[rec.skydiving] Differences between parachutes and paragliders

bobm@anasaz.uucp (Bob Maccione) (05/01/91)

hi,  i'm a paraglider pilot who has never jumped out of a plane in my life.
however i have a friend who wants to get into para-gliding and she noticed
that parachutes are _much_ less expensive than paragliders.  the paraglider
i just purchased cost me ~3000 ( with the harness ) and she has a parachute
catalog that has parachutes for ~ $1000 ( if memory serves me right ).  i
tried to explain that they aren't the same and am wondering if anyone out
there in netland knows the difference between the two craft.  off the top
of my head i know that a paraglider won't survive opening shock ( excuse
the non-correct wording ) and isn't as porus as a parachute.

any other comments about the differences?

thanks

bob maccione

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (05/01/91)

In article <6435@qip.UUCP> bobm@anasaz.uucp (Bob Maccione) writes:

>hi,  i'm a paraglider pilot who has never jumped out of a plane in my life.
>however i have a friend who wants to get into para-gliding and she noticed
>that parachutes are _much_ less expensive than paragliders.  the paraglider
>i just purchased cost me ~3000 ( with the harness ) and she has a parachute
>catalog that has parachutes for ~ $1000 ( if memory serves me right ).  i
>tried to explain that they aren't the same and am wondering if anyone out
>there in netland knows the difference between the two craft.  off the top
>of my head i know that a paraglider won't survive opening shock ( excuse
>the non-correct wording ) and isn't as porus as a parachute.
>
>any other comments about the differences?

Well, sometimes there isn't much of a difference.  Some of the primary parachute
manufactures have sold slightly modified versions of their parachutes as
paragliders (Glide Path for one).  The trim is also changed slightly to allow
for more efficient gliding.  Most paragliders have a larger aspect ratio than
comaparble parachutes.  Many also have substantially different cell design, as
inflation is not a critical event (ie some designs use a cell with a much
smaller opening for air to come in, allowing a much more efficient airfoil
cross-section).  The two are systems are not all that different.  In fact I have
gone slope soaring with my maverick -- you need a steep hill and a good set of
kneepads.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

galperin@husc9.harvard.edu (Gregory Galperin) (05/02/91)

In article <6435@qip.UUCP> bobm@anasaz.uucp (Bob Maccione) writes:
>i tried to explain that they aren't the same and am wondering if anyone out
>there in netland knows the difference between [parachutes and paragliders]...

	Paragliders originated in mountaineering/climbing as an easy way of
descending from a lengthy climb (and in more than a few cases they saved at
least some fingers and toes when conditions turned sour).  Climbers rigged
7-cell ram-airs up to their harnesses and took a quick (and fun!) trip down;
just like in skydiving, the main goal then was to get back down to the ground.
	But since they hadn't just been in freefall for a mile ( ;-), a couple
of minutes under canopy on the way down didn't provide enough excitement.  So
they started using larger and larger canopies, with more and more cells...
all the time looking enviously at hang glider pilots above them.  The designs
grew in wingspan and area continually, and many paragliders are now over
40 ft. in wingspan and 450 sq. ft. in area, with a large aspect ratio.  The
resulting airfoil is something like a ram-air sailplane (i.e., parachute +
glider = ...), and flies something like a hang glider (or so I've been told,
at least).  The chord length tapers off severely at the ends, and the last
few cells are closed in front (they have no ram-air port, only cross-ports),
and curve down like stabilizers.
	It's true that the materials used in paragliders are generally less
porous than those in skydiving canopies (although it's hard to get less
porous than a zero-porosity fabric... :), but a greater difference is that
paraglider materials are less elastic (which is why an opening shock from
terminal would shred them).  Even standard parachute line cord has too much
stretch for paragliders (I know someone who injured himself when he rigged
his 'glider up with standard jacketed suspension line and couldn't control
it enough to keep from stalling out).
	These canopies allow a much greater glide ratio than parachutes, and
allow (good) pilots to stay in the air for hours.  Anyone who's been hanging
in a harness for over 15 mins. can understand why paragliders grew seats as
they became larger; multiple line groups are connected to the seat along its
length so that shifts in weight can steer the paraglider.  To stay flying,
'glider pilots catch thermals (and carry variometers to help find them).
'Glider competitions sprang up, and have categories much like glider
(sailplane) competitions: net distance, time around a course, etc.
	In summary, you can still buy small (<5 lbs!) 7- or 9- cell
paragliders to use for descents (and this is standard equipment for climbing
in Europe), or you can go the competition 'glider route.  They're probably
more expensive than "normal" 'chutes because (1) they're larger, (2) the
designs are more complicated (tons o' cells, tons o' lines, and a more
involved airfoil design), and (3) the market is still relatively small.

Have I rambled long enough yet?-------+
                                      !
                                      +------=> Greg Galperin
                                                galperin@husc9.harvard.edu
                                                Harvard Mountaineering Club
                                                Mass. Sport Parachute Club

kas@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ken_scofield) (05/04/91)

From: galperin@husc9.harvard.edu (Gregory Galperin)

>	Paragliders originated in mountaineering/climbing as an easy way of

  Your note was very informative and entertaining, but I wonder about the
  above statement.  While I have no doubt that climbers may have contributed
  to the development of paragliders, I doubt they originated the concept.

  I've been skydiving for nearly 20 years, and witnessed the introduction
  of ramair canopies shortly after I started jumping.  Seems like it wasn't
  too much later that I was hearing about weather-grounded jumpers "slope-
  soaring" off nearby hills on cloudy and/or windy days with their ramair
  canopies.  Granted, it took alot of wind and/or a steep slope to get
  early ramairs airborne, but it could be done.  In my mind, this was the
  beginnings of 'paragliding'.  I have no idea who was the first person to
  actually modify a ramair in some way to make it a better 'paraglider',
  but I'll bet it was a bored, ground-bound skydiver... (who may also have
  been a climber with a 'great idea').

  This is not intended as a flame, so please don't take it as such.  Just
  my personnal observations and speculations...

                 Ken Scofield           C-9355  SSI #453890085
      ^          Hewlett-Packard, ICO   Phone:  (503)750-2426
|----/-\----|    1020 NE Circle Blvd.   (kas@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM)
|   Gone    |    Corvallis, OR  97330   (ucbvax!hplabs!hp-pcd!kas)
| Divin' or |
|-----------|                      so why start now?