[rec.skydiving] Skydivin'!!!!

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (04/19/91)

Fido-To: all

Hey all!  Well I guess I'm the first to post here.  I would just like a little basic information since I've never done this before.  Where are some good places to go (in the 313 area) and what are average costs for lessons?

We almost went once but some of the people were afraid to jump with some psycho instructor strapped to their backs.  Know anywhere where you can take lessons so that you jump alone?

Golden Dragon!

--- Telegard v2.5k Beta
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: We Love to Free-fall at Wyld Stallyns 313-482-4388 (1:2200/105.0)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (04/22/91)

Fido-To: mark davey

In a _____ msg to All, Mark Davey said, an' I quote:

MD | We almost went once but some of the people were afraid to
MD | jump with some psycho instructor strapped to their backs.
MD | Know anywhere where you can take lessons so that you jump
MD | alone?

Why would you want to jump alone as a new learner?  The only way to jump
alone is by static cord.  You don't learn free fall that way.  I am a
beginner, and jumped in Glendive, Montana with a very good instructor.  I
had NO problem with him strapped to my back...it was a secure feeling.

AWESOME, too.  I hope to begin now that spring is back.  I just have to
figure out where, here in Olympia, Washington, there is a group...

Cheers!
Tomas Hood

---
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin:  Skydivers go *down* faster...  (1:352/777)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

robie@umbc1.umbc.edu (Mr. William Robie; POSI (GRAD)) (04/24/91)

In article <2803.2814B077@ehsnet.fidonet.org>, SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) writes...
>Fido-To: all
>
>Hey all!  Well I guess I'm the first to post here.  I would just like a little basic information since I've never done this before.  Where are some good places to go (in the 313 area) and what are average costs for lessons?
>
>We almost went once but some of the people were afraid to jump with some psycho instructor strapped to their backs.  Know anywhere where you can take lessons so that you jump alone?

I just can't *WAIT* to see the responses to this one! ;-)  (Jerry - I'll trade
you Biff AND Muffy *with* their Nikes and Jeeps, if you will take ...)

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (04/24/91)

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) writes:

> Fido-To: mark davey
> In a _____ msg to All, Mark Davey said, an' I quote:
> MD | We almost went once but some of the people were afraid to
> MD | jump with some psycho instructor strapped to their backs.
> MD | Know anywhere where you can take lessons so that you jump
> MD | alone?
> Why would you want to jump alone as a new learner?  The only way to jump
> alone is by static cord.  You don't learn free fall that way.  I am a
> beginner, and jumped in Glendive, Montana with a very good instructor.  I
> had NO problem with him strapped to my back...it was a secure feeling.

I don't think that I lost out by learning through the 'static line'
setup... (actually it was IAD, Instructor Assisted Deployment)  I
think that it's simpler because it's less things to concentrate on
at once.  I found that I learned a lot about canopy control with my
~15 SL jumps, and then I didn't have to worry about where I was going
to land (if I was going to land) when I started Freefall.  I could
concentrate more on stability... :)

Just my thoughts on the subject... others may differ.

+------------
+------------------------------------------------------------

ryoder@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert W Yoder) (04/24/91)

(SKYDIVE) writes:
> Fido-To: all
>
> Hey all!  Well I guess I'm the first to post here.  I would just like a little
>basic information since I've never done this before.  Where are some good
>places to go (in the 313 area) and what are average costs for lessons?
>
> We almost went once but some of the people were afraid to jump with some
>psycho instructor strapped to their backs.  Know anywhere where you can take
>lessons so that you jump alone?

I know what you mean.  Several years ago some friends and I decided to take
flying lessons, but we encountered the same problem:  Every place we checked
out insisted on starting us out with some psycho instructor strapped into the
plane beside us, so we dropped the idea.

Does anyone out there know of any flying schools that will let you fly alone
the first time?

Robert Yoder  "It's 10 o'clock.  Do you know where your child processes are?"
306 Hawkins Graduate House  Internet: ryoder@ecn.purdue.edu
West Lafayette, IN 47906    Bitnet:   ryoder%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
(317)495-6845    N9CON      UUCP:     {purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!ryoder

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.071414.7193@umbc3.umbc.edu> robie@umbc1.umbc.edu writes:
>In article <2803.2814B077@ehsnet.fidonet.org>, SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) writes...
>>Fido-To: all
>>
>>Hey all!  Well I guess I'm the first to post here.  I would just like a little basic information since I've never done this before.  Where are some good places to go (in the 313 area) and what are average costs for lessons?
>>
>>We almost went once but some of the people were afraid to jump with some psycho instructor strapped to their backs.  Know anywhere where you can take lessons so that you jump alone?
>
>I just can't *WAIT* to see the responses to this one! ;-)  (Jerry - I'll trade
>you Biff AND Muffy *with* their Nikes and Jeeps, if you will take ...)

I'd respond to this, but this guy is probably Special Forces whose mother was
a biker and I'll probably just put my foot in my mouth and have more SF and
bikers p.o.'d at me.  No thanks.  I'll keep Biff and Muffy.  You take this guy
Bill:-()

(I think I'll go play student for some AFF candidates.)

Jerry

But seriously folks...

Mark: Where are you at?  DZs are sorted by region. If you know
know your region, I may be able to give you references to DZs that
discriminate against "psycho instructors".  (I could take umbrage at
this but I won't:-)

--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland