[rec.skydiving] where are the wind tunnels?

coleman@sundae10.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) (05/15/91)

Does anybody know of any wind tunnels in the southeast USA, preferably in
Florida.  I've got 13 jumps now (I did the AFF course in Deland) and thought
that some time in a wind tunnel would be a cheaper and faster way to improve
my control.  Does anybody out there have any time in a wind tunnel that
they could relate.  Would this be a good idea?  Would this be cheaper than
the equivalent amount of free-fall time?
--
Richard Coleman
GE Aerospace

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.180720.14179@ge-dab.GE.COM> coleman@sunny.dab.ge.com
(Richard Coleman) writes:
>Does anybody know of any wind tunnels in the southeast USA, preferably in
>Florida.  I've got 13 jumps now (I did the AFF course in Deland) and thought
>that some time in a wind tunnel would be a cheaper and faster way to improve
>my control.  Does anybody out there have any time in a wind tunnel that
>they could relate.  Would this be a good idea?  Would this be cheaper than
>the equivalent amount of free-fall time?

At this stage of the game, a vertical wind tunnel would probably show
really marked improvements in your ability to fall comfortably stable, basic
manuevers (forward docking, 360s, back-ins, barrel rolls, flips, etc).  It
is good for these things or for free-style practice.

However, it won't teach you how to exit a DC3 or how to float a C182.
You won't learn to
track or how to concentrate on 5 different 4-way points in 40 seconds.  It
won't teach you to enter 20th in a 20 way.  It doesn't promote altitude
awareness (!) or spotting skills.  You won't learn to pack or how to do
canopy accuracy.

But otherwise its great fun!  Seriously...The point is: there is more to the
sport than just freefall. I think VWTs have a tremendous
training capability for basic skills which even experienced jumpers can
profit from.  I have jumped the VWT in Pigeon Forge, TN. and plan to go back
as soon as I have time and money.  But they are not the "Next Step" in the
sport of skydiving.

The Fly-Away tunnel in P. F. is about $10/10 minutes (as I recall).  But
you are inside with 2 or 3 other folks and are standing most of that time.
So, you get about 2 to 3 minutes of air time for $10-12 bucks which does
make it cheaper than jumping.  But there is just something about
being 2 miles away from the nearest solid object that makes freefall a
little more exciting (:-).

There is another VWT in Florida (Z-Hills?) either just opened or just fixing
to open.  Anyone else know about this place?

Jerry

--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

dmmst19@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis M Moul) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May14.180720.14179@ge-dab.GE.COM> coleman@sunny.dab.ge.com (Richard Coleman) writes:
>Does anybody know of any wind tunnels in the southeast USA, preferably in
>Florida.  I've got 13 jumps now (I did the AFF course in Deland) and thought
>that some time in a wind tunnel would be a cheaper and faster way to improve
>my control.  Does anybody out there have any time in a wind tunnel that
>they could relate.  Would this be a good idea?  Would this be cheaper than
>the equivalent amount of free-fall time?

There are three commercial wind tunnels in the Eastern US, as far as I know.
They are:

1. Flyaway Indoor Skydiving - 519 N. Parkway, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863
   (615) 453-7777

I've been to Flyaway twice, and I had a great time. It was a lot of
fun and helped my stability and awareness quite a bit. Tunnel time is
about $12 for an 8-10 minute session. In a given session you get 2-3
minutes of actual air time, since there are usually two or three other
people in the tunnel with you. They have some discount arrangements if
you plan to do multiple sessions. The people there are very pleasant and
helpful. Also, Flyaway runs "tunnel boogies" at various times during the
year.

Pigeon Forge is a crazy place. It was described in this group a while
back as "mile after mile of cheap tourist attractions for 8-year olds."
I can't think of anything more fitting than that. Just to give you the
idea, PF is home to Dollywood, the national Dolly Parton museum.

2. Aerodium, Inc. -  P.O. Box 248, McAfee, NJ 07428
   (201) 827-5853

The Aerodium is in Action Park, New Jersey. I haven't been there myself,
and their prices seem quite a bit higher than Flyaway's. $25 for first
flight with 3 minutes of airtime. Introductory flight course $350.00 per
hour. Advanced flight training, $125.00 per session (minimum 20 minutes
long). General rate $6.00 per minute, $300.00 per hour.

They have a full page ad in the May issue of Parachutist on page 37.
Anyone who has been there, care to comment about your experiences?

3. Aerofly, Tampa's Airodium - Route 8, Box 877, Lutz, FL 33549
   (813) 973-2981

Last I knew, Aerofly was under construction and planning to open
sometime in '91. They used to advertise in Parachutist, but I couldn't
find one in the May issue.

Anyone know more about the situation with Aerofly?

Dennis Moul        dmmst19@unix.cis.pitt.edu        Phone: (412) 682-2887 (H)

coleman@sundae10.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) (05/22/91)

|> 3. Aerofly, Tampa's Airodium - Route 8, Box 877, Lutz, FL 33549
|>    (813) 973-2981
|>
|> Last I knew, Aerofly was under construction and planning to open
|> sometime in '91. They used to advertise in Parachutist, but I couldn't
|> find one in the May issue.
|>
|> Anyone know more about the situation with Aerofly?

I gave them a call.  They have moved to a new location somewhere
between Tampa and Orlando.  It seems that the new location is built
but they are waiting for the necessary permits from the county.  They
weren't sure of an exact opening date, but said it should be sometime
this summer.  When they do reopen, they will be advertising in
SkyDiver and Parachutists.