[rec.skydiving] Two squares

eric@fluke.tc.fluke.com (Eric Anderson) (06/11/91)

This weekend I was on a jump where one of the jumpers ended up with
both canopies out at once. They were both squares. I think that
the main was a Fury and the reserve was a Raven II.

I was amazed by how nicely the 2 canopies flew together. They were in
a perfect side-by-side formation with no bumping or oscillating.
The jumper flew them together for 5 to 10 seconds before cutting away
the main. He landed without further incident.

Was this normal, or was he lucky? The jumper didn't do anything,
(turns, etc.) to upset the status quo while assessing the situation.
"Conventional Wisdom" says that 2 squares will wrap around each other
in this situation.

Somebody else must have experienced this or seen it before,
What happened to them? Did they get a wrap? or their own
personal downplane?

Gives a new meaning to CRW, doesn't it?

Eric Anderson
D-13286
eric@tc.fluke.com

Sometimes anecdotal evidence is all we have to work with.

bunda@cs.utexas.edu (John Bunda) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.163000.2062@tc.fluke.COM> eric@fluke.tc.fluke.com (Eric Anderson) writes:

>Somebody else must have experienced this or seen it before,
>What happened to them? Did they get a wrap? or their own
>personal downplane?

I have seen a personal downplane when an AAD fired shortly before/after
the main was deployed.  The jumper cut away the main and landed the
reserve without incident.  This was about a month ago, a Manta with
a Sharchuter reserve.
--
John Bunda * bunda@cs.utexas.edu * {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!bunda

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.163000.2062@tc.fluke.COM>, eric@fluke.tc.fluke.com (Eric Anderson) writes:
(stuff deleted)
> I was amazed by how nicely the 2 canopies flew together. They were in
> a perfect side-by-side formation with no bumping or oscillating.
> The jumper flew them together for 5 to 10 seconds before cutting away
> the main. He landed without further incident.
(more deleted)
> "Conventional Wisdom" says that 2 squares will wrap around each other
> in this situation.

I'm not so sure there _is_ anything approaching 'conventional wisdom' on
this situation.  It must be fairly rare so far.  All I can recall is
speculation on 'your own personal downplane', the above mentioned side-
by-side, and requests for information if anyone sees it happen.

And so it goes.  We've added to the sum total of 'what we need to know'.
Thanks for the post.

Blue skies & soft landings,

Mike Spurgeon
Internet: mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

sasdvp@skydiver.unx.sas.com (David V. Phillips) (06/12/91)

It's gratifying to hear of two squares out without incident...especially since I replaced my Phantom 26 with a PD193R about 6 months ago.

If you or anyone you know ends up with two squares out, how about writing a letter about the experience and send it to either USPA or PIA.  I know that one of those groups is looking for this type of report.

Don't send a letter on behalf of someone you know...convince them to write it up first hand  (of course, it'd be neat to get it posted)
--
David Phillips         sasdvp@dev.sas.com
"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary