[rec.skydiving] >Near Accident...

chrise@wa4mei.UUCP (Chris England) (03/27/91)

I couln't respond to the "thread" that was on the net yesterday,
so here goes.  You were right, and I don't have a copy of my orig. post,
but the burbling wasn't the reserve pilot, but the reserve itself
protruding from the flaps of the container.  The container was a
National Warp III.  It has a dual pin, so it may be that the left pin
was dislodged, with the right pin holding the pilot. (I don't know,
just a guess.)  Anyhow, when enough of the reserve hit the slip stream,
it may have pulled the other one.

As far as my comments on pin checks go, in his case, the jumper was pretty
large, and he was doing a lot of shuffling in the aircraft.  This has
been accepted as the cause of the incident.

The reason I reacted by thrusting him off of the step, was due to my military
training.  I too, am a former paratrooper; the most feared malfunction in
a large portion of our community, is snagging a belly mounted reserve handle
before the jump.  I had the pleasure of seeing a c130 that had a large portion
of the skin removed, aft of the jump door, due to a chute that opened, and
pulled the jumper out the door.  Just a reaction, anyone have any opinions?

I don't think I was wrong, but as I said in the first post, "controversial"!
--
Chris England  A-11215        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brock Control Systems, Inc. |  SF rule #161: Remember that your weapon was

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (04/01/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!wa4mei!chrise

If I saw anyone near the door with a piot chute trailing, my first reaction
would be to get him away if possible, If not possible, he'd be out the door
as fast as I could get him there. Your choices are limited, and the time is
short...

--- SLMAIL v1.36M  (#0339)
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: ElectroShokTherapy It Isn't Just 4 Breakfast anymore/no (1:202/412)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)