[rec.skydiving] Fatality In Colorado

larry@hpfelg.HP.COM (Larry Chapman X3117) (03/19/91)

For the first  time in over ten years  (and > 120,000  jumps)  the  Skydive
Colorado  (used  to be  Skys  West)  drop  zone in Fort  Collins,  Colorado
suffered a fatality.  The  previous  fatalities  were the infamous  mid-air
collision between a jump plane and a commuter aircraft under VFR conditions
-- but that's another story.

Here's the story:

  A level IV AFF  student  doing his 5th jump (2nd of the day)  pulled  his
cutaway handle at pull time instead of his main rip cord.  The student then
became  "disoriented",  went into a flat spin on his back, and never pulled
his main or reserve rip cords.

  The jump master  reportedly  followed  the student to around 1000' trying
for a "save" then pulled.

What could have saved this student?

  1) A jumpmaster that didn't let him "get away".
  2) An AAD that worked (they, like altimeters don't work well in a burble like
     encountered when you are upside down).
  3) Pulling the main rip cord (a Stevens line was in place).
  4) Pulling the reserve rip cord.

I believe that this is the first "legal" AFF student fatality.

-- LSC

wtm%gr.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Thomas McCollough) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.191611.181@athena.mit.edu> jnrees@athena.mit.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>In article <2020013@hpfelg.HP.COM> larry@hpfelg.HP.COM (Larry Chapman X3117) writes:
>>
>>What could have saved this student?
>>
>>  1) A jumpmaster that didn't let him "get away".
>>  2) An AAD that worked (they, like altimeters don't work well in a burble like
>>     encountered when you are upside down).
>>  3) Pulling the main rip cord (a Stevens line was in place).
>>  4) Pulling the reserve rip cord.

>Technically, an AFF JM is always to be in full control of his/her AFF
>student during ground training, ride to altitude, the skydive, all the
>way to signing the log book.  More specifically, it is the JM's
						  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>responsibility to pull the student's ripcord (at or above a reasonable
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>altitude) if the student does not.  AFF JM's are rated in part by
>their ability to satisfy this requirement.  Without knowing more
>details of the incident, however, I would not necessarily say that it
>was possible for the JM to save this student.
>				Jim Rees
>				D-13359
>				SL/AFF JM '91

I believe that your words are too strong.  If I remember correctly, it
is taught in the AFF certification course as follows:

	1. The student is ultimately responsible for saving his/her
	   life on any AFF skydive.
	2. The jumpmaster is the primary level of backup should the student
	   fail to attempt to save his/her life by pulling a ripcord.
	3. The AAD is the secondary level of backup should both the student
	   and the jumpmaster fail.

I do not believe that "the jumpmaster has the responsibility to pull
the student's ripcord".  The jumpmaster is a backup system that is
subject to failure.  The student has the responsibility to pull his/her
own ripcord on any AFF jump.  I believe that this should be made clear
to any student who boards an aircraft.  A student who believes that
"the jumpmaster has the responsibility to pull my ripcord" has
decreased motivation for pulling the ripcord him/herself.  I want my
students to have *maximum motivation* to save their own lives.

It's a tough job saving lives all weekend.

Tom McCollough
D-10882
S/L, AFF Instructor 1991

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (03/22/91)

In article <2020013@hpfelg.HP.COM> larry@hpfelg.HP.COM (Larry Chapman X3117) wri
tes:

>[stuff deleted]
>
>  A level IV AFF  student  doing his 5th jump (2nd of the day)  pulled  his
>cutaway handle at pull time instead of his main rip cord.  The student then
>became  "disoriented",  went into a flat spin on his back, and never pulled
>his main or reserve rip cords.
>
>  The jump master  reportedly  followed  the student to around 1000' trying
>for a "save" then pulled.
>

>What could have saved this student?
>
>  1) A jumpmaster that didn't let him "get away".

EXCUSE ME ????  When I went through AFF, it was stressed that the student was
responsible for his/her own saftey.  Yes, the JM is to assist during freefall,
but the JM's first duty is to insure his/her own saftey not the students.
That is why we make them take a class first.

Yes, the JM pulling would have saved him.  But that is NOT the JM's job!

How would you feel if you were the JM, and I blamed you?

Comments like the above are totally unnecessary.  This fatality is NOT the
fault of the JM in any way (at least not from the info given here).

I hope you don't like to jump there, because a statement like the above will
come in quite handy when the DZ get sued into bankruptcy.  Probably handy
enough for a large settlement against the DZ.  There is nothing like having
a the defendant admit malpractice to make a trial go quickly.(Trust me, my
old DZ got sued 12 years ago, things you never dreamed of will pop up in
court and will be used against you.)

Please, just the facts, let the FAA acess the blame.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

jnrees@athena.mit.edu (Jim Rees) (03/22/91)

In article <2020013@hpfelg.HP.COM> larry@hpfelg.HP.COM (Larry Chapman X3117) writes:

>What could have saved this student?
>
>  1) A jumpmaster that didn't let him "get away".
>  2) An AAD that worked (they, like altimeters don't work well in a burble like
>     encountered when you are upside down).
>  3) Pulling the main rip cord (a Stevens line was in place).
>  4) Pulling the reserve rip cord.

There really isn't enough information about this fatality in your
posting.  I, for one, would like to know more about this student's
previous training and jumps.  For instance, did this student have a
habit of not looking at his ripcord when he reached for it?  How would
he practice this?  How was his FJC ground training?  Could it be that
his instructors and JM's became a little complacent with this
student's emergency training after he successfully completed levels
I,II, and III?

Technically, an AFF JM is always to be in full control of his/her AFF
student during ground training, ride to altitude, the skydive, all the
way to signing the log book.  More specifically, it is the JM's
responsibility to pull the student's ripcord (at or above a reasonable
altitude) if the student does not.  AFF JM's are rated in part by
their ability to satisfy this requirement.  Without knowing more
details of the incident, however, I would not necessarily say that it
was possible for the JM to save this student.

All in all, a lot of different things could have saved this student.
In my opinion, however, good ground instruction is the most important
part of student safety.

				Jim Rees
				D-13359
				SL/AFF JM '91

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (03/22/91)

I just got saome mail concering my last post on the fatality and thought I
had better address my intent.

I did not intend to flame the poster ar to imply that JMs are not in any
war responsible for their students.

My arguement was with listing the JMs "failure" (aka the JM let him "get away")
as the first reason the fatality occured.  I can only assume that the JM
tried to pull for the student.  In fact he went down to 1000' chasing the
student -- that is 2000' lower that the USPA want you to be near a student.

For whatever the reason, this student had the equivalent of a total malfunction
the correct procedure is to pull.  The JM is NOT responsible for implementation
of emergency procedures.  He/she is to assist in the main pull, if necessary.
In this case that may not have been possible.  It also may not have helped,
depending on the relaibilty of the RSL.

At any rate, the #1 failure was that of the student.  He failed to initiate
emergency procedures.

Sorry for any confusion (I really have to do these things at home -- it's so
hard to think/proof/post on these terminals).

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

larry@hpfelg.HP.COM (Larry Chapman X3117) (03/26/91)

> 1) A jumpmaster that didn't let him "get away".
> 2) An AAD that worked (they, like altimeters don't work well in a burble like
>    encountered when you are upside down).
> 3) Pulling the main rip cord (a Stevens line was in place).
> 4) Pulling the reserve rip cord.

This list was not meant to be prioritized.  The "#1" item just came
to mind first . . .

Also, I fully realize and understand that the jumper is responsible for
his/her own safety.

Fact of the matter is the JM should have been there.

-- LSC

apengell@axion.bt.co.uk (alan pengelly) (03/27/91)

A similar incident happened in th UK a year or two back. The student
in this case was Richard Branson of all people. Fortunately he did
not get away since the instructed had noticed throughout the descent
that Branson kept going for his cutaway. But had he gone in it would
have been his own fault.

When a first time jumper goes out on the static line, they are alone.
Once they've gone there's nothing really that can be done should they have a problem. The thing that concerns me is that incidents such as the
Colorado fatality are all too common - by that I mean that some people
have an inability to save themselves. I've often wondered if such people
could be weeded out early on. The process of natural selection in the
big wide sky is a bit severe.

It's not an easy problem. At my local DZ we had a middle aged  woman who
both myself and the JM's thought was a crater waiting for a grid reference.
It was totally subjective. One day she did have a problem, but she
handled her emergency procedures perfectly. Another guy who was very
confident and brash came within 2 seconds of killing himself after
getting disoriented after an unstable exit dive.

Some insights to the problem came from a friend of mine who gave up skydiving
some years back after an incident. He had to cutaway from a mal, but spent
a long time doing nothing before pulling his reserve at about 700'. The CCI
asked what on earth he had been thinking about. What he said was quite
strange. It was something like `..I was shitting myself, I wanted to go home,
I did'nt want to be where I was, I wish I had'nt done this jump, I'd
better pull the reserve..'. I think he made the right decision in quitting.

Just some food for thought.

Alan

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (04/01/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!hpfelg.fc.hp.com!

   Not to make a big deal here, but to say the JM should have been there
is a little obvious. Some AFF jumps can turn into real whirling derbys. I
guess you "could " it AFF's first official bounce. Yet, that other
guys was doing AFF too and that one guy is just as dead. It really
makes this the second. The fact the JM's didn't have tickets is spitting
hairs.

   It's pretty amazing there's hasn't been more students go in. I've surely
seen and heard enough about close ones of the years. I'd really like to
know how many AFF jumps are made. Maybe there aren't as many as we think.

C-YA
Nick

--- SLMAIL v1.36M  (#0339)
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: ElectroShokTherapy It Isn't Just 4 Breakfast anymore/no (1:202/412)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) (04/05/91)

In article <2734.27FA00E3@ehsnet.fidonet.org> SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) writes:
>Fido-To: uiucuxc!hpfelg.fc.hp.com!
>
>guys was doing AFF too and that one guy is just as dead. It really
>makes this the second. The fact the JM's didn't have tickets is spitting
>hairs.

	So, are you saying that any ol' jumper is qualified to perform AFF
	training, and formal certification for such activity is merely a
	formality?  Come on....

>   It's pretty amazing there's hasn't been more students go in. I've surely
>seen and heard enough about close ones of the years. I'd really like to
>know how many AFF jumps are made. Maybe there aren't as many as we think.

	I have no statistics to readily quote, but I think that the above
	statement comes from a person
	who is very out of touch with the outside world.  Anyone
	aggree/disagree?

>C-YA
>Nick
>SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

	John Jackson
	toad@athena.mit.edu

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.001044.20834@athena.mit.edu> toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) writes:
>In article <2734.27FA00E3@ehsnet.fidonet.org> SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) writes:
>>Fido-To: uiucuxc!hpfelg.fc.hp.com!
>>
>>guys was doing AFF too and that one guy is just as dead. It really
>>makes this the second. The fact the JM's didn't have tickets is spitting
>>hairs.
>
>	So, are you saying that any ol' jumper is qualified to perform AFF
>	training, and formal certification for such activity is merely a
>	formality?  Come on....

Actually, only one of the AFF J/Ms in the first fatality was unrated.
He was "posing" as a rated J/M and had been doing so for a while.  I
think Nick's point was that just cause the first fatality wasn't up to
USPA standard doesn't make it a non-AFF fatality.

While we're discussing it, has anyone ever had their AFF rating checked at
a new DZ?.  I have jumpmastered/instructed AFF/SL at three DZ's and have never
had any of them check my ratings.

Perhaps that's why I keep skydiving -- the TRUST of complete strangers.  Gives
me that "warm-fuzzy" feeling every weekend.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)