[rec.skydiving] AFF Fatality

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (04/23/91)

Fido-To: dale southard

As I promised, here is the answer to your question. Sorry about how long
it's taken me to post this.  An AFF instructor's (and JMs) job is to take
care of the student as best he can.  He does this by first giving good
training, and that includes making sure the student knows that he alone
is responsible for saving himself.  The instructor might be able to help
out, but the student must rely upon himself.  Second, provide the student
with good equipment that includes an AAD, square main, RSL, etc. Third,
accompany the student in freefall and help as much as possible.
Instructors are thoroughly trained and tested. They must show the ability
to teach and to skydive. They are even tested on their ability to catch a
non-performing "student."  But everyone should remember that instructors
are taught to REMEMBER THAT THE INSTRUCTOR HAS A RESPONSIBILITY TO NOT
ENDANGER HIMSELF. The best skydivers in the world (with gold medals to
prove it) have been unable to catch a tumbling, spinning student. And
they went lower than they should have, but they did save themselves. With
some students, it is quite hard to draw the fine line between staying in
control and giving the student too much room. Yes, the instructor is
supposed to pull for the student who doesn't. But he can't always do so,
he is not superman. The instructor is also always responsible for
opening his own parachute, about 2000. If you can't save the student, at
least save yourself. AFF has such a good safety record because the
instructor's performance in the air is only one third of the safety
system. The fact that this was only the second (yes that's right, second)
AFF fatality, shows how difficult it is for the reaper to beat all three
levels of safety.
There are about 275,00 student jumps made in the USA each year. AFF must
account for at least 10%, probably more like 20%.  These estimates are
very conservative when you consider that about 7% of all first time jumps
are AFF and that many DZs require all students to start with a tandem or
two before advancing to AFF training. It is true that about 50% of the
2500-3000 new skydivers each year trained in the AFF method. There are
alot of AFF jumps being made each year, more than most people realize.
This has been going on for ten years too.
The first AFF fatality involved a non-rated JM. In fact, he had failed
the course a couple of months earlier (he didn't have very much
experience either). That jump was an AFF jump as distinguished from a
simple harness hold jump. That is the distinction we always made. The
fatality with the non-rated JM just shows that the instructor training
system works pretty well, it did screen this guy out. It also shows that
those early levels require TWO qualified instructors.
To that guy's credit, he called me and confessed the whole thing even
before he told his partner on the jump.

---
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Skydive Orange BBS : WOCin' on Air (Opus 1:265/2)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

jnrees@athena.mit.edu (Jim Rees) (04/25/91)

In article <2809.28158962@ehsnet.fidonet.org> SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (Mike Johnston) writes:
 safety.
>... The
>fatality with the non-rated JM just shows that the instructor training
>system works pretty well, it did screen this guy out.

This statement is a leap of logic and is inconsistent with the spirit
of the rest of the article.  The unrated JM fails the AFF course and
subsequently a student of his is killed, therefore the AFF course
works?  Surely the non-rated JM did not plan on letting his student
die, and as was stated earlier in the article, the student is
responsible for saving him/herself on any skydive.  One datapoint
among the countless AFF skydives with rated and un-rated AFF JM's does
not say much.

Besides, in light of recent events, there have been equal numbers of
AFF student fatalities with rated and un-rated JM's.  Does this mean
that the AFF course makes no difference?

		Jim Rees
		D-13359
		(rated) AFF JM '91

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (05/13/91)

Fido-To: mike johnston

Mike:

Just wanted to thank you again for your post.  It was very complete and
well-written (so much so that there wasn't even a discussion brewed up).
Thank you for taking the time to provide your input/wisdom on this topic.

Sorry if this is the second time I thanked you -- I am not sure if my
first post got to you or not -- the Internet <---> fidonet gateway has
been known to eat my mail without bouncing it back to warn me.

-->  -->  Dale  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

---