From: nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs)
Subject: Skydive from Space
Date: 16 Apr 91 11:50:42 GMT

Here's a fun little tidbit that I thought sci.space'ers might
appreciate.  It's from the "Maybe You've Heard" column in the April
_Skydiving_ magazine.

"Plans have been announced for an October attempt to set a high
altitude freefall record.  The project, dubbed "Skydive from Space" by
its New York promoters, calls for British jumpers Harry Taylor and
Nish Bruce to jump from a balloon floating 120,000 ft. over Texas.
The world record freefall is from 80,630 ft.  (Joe Kittinger's famous
jump from 102,800 feet wasn't a real freefall since he was stabilized
by a drogue during part of his descent.)"

Sounds like fun, eh?  BTW, that shot at Kittinger's record strikes me
as a bit nitpicky.  Certainly most skydivers refer to an ordinary
tandem jump as "freefall", and that is also drogue stabilized.  It's
obviously just a matter of definition, though.  Likewise, 23 miles may
not fit normal definitions of "space", but it's certainly getting
pretty close!

--
This is a shared guest account, please send replies to
dbriggs@nrao.edu (Internet)    (505) 835-2974

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (04/24/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!burst.csc.ti.com!dmeyer

 U> Gang,

 U>   I just noticed this note on sci.space that I thought you might be
 U> interested in.  I have read several accounts of Kittinger's jump and
 U> some others that did not fare so well.  High altitude skydiving is
 U> very complex, expensive, and high risk.  But like anything else, it
 U> can be done given the right equipment, preparation, and level headed
 U> people.  I really enjoy reading about these adventures.

First:  Being in the April issue I'd suggest you look down at your legs and
see if they aren't maybe being pulled a little.

Second:  Yes, high altitude jumping (along with other oddball types) is great
fun.  Ask me sometime about riding a broom.

Lodi (or some other NoCal DZ) does monthly High Altitude jumps from (I think)
25K or whatever they can get in the King Air.  Anyone qualified (basically a
chamber ride and $65) can go.

--- msged 2.07
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Unclear to some (1:102/853)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)