[rec.skydiving] Queen Air Crash > MD

chrise@wa4mei.UUCP (Chris England) (06/07/91)

Anyone have any poop on the queen air crash, that occured last Sun
at the Skydiving Center of Greater D.C.?  I was speaking to a friend,
and well known skydiver in that area that relayed the info to me,
butwas unsure of some details.

The info that I have, is that one of the engines went out on takeoff.
Apparently tried to land in someones backyard, and approx 1 min + the
damn thing blew.  No deaths, however some injuries were reported, infact,
to of my former jump mates are still licking wounds.

--
<> Chris England               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<> Brock Control Systems      <> uucp: ...!gatech!emory!bcs800!chrise         <>

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (06/11/91)

In article <1168@wa4mei.UUCP> chrise@wa4mei.UUCP (Chris England) writes:
>Anyone have any poop on the queen air crash, that occured last Sun
>at the Skydiving Center of Greater D.C.?  I was speaking to a friend,
>and well known skydiver in that area that relayed the info to me,
>butwas unsure of some details.
>
>The info that I have, is that one of the engines went out on takeoff.
>Apparently tried to land in someones backyard, and approx 1 min + the
>damn thing blew.  No deaths, however some injuries were reported, infact,
>to of my former jump mates are still licking wounds.

I spoke to one of the jumpers on board, and an unamed source at USPA.

It appears the left engine sputtered on climb out (~200') and finally froze.
Discrepncy as to whether or not the pilot did a 180 to attempt to land
back at the airport (I don't think so).  Put it down in a field where it
ground looped, jostling the passengers around quite a bit.  I saw bruises
which were claimed from the event.  Pilot was cut above one eye, chest
bruises (maybe a busted rib(s)), minor lacerations.  Other folks'
injuries included one broken nose, and in general scrapes and bruises.
I believe 3 people were taken to area hospitals but none were seriously
injured (I don't even think any were admitted).

My version says the left wing tank ruptured on landing and the caught
fire (after everyone was out).

Jerry

--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland