[rec.skydiving] Long Time Between Jumps

lmlee@PacBell.COM (Lloyd Lee) (06/07/91)

It has been a long time since I last made a jump (about 21 years) and I
have been thinking about celebrating my 50th birthday with a jump.  I
have 181 jumps (C-3665) so believe that I still have a good feel for what
to do.  My aging Paracommander still appears OK and I plan to use it for
the freefall.

My questions are these:  1)  Will I have to take the basic PLF class
(normally an all-day class) or just show proficency to the instructor.
2)  What does it cost to now join USPA since I believe that that is
a requirement? 3)  Will a statement from my local doctor stating that
I am physically fit be adequate or must I get a physical at a drop zone?
4) What does it cost to make a 7200 ft freefall now-a-days?  I assume
that I will have to make a static line jump first to demonstrate
proper positioning-true?

My highest jump was from 13,000 ft. and I feel very confident about
my abilities even though I haven't made any jumps in a long time.

Lloyd Lee
Ft. Sill Sport Parachute Team 1965-1967
--
Lloyd Lee

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/11/91)

In article <6172@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> lmlee@PacBell.COM (Lloyd Lee) writes:
>It has been a long time since I last made a jump (about 21 years) and I
>have been thinking about celebrating my 50th birthday with a jump.  I
>have 181 jumps (C-3665) so believe that I still have a good feel for what
>to do.  My aging Paracommander still appears OK and I plan to use it for
>the freefall.

HAVE IT CHECKED BY A RIGGER! A 21 year old PC (or any other parachute)
that has not been jumped should be thouroughly checked from top to
bottom. What about the rig? Does it demand a front-mounted reserve? Most
drop zones will be very nervous to let someone jump with these kinds of
rigs now. (primarily because most current instructors never jumped with
one!)

>My questions are these:  1)  Will I have to take the basic PLF class
>(normally an all-day class) or just show proficency to the instructor.
>2)  What does it cost to now join USPA since I believe that that is
>a requirement? 3)  Will a statement from my local doctor stating that
>I am physically fit be adequate or must I get a physical at a drop zone?
>4) What does it cost to make a 7200 ft freefall now-a-days?  I assume
>that I will have to make a static line jump first to demonstrate
>proper positioning-true?
If you jump at a USPA affiliated dropzone, USPA recommends (or is it
demands?) that you retake a first-jump class. Joining USPA is about $30.
There should not be a need for medical statement, unless you are in poor
physical shape and/or have some serious "handicaps".

>My highest jump was from 13,000 ft. and I feel very confident about
>my abilities even though I haven't made any jumps in a long time.
Altitude should not be an issue.
Good luck and have a blast.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (06/11/91)

In article <6172@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> lmlee@PacBell.COM (Lloyd Lee) writes:
>It has been a long time since I last made a jump (about 21 years) and I
>have been thinking about celebrating my 50th birthday with a jump.  I
>have 181 jumps (C-3665) so believe that I still have a good feel for what
>to do.  My aging Paracommander still appears OK and I plan to use it for
>the freefall.

Lloyd:

I would whole heartedly encourage you to contact a local USPA affiliated DZ
and go for it.  However, *I* would have some *serious* misgivings about
doing it as you describe.

1. I would be very careful about jumping *anything* 21 years old - much
less a used PC (though now that I think about it, all our Cessnas are older
than I am:-).  When was the last time it was packed?  Where has it been
stored for over twenty years? Have the suspensions lines or canopy material
degraded yet?  How much?  I would *strongly* suggest you have a master rigger
look it over before even considering it. Do you have a harness that is
jumpable and risers to match?  How about a reserve?  You will probably need a
bellywart if you have a harness as old as the parachute, and this may be a
problem if you don't have one.  How long since it's last inspection and repack?
Will either of these canopies survive a terminal opening?  (Deterioration
is frequently not obvious to the naked/untrained eye.)

2. It has been 21 years since you jumped.  You may feel like you remember it
all, but you probably don't. (Falling stable is easy, do you recall all your
emergency procedures? emerg landings? aircraft procedures? canopy control?)
Do you *really* remember what it was like landing your PC?  Do you want to
subject your body to that again? At age 50?  (Do you weigh more now than you
did at 29? How are the ol' ankles holding up?  Any back problems?...)

3. Even if you and your equipment pass muster, USPA regs require that you
do a referesher and at least (yech!) a static line jump and then a
5 second delay (as I recall).  But the student program has advanced much beyond
what you knew.  There are alternatives to the static line today that
can get you into freefall directly (the AFF course) and is a damn sight
safer and far less likely to incur injury.

>My questions are these:  1)  Will I have to take the basic PLF class
>(normally an all-day class) or just show proficency to the instructor.

You will definitely have to show proficiency, and will probably have to use
their gear (which will be probably be quite different than yours).  Whether
they require you do the entire First Jump Course will depend on your
performance, physical ability, the DZ staff and their policies.

>2)  What does it cost to now join USPA since I believe that that is
>a requirement?

$35 US (I think).  Its not required except at USPA affiliated DZs.  But then,
its a free country, you don't even have to go to a DZ if you can find a
pilot to fly you and observe the FARs.  The USPA has provided standardized
and safe training programs over the years, and represents the sport in
Washington (i.e FAA).  They also provide some liability insurance for
members and/or students operating out of affiliated DZs.  So you have the
right idea.

