[rec.skydiving] Skydive City

joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) (01/23/91)

I was wondering if anyone knows about the relationship (good or bad)
between Z-Hills and the new Skydive City (Jerry Bird's place, I hear).
I know they are very close to each other, and I assume there is some
friction.  I hope not too many negative vibes result from this.
Any body know the scoop?

					Joe Peterson
					Stardent Computer
					joep@stardent.com

toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan23.150425.3610@Stardent.COM> joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone knows about the relationship (good or bad)
>between Z-Hills and the new Skydive City (Jerry Bird's place, I hear).
>I know they are very close to each other, and I assume there is some
>friction.  I hope not too many negative vibes result from this.
>Any body know the scoop?
>
>					joep@stardent.com

Well, I hear that things are pretty touchy at on the 'Hills side about anyone
passing back and forth between the two properties.  George doesn't allow
anyone to cross to his place with a rig from Skydive City (SC).  On the
other hand, I hear that SC has lower jump rates, and doesn't care what you do, as long as you don't kill yourself, at least at their DZ.  Finally, I hear
that SC has the support of the town, whereas Z-Hills beat the town at a law
suit recently, thus creating  non-good vibes in that area.

John Jackson

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (01/28/91)

ryoder@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert W Yoder) writes:

> >     I did not like the $25 cover charge for boogies at
> > Z-hills, because I don't drink beer.  I don't like their
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Wow! There are TWO of us!
> I thought I was the only skydiver who didn't drink beer!

three, guys... :) I don't drink beer either, if I can at all avoid it...:)

Ciders or Coolers, on the other hand...

Rob
.

dappel@grafted.UUCP (Dave Appel) (01/29/91)

joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) writes:

> I was wondering if anyone knows about the relationship (good or bad)
> between Z-Hills and the new Skydive City (Jerry Bird's place, I hear).
> I know they are very close to each other, and I assume there is some
> friction.  I hope not too many negative vibes result from this.
> Any body know the scoop?
>
> 					Joe Peterson
> 					Stardent Computer
> 					joep@stardent.com

     The owner of Z-hills has tried to get the city to deny
Jerry Bird from opening his own DZ.  Bird use to do all sorts
of seminars at Zhills.  Kabeller, the owner of Zhills DZ, not
the city, sorry, has probably filed suit.  There are a lot
of details in SKYDIVING magazine.  I would not even put it
past Kabeller to even  go to the FAA and say that 2 dz's at
the same airport are dangerous for mid-air collisions of
planes and skydivers.  I would not even put it past
Kabeller to put a contract on Bird.  Kabeller is a complete
jerk in my book.

    Of course Bird's DZ is going to take business away from
Kabeller.  I've been to Z-hills several times, and talked with
people besides skydivers.  The mayor of Z-hills and the city
council just **LOVE** skydivers.  We bring them a lot of money.
But they all hate Kabeller.  They wanted him to sell the DZ,
but he wouldn't.  So a lot of people backed Bird and the other
owners of the competing DZ.
    Its very possible that both DZ's will survive.  Its also
very possible that Kabeller's will fold.  Its also possible
that Kabeller would stoop to sabotaging Bird's planes.

    I did not like the $25 cover charge for boogies at
Z-hills, because I don't drink beer.  I don't like their
high(er) prices either.  I usually stop at Deland to
skydive on my semi-yearly trip either to or from Florida.
And I usually stop for a day at Z-hills. (I drive my
parents' car down to florida for them in the fall, and
drive it back for them in the spring. They're snowbirds.)

ryoder@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert W Yoder) (01/30/91)

--
Robert Yoder  "It's 10 o'clock.  Do you know where your child processes are?"
306 Hawkins Graduate House  Internet: ryoder@ecn.purdue.edu

bb1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (Barry Lowell Brumitt) (01/30/91)

> Wow! There are TWO of us!
> I though I was the only skydiver who didn't drink beer!

Make that three....

And I don't smoke either...

Barry
A-12669

ps. Finally! I own a rig! Now why can't the weather get better?

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (02/02/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!en.ecn.purdue.edu!ryoder

 >>     I did not like the $25 cover charge for boogies at
 >> Z-hills, because I don't drink beer.  I don't like their
 >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 > Wow! There are TWO of us!
 > I thought I was the only skydiver who didn't drink beer!
 >-

Make that 3!  I've found I can have as much if not MORE fun by not
drinking.

And don't forget the pleasant side-effect:  more money for jumps!

BC

--- Opus-CBCS 1.14
--- eecp 1.44 Beta LM2

 * Origin: Send your MREs here! (1:102/853.0)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (04/08/91)

In a message of <Jan 30 16:22>, Uiucuxc!En.Ecn.Purdue.Edu!Ryoder (1:233/15) writes:

>     I did not like the $25 cover charge for boogies at
> Z-hills, because I don't drink beer.  I don't like their
 U>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 U> Wow! There are TWO of us!
 U> I thought I was the only skydiver who didn't drink beer!

 U> Robert Yoder  "It's 10 o'clock.  Do you know where your child processes
 U> are?"

Hey Yoder!

Did you ever jump at Swamp Hollow?  Been in the Marines?  Remember me?

--- msged 2.07
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: <X> Infinity Ltd. (1:102/853)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)