[rec.skydiving] High altitude landings

brent@terra.Eng.Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) (05/16/91)

A friend of mine is keen to drop me out of his 172.
The airplane is STC'ed for door removal, and he
has access to an emergency rig. NOTAM and property
owner's permission are no problem.

The only uncertainty is the landing.  The DZ will
be in the Rockies at 9,500 MSL.  How much harder
will the landing be than at sea level ?

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who's done
a high altitude landing - say 5,000 and above.
Is there anything special to watch out for in
landing technique ?  What's the increase in rate
of descent and ground speed ?

My stats are: 950 jumps, 175 lbs, Fury main (220 sq ft, 7 cell).

	Thanks
--

Made in New Zealand -->  Brent Callaghan  @ Sun Microsystems
			 Email: brent@Eng.Sun.COM

bleck@ai.mit.edu (Olaf Bleck) (05/16/91)

In article <13377@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, brent@terra.Eng.Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) writes:

|> The only uncertainty is the landing.  The DZ will
|> be in the Rockies at 9,500 MSL.  How much harder
|> will the landing be than at sea level ?
|>
|> What's the increase in rate
|> of descent and ground speed ?

First order calculation:

Assume steady state fall rate under canopy, so weight equal to
force on canopy:

W=Pressure*Area=0.5*density*velocity^2(squared)*area of canopy

Weight is constant at both sea level and 9,500ft, as is area, so

density1*velocity1^2 = density2*velocity2^2

=> velocity2 = velocity1 * Square Root (density1/density2)

Using standard atmosphere,

density of air at sea level = 1.19 kg/m^3
density of air at 3000meters = 0.885kg/m^3

so, velocity(3000m) = 1.16*velocity(sea level)

Not too bad.  This is assuming I didn't miss some key point in my
calculation by sleeping through class as an undergrad!  Of course this
is a much hairier aerodynamic problem than this calcualtion, but I
suspect this will get you kind of close, and I'm not current enough to figure it out.

Believe it or don't,

-Olaf
A-12241

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (05/16/91)

In article <15939@life.ai.mit.edu> bleck@ai.mit.edu (Olaf Bleck) writes:
>In article <13377@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, brent@terra.Eng.Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) writes:
>
>|> The only uncertainty is the landing.  The DZ will
>|> be in the Rockies at 9,500 MSL.  How much harder
>|> will the landing be than at sea level ?
>|>
>|> What's the increase in rate
>|> of descent and ground speed ?
>
>First order calculation:
>
>Assume steady state fall rate under canopy, so weight equal to
>force on canopy:
>
>W=Pressure*Area=0.5*density*velocity^2(squared)*area of canopy
[much technical stuff deleted]
>Believe it or don't,
>
>-Olaf
>A-12241

(Just what you'd expect from an MIT response:-)

But seriously folks, I think the equation Olaf used is not necessarily going
to be applicable to airfoils' flight characteristics and/or descent rates.

Empiricly speaking...
I jumped in Casper, WY - 5700' MSL and was quite impressed at the difference
in landing speed.  I weighed ~145 lbs under a StratoCloud (as I recall).
The landing was not HARD, as much as it was FAST.  I did make it into
the peas which probably was a Good Thing, but the ground speed was
considerable.

The para-skiers land around 7-8000' I believe (Does anyone out there have
para-ski experience?).  But they have the benefit of cooler air (i.e. denser),
probably higher winds (i.e. lower actual ground speed), and a couple feet
of soft snow (i.e. fewer landing injuries).

I would be prepared to PLF or "slide" in, so a big grassy LZ would be
primo.  Heavy suit/shoes to protect against ground rash, etc.  The more
wind I think the better as long as it isn't too turbulent from hills,
treelines, buildings, etc.  Don't expect your normal flare.  I probably
wouldn't try doing accuracy until you have some experience with the
landing characteristics at that altitude.

I am surprised a 172 could get to 12000' or better (but then I am not
a pilot).  Are you going to do a clear and pull or are you trying to
get some FF?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jerry

--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

news@solitary.Stanford.EDU (System test) (05/16/91)

Someone asked the question of how landing a parachute at 9500 MSL differs
from the behavior at sea level.  It's already been mentioned that the only
real difference is that all the speeds (descent rate under canopy, forward
speed and speed to flare) increase by the square root of the the ratio
of air densities - or about 20% at 10,000 ft.

While I've not landed a parachute under such circumstances (only paragliders
at or near sea level), I have landed hang gliders at high altitude and think
the experience is similar enough to be germane here.  Specifically, while
20% doesn't sound like much it can really affect your flare timing
significantly.  I tend to flare by the "feel" of the wing (i.e. its readiness
to stall) but nevertheless I sometimes inadvertently use ground speed as a
secondary cue.  This is a bad thing and can make one flare way too late if
it's not recognized.  Landing at high altitude when done properly is just
as "soft" as on the sand at the beach, but requires an earlier more aggressive
flare at a ground speed that always looks "too fast".  Be aware of this factor
and you should do fine.

I guess the best comparison I can make is to note that a high altitude landing
is a lot like a dead wind landing on a hot runway at low altitude.
If that experience seems straightforward to skydivers then a landing at
10K ft ought to be as well.

Later,
Fred Vachss
(one of those guys who only wears a parachute but never uses it)

lmlee@PacBell.COM (Lloyd Lee) (05/17/91)

Reference the high level calculations from our friend from the
MIT Artificial Intelligent LAB-- just do it, the landing won't
be as hard as anything you would have from a "double L" canopy.

--
Lloyd Lee
"Schwinn Continental Forever"

brent@terra.Eng.Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) (05/18/91)

Thanks to all who replied with advice about high altitude
landings.  I'm confident I can handle the extra 20% of airspeed.
It really shouldn't be any worse than a botched no-winder at
sea-level.

The DZ is the airport at Leadville, Colorado.  At 9,500 feet
it's the highest in the U.S.  I'll have plenty of room to
flare - and nothing to fear in ground obstructions except
grass stains...

Fred Vachss mentions the visual effect of judging flare
altitude.  This is also a problem for pilots landing at
the airport.  The advice I get is to consciously start
the flare higher than normal and give the canopy more
time to stop.

>Jerry Sobieski writes:
>I am surprised a 172 could get to 12000' or better (but then I am
>not a pilot).  Are you going to do a clear and pull or are you
>trying to get some FF?

It's a 180hp 172 that's based at the airport.  The airport
is Leadville, Co. At 9,500 the highest in the U.S.  With
a small fuel load and 2 POB it should be no problem making
it up to 13,000.  I'm not planning on a long delay - I figure
that the air time is better spent on playing with the canopy
and showing off to the folks in Leadville - they don't get
to see much skydiving up their way.

>Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks.  I will.
--

brent@terra.Eng.Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) (05/21/91)

In article <6138@ptsfa.PacBell.COM>, lmlee@PacBell.COM (Lloyd Lee) writes:
> Reference the high level calculations from our friend from the
> MIT Artificial Intelligent LAB-- just do it, the landing won't
> be as hard as anything you would have from a "double L" canopy.

Ah that takes me back!  I did my first 50 jumps on C9's with
various mods - usually double L's though sometimes I was
lucky enough to get something "hot" like a 7TU or even
"Derry slots".  It was mucho macho to do a standup landing
and not limp away.  The DZ was usually windy enough that you
had to make your approach to the target looking backwards
over your shoulder.

I laid down my life savings and bought a PC.  That's
when a PC was a ParaCommander (not a Personal Computer).

--

Made in New Zealand -->  Brent Callaghan  @ Sun Microsystems
			 Email: brent@Eng.Sun.COM
			 phone: (415) 336 1051

larry@hpfelg.HP.COM (Larry Chapman X3117) (05/22/91)

Leadville, eh?

I've done a demo at 8,500' (Allenspark, CO.) into a packed dirt parking lot.

I wore heavy hiking boots and still broke a small bone in my foot.

My advice:  If it's a no-wind day  -- don't do it!

From  personal  experience,  I don't  believe  the 20% numbers  you've been
getting.  The  difference  between a sea  level  landing  and a landing  at
9,500' is very significant.

Be careful and write a post-jump report!

Oh yea, here are the stats from that jump:

  Canopy:     X-210  (210 sq ft)
  My weight:  150 lbs
  Jumps:      500

-- LSC

tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au (05/24/91)

In article <6138@ptsfa.PacBell.COM>, lmlee@PacBell.COM (Lloyd Lee) writes:
> Reference the high level calculations from our friend from the
> MIT Artificial Intelligent LAB-- just do it, the landing won't
> be as hard as anything you would have from a "double L" canopy.

Hey, let's not dismiss those careful calculations -
they do help the daredevils to assess the risks being
taken.  Notice how much the base jumpers check their
facts before a leap.

The calculations are quite correct, too.  For those with
a distaste for school-stuff, the rule-of-thumb of 2% per
grand increase in terminal velocity may be welcome and
sufficiently accurate.  1.7% if you have a calculator.

Cheers-
Roger Clifton   ---- Kalgoorlie West Australia.

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (05/28/91)

Yes, the calculations shown by the MIT guy seemed correct but an
increase of only 25% in landing speed at 9000' is wrong. It is not
enough and plenty of people have experienced it. Maybe the velocity
square law does not apply and the velocity law in a linear fashion
applies, in this case, the predicted landing speed is about 50-60%
faster (at 9000') than at sea level. This seems more like it.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) (05/29/91)

In article <918@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
>Yes, the calculations shown by the MIT guy seemed correct but an
>increase of only 25% in landing speed at 9000' is wrong. It is not
>enough and plenty of people have experienced it. Maybe the velocity
>square law does not apply and the velocity law in a linear fashion
>applies, in this case, the predicted landing speed is about 50-60%
>faster (at 9000') than at sea level. This seems more like it.

Geez, this seems to be getting into the realm where some real data
would help.  You know, we all go through a good ten grand altitude
differential or more, nearly every time we jump.  Why doesn't someone
borrow a couple of hang glider instruments and take along a recording
walkman.  Hop and pop at ten grand, and read off the altitude, sink
rate, and temperature all the way down.  Thermals and wind will be a
problem, I grant you, but maybe on a calm day at a flat drop zone we
can tell the difference between 25% and 50% increase in sink rates.
Anyone got any good ideas on how best to minimize the contaminants?
Carry a wind speed sensor, and only compare comparable points?  Ignore
it, and model fit to the whole data set?  Whatever, I think something
useful might come out of it.

Just a thought,

--
This is a shared guest account, please send replies to
dbriggs@nrao.edu (Internet)    (505) 835-2974

tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au (05/30/91)

In article <2020017@hpfelg.HP.COM>, larry@hpfelg.HP.COM (Larry Chapman X3117) writes:

> From  personal  experience,  I don't  believe  the 20% numbers  you've been
> getting.  The  difference  between a sea  level  landing  and a landing  at
> 9,500' is very significant.

Well, 20% is 20% more momentum and 44% more kinetic energy.  Pretty significant.

But yes there may be other factors.

For one, there is the effect of viscosity, which decreases strongly with
decreasing temperature.  In the cold, that should increase the circulation
around the airfoil so that lift increases, but should worsen the wingtip
vortexes (ices?) so increasing drag there.  Is anyone familiar with the
theory of airfoils vs viscosity?

  Roger Clifton.