>3)  Will a statement from my local doctor stating that
>I am physically fit be adequate or must I get a physical at a drop zone?

You will be asked to sign a liability waiver and medical waiver stating that
you do not suffer from diabetes, chronic heart problems, mental problems,
etc.  (Standard disclaimer stuff - if you have had /or do still have any of
these problems, you will probably need a Doctor's ok AND the waiver). And
that you won't sue anybody for anything no matter what.

You will also have to be able to satisfactorily perform PLFs, and any other
physical activies required by the sport (like a 1/2 mile hike in all your gear
in 90+ degree heat from a poor spot:- of course this won't likely be
necessary if you jump a square main. hint)

>4) What does it cost to make a 7200 ft freefall now-a-days?  I assume
>that I will have to make a static line jump first to demonstrate
>proper positioning-true?

Experienced, *current*, jumpers generally pay about ($1/1000' + $4), so a
7000' exit would run about $11.

You may have to (and I would suggest that you do) take the entire AFF ground
school.  This will run $250 to $300 and is an all day affair.  But you
will then get to do a 50 second delay, using the today's >sport< equipment:
tandem container (for you new folks, thats what they called
the first rigs with both the main and reserve on the back:- not to be
confused with Tandem(tm) jumping), high performance square canopies, radio
assist for canopy control, and video of the whole affair if you want it
(and if your DZ offers it).  You will probably not have to do the entire
student curriculum if it all comes back pretty quick.

The freefall is just as fun as it used to be, and
the square canopies land you Soooo much softer!  (Also, you'll appreciate
the fact that the squares, due to their superior range and drive, have
practicly eliminated spotting as a skill in today's jumpers:- you have
to really try to blow the spot:-)

>My highest jump was from 13,000 ft. and I feel very confident about
>my abilities even though I haven't made any jumps in a long time.

(My highest jump was 17500, so there :-)

Err on the side of caution, Lloyd...its been a long time.  I hope you
pursue this, but be prepared to (re)start with current technology.
*Then*, once your current again, go back and decide if a nostalga jump
on a 21 year old Para-Commander (and no telling what kind of harness/container)
is worth doing.  I started on T10s and PCs too, and think it might be fun -
but then its only been 21 hours since my last jump (and only 11 years since
my last PC jump, and no one's asked me to jump a canopy that's been
in their closet since *I* was 12. :-:-:-).

>Lloyd Lee
>Ft. Sill Sport Parachute Team 1965-1967
>--
>Lloyd Lee

Good luck, blue skies!

Jerry Sobieski
AFF Instuctor, D-7644

--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (06/12/91)

In article <6172@ptsfa.PacBell.COM>, lmlee@PacBell.COM (Lloyd Lee) writes:
> It has been a long time since I last made a jump (about 21 years) and I
> have been thinking about celebrating my 50th birthday with a jump.  I
> have 181 jumps (C-3665) so believe that I still have a good feel for what
> to do.  My aging Paracommander still appears OK and I plan to use it for
> the freefall.
>
> My questions are these:  1)  Will I have to take the basic PLF class
> (normally an all-day class) or just show proficency to the instructor.
> 2)  What does it cost to now join USPA since I believe that that is
> a requirement? 3)  Will a statement from my local doctor stating that
> I am physically fit be adequate or must I get a physical at a drop zone?
> 4) What does it cost to make a 7200 ft freefall now-a-days?  I assume
> that I will have to make a static line jump first to demonstrate
> proper positioning-true?

1) absolutely nothing is 'required'.
2) $36.50 for non-current former members.  Once again 'not required'.
3) most DZ's (if not all) & the USPA will want a 'medical statement'.
4) anywhere from $1 per 1000' to $1 per 1000' + $5.
The USPA (Skydiver's Information Manual 4.28, Currency Jumps) says
that a C-licensed jumper that has not made a freefall jump in the
preceeding 120 days should make at least one clear and pull, not to
exceed 5 seconds in duration, before engaging in longer freefall
delays.

> My highest jump was from 13,000 ft. and I feel very confident about
> my abilities even though I haven't made any jumps in a long time.

You probably are, but notwithstanding my comments above, and although
you could legally get your reserve repacked, find a willing pilot with
aircraft, and 'do it your way', I also think you SHOULD:

1) go to a local DZ, hang out for a day or two, and be amazed at what
technology has done to the sport in the last 21 years.
2) attend a first jump course (they range from $85 to 3 or 4 times that,
depending on what type of jump you want to make.
3) do it 'their way'.  Once again, you will be amazed!
4) then, for 'grins and giggles', jump your PC.  Have a rigger that has
been around for a while inspect it and pack your reserve.
5) join POPS if you haven't already.  (Parachutists Over Phorty Society)
$15.00 for a life time membership in one of the most serious tongue-in-cheek
outfits you will ever join.
6) go to the POPS nationals in August in Xenia Ohio.  Hang out with those
much older than 50 who are still actively jumping.

> Lloyd Lee

Blue skies and soft landings,

Mike Spurgeon        West Virginia Skydivers
Internet: mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu