
get out the door fast enough to avoid going out the window, instead?
--
This is a shared guest account, please send replies to
dbriggs@nrao.edu (Internet)    (505) 835-2974

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.071136.13186@nmt.edu> dbriggs@nrao.edu (Daniel Briggs) wri
tes:

>As a side note, in a main canopy out the door situation, and a single
>operation reserve system, do you think it's better to cut away and
>hope you can contain the reserve, or should you gamble that you can
OKet out the door fast enough to avoid going out the window, instead?

I think the door would be a better option.  I don't fancy having my reserve
wrapped up in the tail (the PLF is a real bitch).

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (03/27/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!convex.mitek.com!matt

>reserve??)  Anyway, no one has ever taught me to deliberately push a
>jumper off the step.  (Since the only jump plane at my drop zone is a
>Beech, I guess we wouldn't emphasize emergency procedures specific to
>a Cessna, though.)  Chris could have gone for his buddie's backpack,
>or he could have pushed him.  Are there any other reasonable actions
>he could have taken?  Is pushing someone *ever* reasonable?  I sure
>don't know.

Now be gentle, I'm new to this discussion....

I don't know either, but was onced faced with a similar situation in an
Otter.  Our group of 4 was last out, and we were in no hurry so as to
give the previous group (12+ way) plenty of room. As the previous group
exited I was looking down at my rig for a last check, and when I looked
up I saw our middle floater walking casually toward the door
trailing his pilot chute!  Not wanting to just jump on the pilot chute
and possibly open his container, by the time I reached him he was
backing out the door, and still no one noticed the pilot chute!  Trying
to haul this guy back in buy his chest strap was to no avail, he had no
clue, and was determined to go skydiving!  Just as our rear floater
noticed what was going on and moved to help, I changed my tactics and
tackled this guy out of the door and off the aircraft.  As someone said
previously, you should have seen the expression on his face when his
parachute deployed.  As luck would have it, our rear floater
reported to us back on the ground that I and the pilot chute went out
the door together.

The moral of the story: check your's and everyone elses pilot chutes
all the time, not just yours.  Our front floater didn't know what was
going on until we were all on the ground!  Clearly, a less than
sufficient safety awareness level.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are my own!

Scott Traurig         traurig@ncavax.decnet.lockheed.com
D-13275 S/L JM 91
--- QuickBBS 2.66   a need for freefall....
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Skydive Over Texas (512)873-9464 FIDO: (1:382/64)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)