[rec.skydiving] <None>

Clifton_RL@cc.curtin.edu.au (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov11.152602.18547@crl.dec.com>, geer@crl.dec.com (Dan Geer) writes:
> Anyone have a terminal velocity wind chill table?

It's pretty hot round here, but if I understand the concept of wind chill
correctly, it is referring to prolonged exposure, rather than brief as in
free falls.

Then, the surface of one's skin has time to equilibrate with the
radiation balance, the fine arteries have closed up and a temperature
gradient has developed across the fat layer.

After all noone frets at dipping a naked hand into the freezer for an ice cream.

For that matter, 40 seconds in freefall for a moderately protected jumper doesnt
represent much of a heat loss.  It is the two minutes of gliding with your
hands in the wind that gives you the blue knuckles because only then can
your flesh lose all the heat.

Try checking the canopy etc, but still leaving your keepers in the toggles
until one grand - the CRW minimum cutaway height.

Cheers!	           Roger Clifton, Kalgoorlie, West Australia

geer@crl.dec.com (Dan Geer) (05/10/91)

someone just offered me a chance to jump out of their plane.

this is mucho premature for this novice, but i do have a
question then - who/where/when/how is this permitted?

a pointer to a reference would be fine.

--dan

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.194510.3844@crl.dec.com> geer@crl.dec.com (Dan Geer) writes:
>someone just offered me a chance to jump out of their plane.
>
>this is mucho premature for this novice, but i do have a
>question then - who/where/when/how is this permitted?
>
>a pointer to a reference would be fine.

Reference pointer:

Federal Aviation Regulations Part 105.

You can find most of the important stuff in the Skydiver's Information Manual -
that ugly blue binder that sits on the corner of every packing table in the
United States.

Basically, if you are going to jump at the DZ you'll need.
-premission of the DZ/Airport owner.
-A plane STCed for door removal.
-An emergency rig for the pilot.
-Written notification of the nearest FAA Flight Service Station.

Blue Skies.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

robie@umbc2.umbc.edu (Mr. William Robie; POSI (GRAD)) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.232752.24042@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) writes...
>In article <1991May9.194510.3844@crl.dec.com> geer@crl.dec.com (Dan Geer) writes:
>>someone just offered me a chance to jump out of their plane.
>>this is mucho premature for this novice, but i do have a
>>question then - who/where/when/how is this permitted?
>>a pointer to a reference would be fine.
>
>Basically, if you are going to jump at the DZ you'll need.
>-premission of the DZ/Airport owner.
>-A plane STCed for door removal.
>-An emergency rig for the pilot.
>-Written notification of the nearest FAA Flight Service Station.
>
>-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

As usual, Dale is right ... but lest there be no confusion (your posting
wasn't 100% clear), you also SHOULD have LESSONS!  I certainly hope, in
this day and age, that nobody would let some buddy with an old parachute
and a pilot's license talk them into becoming a sport-death parachutist...
but it has happened in the past.  If you are a TOTAL novice, go to a
competent parachuting center and learn how first.

Actually, the law does not require you to have instruction before jumping
out of a plane ... but it doesn't require you to have instructions before
sucking on a gun barrel with your toe on the trigger, either. (the gun is
cheaper ... and aviation doesn't get blamed for the death that way).

Blue ... and safe ... skies!

Bill

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May9.194510.3844@crl.dec.com> geer@crl.dec.com (Dan Geer) writes:
>someone just offered me a chance to jump out of their plane.
>this is mucho premature for this novice, but i do have a
>question then - who/where/when/how is this permitted?
There is a lot of things to check for if you want to do this safely.
First of all, is the pilot knowledgeable about dropping skydivers? If
not, pass. If he is, the door of the airplane will have to be removed.
Can the airplane be flown without it? Does the pilot own a chute (must
be a reserve (certified and up-to-date))? Where would you be jumping? On
top of a city, a field, a dropzone? If on top of a city, the FAA has to
be notified. (Of, course, what I'm telling you are the things that
should be done for a *legal* jump. If the jump is illegal, then make
sure the pilot knows he could loose his/her license for life if
caught...)
Then come the safety factors: tape anything (with strong tape) that
would interfer with your exit, rehearse on the ground with your
equipment on, check for where you could get stuck, or where your
equipment could get caught, ripped, etc.... Practice exit signals with
the pilots: he won't be able to hear anything with the door off. Can he
fly the airplane after a cut, the door off and maybe you hanging on a
strut? Airplanes have a way of flying differently with these conditions,
etc...
In other words, there are a lot more variables, more than could (and
will) go wrong when jumping off an airplane which is not a regular jump
plane. USE EXTREME CAUTION.
Good luck!
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

geer@crl.dec.com (Dan Geer) (05/17/91)

i started this question of ``where can you jump''
somewhat inadequately it would seem.

point one, i *am* in training and know enough to
stick with it, etc., etc., etc.  what i wanted
to know is where is it ``ok'' to jump.

what i have been offered is a hell of a ride in
a stunt plane culminating in a unbelted exit from
the stunt plane on a barrel roll.  i've seen it
done, these folks do it from time to time...

got that?

	1. canopy back

	2. ignore fasten-seat-belt sign

	3. roll plane (including a more or less zero g upside down arch)

	4. exit upside down

who knows what lurks..

--dan

geer@crl.dec.com (Dan Geer) (06/06/91)