[rec.skydiving] oops

csa@sw.stratus.com (Chris Arthur) (06/18/91)

A friend of mine passed this on to me...

>From (of course) alt.folklore.urban, so it must be true :-)

It's not uncommon for novice parachutists to flail about a bit, so I'm suprised
that the people organizing it allowed the possibility of the parachutist
connecting with the plane.  Having said this, here is one I heard from
a instructor:

People usually start out doing "static line" jumps where there is a cord
attached to the 'chute which deploys it when the person jumps out.  This
line is looped through the back of the 'chute so that it doesn't get
tangled up.  An instructor was in the habit of putting a peg through the
loop to signify that he hasn't performed the final check. He forgets to
do the check and remove the peg so the novice jumps out and is left trailing
behind the plane because the peg prevents the line from unwinding.

The the novice panics and pulls the emergency 'chute.  This opens and also
trails behind the plane acting as an air-brake.  The plane stalls and
falls out of the sky.  The arrangement is now: emergency 'chute on top
with novice underneath.  Dangling from the novice (and also supported
by the 'chute) is the plane containing pilot, instructor and other novices.

This descends to the ground.  The plane hits the ground fairly fast,
but slow enough so that the only injury is one broken arm.  The dangling
novice then slows down and lands on plane with no ill effects.

        Steve Austin

					Chris Arthur
					csa@sw.stratus.com

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/19/91)

In article <6187@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> csa@sw.stratus.com (Chris Arthur) writes:
>It's not uncommon for novice parachutists to flail about a bit, so I'm suprised
>that the people organizing it allowed the possibility of the parachutist
>connecting with the plane.  Having said this, here is one I heard from
>a instructor:
>
>People usually start out doing "static line" jumps where there is a cord
>attached to the 'chute which deploys it when the person jumps out.  This
>line is looped through the back of the 'chute so that it doesn't get
>tangled up.  An instructor was in the habit of putting a peg through the
>loop to signify that he hasn't performed the final check. He forgets to
>do the check and remove the peg so the novice jumps out and is left trailing
>behind the plane because the peg prevents the line from unwinding.
>
>The the novice panics and pulls the emergency 'chute.  This opens and also
>trails behind the plane acting as an air-brake.  The plane stalls and
>falls out of the sky.  The arrangement is now: emergency 'chute on top
>with novice underneath.  Dangling from the novice (and also supported
>by the 'chute) is the plane containing pilot, instructor and other novices.
>
>This descends to the ground.  The plane hits the ground fairly fast,
>but slow enough so that the only injury is one broken arm.  The dangling
>novice then slows down and lands on plane with no ill effects.

I have seen a picture somewhere of such an event: it showed very clearly
a parachute (with a live body underneath) and a (static) line going down
with a Cessna (was it?) attached to it. Amusing.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (06/19/91)

In article <6187@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, csa@sw.stratus.com (Chris Arthur) writes:
> A friend of mine passed this on to me...
>
> >From (of course) alt.folklore.urban, so it must be true :-)

True story.  In England, if I'm not mistaken.  See picture in
Dan Poynter's book (or was it Russ Gunby's?) for details.

I taught this possibility to my first jump students for years,
back when we had pins and cones instead of soft loops and/or
direct bag deployment.

Shows how easy we have it now, right?

Mike Spurgeon
Internet: mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (06/19/91)

In article <3529@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) writes:
>In article <6187@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, csa@sw.stratus.com (Chris Arthur) writes:
>> A friend of mine passed this on to me...
>>
>> >From (of course) alt.folklore.urban, so it must be true :-)
>
>True story.  In England, if I'm not mistaken.  See picture in
>Dan Poynter's book (or was it Russ Gunby's?) for details.
>
>I taught this possibility to my first jump students for years,
>back when we had pins and cones instead of soft loops and/or
>direct bag deployment.

Yeah. I used to teach it also if only for the possibility that a
frontloop off the step with a static line could result in the ol'
Student-In-Tow situation.

We would say to the students, "If you are conscious, put both hands on your
head.  As soon as the JM cuts the S/L, pull your reserve.  If you are
unconcsious, don't worry about it." (:-)

But seriously, if the student was out of it, the JM was supposed to do this
Rambo imitation, where, with flip-knife firmly gripped between teeth, he
would attach a caribiner (sp) to his harnes and the static line, let himself
slowly down the static line, grab the student's reserve handle, cut the S/L,
pull the reserve, track off and dump himself.

We always figured the JM would lose it letting himself down the S/L,
slamm down into the student and drop the knife:-.  Good thing we
never had reason to test the theory.

Blue Skies
Jerry
--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (06/20/91)

In article <35803@mimsy.umd.edu>, jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) writes:
> We would say to the students, "If you are conscious, put both hands on your
> head.  As soon as the JM cuts the S/L, pull your reserve.  If you are
> unconcsious, don't worry about it." (:-)
>
> But seriously, if the student was out of it, the JM was supposed to do this
> Rambo imitation, where, with flip-knife firmly gripped between teeth, he
> would attach a caribiner (sp) to his harnes and the static line, let himself
> slowly down the static line, grab the student's reserve handle, cut the S/L,
> pull the reserve, track off and dump himself.
>
> We always figured the JM would lose it letting himself down the S/L,
> slamm down into the student and drop the knife:-.  Good thing we
> never had reason to test the theory.

One of our instructors, Mig Fernandez, always told his students, If I ever
have to climb down the static line, and then find you conscious, I'll
knock you out.

Mike Spurgeon

SKYDIVE@f15.n233.z1.FIDONET.ORG (SKYDIVE) (06/20/91)

Fido-To: uiucuxc!sw.stratus.com!csa

 U> A friend of mine passed this on to me...

>From (of course) alt.folklore.urban, so it must be true :-)
 U> ============================================================

 U> tangled up.  An instructor was in the habit of putting a peg through the
 U> loop to signify that he hasn't performed the final check.

Pretty stupid.

 U> The the novice panics and pulls the emergency 'chute.  This opens and also
 U> trails behind the plane acting as an air-brake.  The plane stalls and
 U> falls out of the sky.  The arrangement is now: emergency 'chute on top
 U> with novice underneath.  Dangling from the novice (and also supported
 U> by the 'chute) is the plane containing pilot, instructor and other novices.

 U> This descends to the ground.  The plane hits the ground fairly fast,
 U> but slow enough so that the only injury is one broken arm.  The dangling
 U> novice then slows down and lands on plane with no ill effects.

It is not urban folklore.  This did actually happen and there is a picture of
it.

--- msged 2.07
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: <X> Infinity Ltd. (1:102/853)
--
SKYDIVE - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)

wyzenbeekm@gtephx.UUCP (Mark Wyzenbeek) (06/20/91)

In article <978@lhdsy1.chevron.com>, yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

> I have seen a picture somewhere of such an event: it showed very clearly
> a parachute (with a live body underneath) and a (static) line going down
> with a Cessna (was it?) attached to it. Amusing.

This situation (prior to the student pulling the reserve) is called
"student in tow".

As a Jumpmaster, I always carry a hook knife, and verify that annother knife
is available in the jump plane, just in case.

With modern gear, this is nearly impossible, but we train for it anyway.

Mark Wyzenbeek  D-12755 JM91 YSA143

----
--
Mark Wyzenbeek
AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE CS), Phoenix, AZ