[rec.skydiving] my first reserve ride

coleman@sundae10.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) (05/23/91)

Well, I got my first reserve ride this weekend.  I thought I would
bare my soul for some net-wisdom.  I have 16 jumps (8 using hand-deploy).
I was using a different rig than what I had been using in the past, and
it had the pilot chute in a *slightly* different place than what I had
been using.  For some reason (probably stupidity) I did not do any
practice rip-cord pulls on this jump.  Well, guess what,  when it was
pull time I couldn't find my ripcord.  I tried 3 times, then popped
the reserve (my first time doing this).  Boy was I in for a surprise.
It came out so hard, it about knocked me out.  Now, I have to go to
the chiropractor every day for the next 2 weeks because of whiplash.
It's funny how something as simple as finding your ripcord can become
a problem when you can't spare the time to think about it.  Has anybody
else every had this problem?  Of course, from now on,  I will make sure
to do practice ripcord pulls.  I now understand why they make you do
so many of these during AFF training!!
--
Richard Coleman
GE Aerospace

robbins@ecs.umass.edu (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.195426.17798@ge-dab.GE.COM>, coleman@sundae10.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) writes:
> Well, I got my first reserve ride this weekend.  I thought I would
> bare my soul for some net-wisdom.  I have 16 jumps (8 using hand-deploy).
> I was using a different rig than what I had been using in the past, and
> it had the pilot chute in a *slightly* different place than what I had
> been using.  For some reason (probably stupidity) I did not do any
> practice rip-cord pulls on this jump.  Well, guess what,  when it was
> pull time I couldn't find my ripcord.

This sounds like another case I encountered at Turners Falls in Ma.
That case didnt have a happy ending.  Mitch was using a "new" used
rig.  He also was pulling on a piece of webbing.  Pulled on it all
the way to the ground....

The point for instructors:  Teach them to LOOK at evrything they touch.
Dummy rip cord pulls?   LOOK    Reach    Pull.
Practice emergencies in the harness in the classroom... LOOK at cutaway
reach for cutaway   LOOK for reserve rip cord   reach for reserve
rip cord.

Oh well, Its always good to hear about people who live to learn!

                                            Fun Jumping

                                                  Steve

larry@hpfelg.HP.COM (Larry Chapman X3117) (05/23/91)

> Well, I got my first reserve ride this weekend.  I thought I would
> bare my soul for some net-wisdom.  I have 16 jumps (8 using hand-deploy).
> I was using a different rig than what I had been using in the past, and
> it had the pilot chute in a *slightly* different place than what I had
> been using.  For some reason (probably stupidity) I did not do any
> practice rip-cord pulls on this jump.

Man oh man, at our DZ you get grilled like a fish in a wharf eatery when
you "borrow" someone else's gear.  This is especially true of someone
with so few jumps.

If I were you I'd go to the DZ operators and suggest they implement a
bit more supervision.  I've seen experienced jumpers grope for quite
some time on "strange" gear even when they did practice on the ground.

I good rule of thumb is to pull a grand higher whenever there's any
risk of pulltime "brainlock" for whatever reason.

> Well, guess what,  when it was
> pull time I couldn't find my ripcord.  I tried 3 times, then popped
> the reserve (my first time doing this).  Boy was I in for a surprise.
> It came out so hard, it about knocked me out.  Now, I have to go to
> the chiropractor every day for the next 2 weeks because of whiplash.

Reserves opening at terminal can be vicious.  But boy does a quick
opening feel "good" at 1000'!!

-- LSC

cjackson@adobe.COM (Curtis Jackson) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.195426.17798@ge-dab.GE.COM> coleman@sunny.dab.ge.com (Richard Coleman) writes:
}It's funny how something as simple as finding your ripcord can become
}a problem when you can't spare the time to think about it.  Has anybody
}else every had this problem?  Of course, from now on,  I will make sure
}to do practice ripcord pulls.  I now understand why they make you do
}so many of these during AFF training!!

Indeed.  I haven't jumped in a while, but I always did some practice
pulls before each jump and always had a trick or two in case I couldn't
find the thing.  I used one such trick once.  I was jumping with
thick gloves, and come pull time I couldn't see my handle and couldn't
seem to find it.  I was pulling high anyway so I gave it three
somewhat leisurely tries while glancing at the altimeter.  I then
took some advice I'd once got from an instructor -- I slapped the
outside of my thigh with my hand, slid the hand up my thigh to my
waist, and the handle slipped right into the palm of my hand.
A trick like that one can save you a reserve ride and repack.
--
Curtis Jackson @ Adobe Systems in Mountain View, CA  (415-962-4905)
Internet: cjackson@adobe.com	uucp: ...!{apple|decwrl|sun}!adobe!cjackson

	--- The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

bleck@ai.mit.edu (Olaf Bleck) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.195426.17798@ge-dab.GE.COM>, coleman@sundae10.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) writes:
|> Well, I got my first reserve ride this weekend.

|> I was using a different rig than what I had been using in the past;
|> it had the pilot chute in a *slightly* different place than what I had
|> been using.  For some reason (probably stupidity) I did not do any
|> practice rip-cord pulls on this jump.  Well, guess what,  when it was
|> pull time I couldn't find my ripcord.  I tried 3 times, then popped
|> the reserve (my first time doing this).

Ha!  Welcome to the club!  What you didn't do was ****LOOK**** at your
pilot chute!!!  I've had two reserve rides, in my 50 jumps to date, the
first one on my first throwout, and the second on jump 36, the first
serious RW jump I did this season.  On the first one, I actually induced
a horseshoe, because I got my thumb under the bridal and pulled--the
pilot chute stayed in the pocket until I cut away, when it ripped out.  The second one was just like above!  Felt around for a bit, then with both hands, then the silver handle.  It was not fun, and the more I think about it, the more it scares me.

Anyway, with the student gear I used, the ripcord was always really easy
to find, if you looked or not, which lead to my bad habit.  With the
pilot chute, who knows were it's going to be--often it's out of the
pocket a few inches flapping in the breeze around on your side.  LOOK
until you really see it, and keep looking until you've pulled it out.

-Olaf

joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) (05/24/91)

> practice rip-cord pulls on this jump.  Well, guess what,  when it was
> pull time I couldn't find my ripcord.  I tried 3 times, then popped
> the reserve (my first time doing this).  Boy was I in for a surprise.
> It came out so hard, it about knocked me out.  Now, I have to go to
> the chiropractor every day for the next 2 weeks because of whiplash.
> It's funny how something as simple as finding your ripcord can become
> a problem when you can't spare the time to think about it.  Has anybody
> else every had this problem?  Of course, from now on,  I will make sure

In having this experience, you, of course, are not at all alone!  I know
several people personally to whom this has happened (including myself!).
When it was time for me to look for my first rig (around 20 jumps, recently
off status), I tried several used rigs.  On one of my first throw-out
jumps, the rig I was trying was a little small for me, causing the handle
to ride up a little high on my hip.  Another problem was that the pilot chute
had been folded a little long for the pocket, so there was an inch or two of
slack between the handle and the pocket.  I was also wearing gloves (not thick
ones, mind you).  All of these factors can, and did, result in my first
reserve ride!  It is truly a terrible feeling not to feel or see that nice
little orange handle!  My terminal reserve opening really did not seem that
bad, but then again, my adrenaline must have been at an all-time high.

There are several things to be learned here:

1) Always be careful when jumping an unfamiliar rig.  Do lots of practice
   pulls on the ground (even lying on your stomach), especially if throw-outs
   are new to you.  Throw-outs have a "mushier" feel than ripcords, and
   they can move around more.

2) Be careful when wearing gloves.  I only wear them when I really need
   them, because you can't feel things nearly as well.  If you do wear
   them, make sure your tactile sense is adequate.

3) Folding the pilot chute and positioning the handle well is important.
   I like the handle to feel like it won't move around much during freefall.
   When you get up in the plane on jump run, check the handle's
   position and push the pilot chute back into the pocket if necessary.
   But make sure you are not just pushing down the slack near the pocket
   opening (this will work its way free in freefall!).  I find it is best
   if you cannot pull the handle up without moving the entire pilot
   chute.

4) It IS very possible to have a "lost handle" with a throw-out!  Some
   people tell you that "lost handles" are only a problem with pull-outs.
   NOT TRUE!

Anybody else out there have any other helpful suggestions?  I hope mine
help!

						Joe Peterson  C-20351
						Stardent Computer, Inc.

esj@gnarley.eng.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.195426.17798@ge-dab.GE.COM> coleman@sunny.dab.ge.com (Richard Coleman) writes:
>Well, I got my first reserve ride this weekend.  ...
>I was using a different rig than what I had been using in the past, and
>it had the pilot chute in a *slightly* different place than what I had
>been using.  ... Well, guess what,  when it was
>pull time I couldn't find my ripcord.  I tried 3 times, then popped
>the reserve

This must be more common then I would have thought. Back in march I
watched a friend (and recent AFF graduate) dump a reserve somewhere
under 1000'. She was using rented gear and had the exact same problem
you did, she couldn't find the throw out. It scared the shit out of everyone
who was watching. She was pretty shaken up too. The rig had a altimeter
mounted on the harness right above the cutaway, and this blocked her view
of the throw out pocket. And she spent to much time trying to find it.

The moral is to be familer with the gear you are using. Know by feel
where your throw out, cutaway, and reserve handles are.

Ej
a-12472

P.S.

Two weeks ago, same friend had a hard time getting the throw out
out of the pocket.. (again rented gear, but different rented gear)
Didn't muck around this time. After two unsuccessfull pulls she dumped
the reserve. Had it open nearly before I had my main open ;-)
A lesson learned I would say.

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May22.195426.17798@ge-dab.GE.COM> coleman@sunny.dab.ge.com (Richard Coleman) writes:
>Well, I got my first reserve ride this weekend.  ...
>I was using a different rig than what I had been using in the past, and
>it had the pilot chute in a *slightly* different place than what I had
>been using.  ... Well, guess what,  when it was
>pull time I couldn't find my ripcord.  I tried 3 times, then popped
>the reserve

A couple thoughts here...

There is an old saying; "You always go in on borrowed gear".

It seems there are two things going on in these descriptions of
reserve rides:

First, as mentioned before, is the lackidazical (sp?) pull sequence.  As
a student or a novice, I really cannot stress this more:  You must Look,
then reach and pull.  Students are less accustomed to where all these
handles are than experienced jumpers.  And this is further complicated by
the fact that they will probably jump several different rigs in their 1st 50
jumps (even student rigs vary considerably from one manufacturer to the next).

Secondly, is the "borrowed gear" problem.  Jumping unfamiliar gear is
a prime way to get into trouble.  This may even be more important than the
first issue of looking- particularly as you progress and become more reliant
on handles being in a certain spot and on specific deployment systems.
To witt: the Racer pull-out deployment pud is attached in such a way
that you can not physically see it unless you take the rig off and look from
behind.  The jumper simply finds the right-lower corner of the container,
and by doing so has located the pud completely by feel.  A pull-out system
verses a throw-out system is also a complicator.  Placement of puds/throwouts
has become a bit more regular in the last few years which is good.  Make sure
you are familiar with the deployment system you're renting/borrowing, its
not enough to just "know where the handle is".

Some student rigs come in either dual action cutaway systems or single-point
operation systems, i.e. the former has a conventional cutaway handle and
a seperate reserve handle, the latter has one single handle that performs
both the cutaway and then the reserve deployment.  Jumpers just off
student status should be particularly mindful of these types of
considerations if they find themselves jumping rental gear at some new DZ.

As more schools transition to sport student gear (with square mains *and*
square reserves), there are some students/novices that may never have been
trained on round canopies.  Don't assume your reserve is a square.  Its
a hell-of-a-time to find out as it opens.  Always ask when you
borrow/rent gear whats in it, even if it is a nice new student Vector.

Complacency kills.

I'm outta here...gotta go do 3 days of 20 way...
Blue Skies - hope everyone has a good M-day weekend!
Jerry
--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

brent@terra.Eng.Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) (05/28/91)

In article <13806.283bc58c@ecs.umass.edu>, robbins@ecs.umass.edu writes:
> This sounds like another case I encountered at Turners Falls in Ma.
> That case didnt have a happy ending.  Mitch was using a "new" used
> rig.  He also was pulling on a piece of webbing.  Pulled on it all
> the way to the ground....
>

> The point for instructors:  Teach them to LOOK at evrything they touch.
> Dummy rip cord pulls?   LOOK    Reach    Pull.
> Practice emergencies in the harness in the classroom... LOOK at cutaway
> reach for cutaway   LOOK for reserve rip cord   reach for reserve
> rip cord.

Yup, it's incredible how common this is.  In the days of Capewell
releases it was common to hear of skydivers pulling on the
open Capewell cover instead of the blast handle.

Then with 3 rings folks started pulling on the big ring
of the 3 ring (the one that stays with the harness) instead
of the mini-ripcord handle.

I've seen it in suspended harness training too - students
grappling without looking and sometimes missing the ripcord
handle completely.
--

Made in New Zealand -->  Brent Callaghan  @ Sun Microsystems
			 Email: brent@Eng.Sun.COM

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (05/29/91)

Fido-To: curtis jackson

In a message to Skydive <25 May 91 18:20> uiucuxc!adobe.com!cjackso wrote:

 ui> From  uiucuxc!convex.mitek.com!matt
 ui> From: uiucuxc!adobe.com!cjackson (Curtis Jackson)
 ui> To:   ehsnet.fidonet.org!skydive
 ui> Date: 23 May 91 21:32:50 GMT

 ui> Indeed.  I haven't jumped in a while, but I always did some practice
 ui> pulls before each jump and always had a trick or two in case I couldn't
 ui> find the thing.  I used one such trick once.  I was jumping with
 ui> thick gloves, and come pull time I couldn't see my handle and couldn't
 ui> seem to find it.  I was pulling high anyway so I gave it three
 ui> somewhat leisurely tries while glancing at the altimeter.  I then
 ui> took some advice I'd once got from an instructor -- I slapped the
 ui> outside of my thigh with my hand, slid the hand up my thigh to my
 ui> waist, and the handle slipped right into the palm of my hand.

     I have heard the same thing from very experienced jumpers.

--- XRS!% 4.10
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: The Drop Zone, Dave Appel, 1:231/30.30 (Quick 1:231/30.30)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

tneale@aeras.uucp (Tom Neale) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May24.131353.29231@eng.ufl.edu> esj@gnarley.eng.ufl.edu
(Eric S. Johnson) writes:

>Two weeks ago, same friend had a hard time getting the throw out
>out of the pocket.. (again rented gear, but different rented gear)
>Didn't muck around this time. After two unsuccessfull pulls she dumped
>the reserve. Had it open nearly before I had my main open ;-)

Allow me to re-post an article from September of 1988 along the
same lines...The jump numbers have increased since then.

----
My wife, Ann, had her first reserve ride weekend before last.  It was
a total.  No fun.

She's got 33 jumps and started and graduated from the AFF course at
Skydance this summer after 8 jumps, only repeated level 7 once. In
case you couldn't tell I'm very proud of her!

Ann hadn't jumped for 4 weeks because of the wedding and honeymoon
and had made only one jump so far that day. She still feels a bit
uneasy about packing her rig by herself and prefers some
supervision.  Oh yeah, she has a Talon with loaner canopies, a Raven
2 main (too big but good for a start) and a Hobbit reserve.  I was
very busy with some 16-24 ways that day and had very little time to
assist her with packing. In fact while she packing just before the
reserve ride I had to run to the plane and hardly said Bye! (guilt,
guilt, guilt).

Well as it turns out she had a question about how to fold the pilot
chute for her rig and asked it of someone else.  The response she
got was not what she had used in the past but it went in the pocket
OK.  Can you see it coming, yet?

Anyway, to make a short story long, at 2500' she reached back for
the pilot chute handle, found it and tugged. It wouldn't come out,
she made her choice and dumped the Hobbit instead.

When I next saw her on the ground she had a gold Hobbit wrapped
around her arms instead of a brown Raven and I immediately knew
there had been a problem. She explained it all and then I tugged on
the pilot chute. It stuck, but a good hard yank brought it out. It
looked like this:

			O       <-- handle
			|	<-- long skinny section

		      ( @ )	<-- wad of material at the bottom
		       ---

She said that she had a plan in her mind that if it didn't come out
on the first pull she'd use her reserve.  She stuck to the plan.
She also said that she remembered the story I had told her about
Jeannie McCoombs and how she died. Jeannie was chided about using a
reserve because of a stuck pilot chute. The next time it happened
Jeannie spent the rest of her life trying to get it free.
Ann also said how the decision to use the reserve was all calm
and businesslike, no panic, no problem, just do it. And best of all
the Hobbit was a "zippy" canopy and she likes it very much.

Everyone who talked to her about it applauded her decision. She had
absolutley made the right choice and was glad to see her decision
reinforced Yes, I did show her the right way the fold the pilot
chute for her rig.

Moral(s) of the story:

	1. When in doubt, whip it out (your reserve that is). He
           (or she) who hesitates loses, big.

	2. If someone asks you about how to pack gear that you are
           not thoroughly familiar with decline to answer and please
           refer them to a rigger or at least someone uses the same
           type of gear.

	3. Never give anyone a hard time about choosing to ride a
           perfectly good reserve down.  They made the choice, not
           you, and they are still alive to tell you about it.
--
Blue skies,     | ...sun!aeras!tneale   |
                | in flight:     N2103Q | Entropy isn't what it used
Tom Neale       | in freefall:   D8049  | to be.
                | via the ether: WA1YUB |