[rec.skydiving] Graph of osc'n due to high windforce

tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au (06/11/91)

RE:  IMPACT WITH ATMOSPHERE:  High speed exits

The high altitude record jump from 120 000 ft will also achieve
a record airspeed of 750 mph and then impact the atmosphere
with 1.6 gees according to the simulation, nearby on the
bulletin board.

Once these jumpers have achieved the record airspeed (it will
be a record regardless), this number will be something of a
wow in itself, but a bigger achievement among skydivers will
be the handling of sustained excess wind force.

The violence of the forces affecting a jumper goes up as the
square.  Have you ever exited above terminal?  You know all
about it!  There is a realisation of imminent hazard,
particularly of the increased tendency to oscillate or rock.

Beyond oscillation is the tendency to tumble.  In the
sustained wind force of the high altitude jump, the jumpers
will have to ensure they do not tumble to the point of red-
out.

If anyone wants to train for excess wind force, they can get
the required wind by exiting a plane at an airspeed v where-

v2/Vt2 = no of gees

so that v = Vt * sqrt( no of gees )

eg:  if you are training for 1.21 gees, you can exit at

v = Vt * sqrt(1.21) = 120 * 1.1 mph = 132 mph.  (ie 120
knots).  Similarly 1.44 gees requires another 10% of airspeed.
That's if you exit at modest altitudes where Vt is 120 mph or
so.

Mind you, it wont last long, just a taste of the impact.

Here is airspeed for an exit from a plane at 160 mph (142
knots) for an exit impact of 1.8 gees.  The simulation assumes
a normal posture of the jumper can be maintained against the
wind and that the exit is made with the body inclined at 45
degrees to the wind.  Since this means that the impact will
lift this jumper above the exit point, there is a risk of
hitting the tail of the plane.

An assumption is made too, that the jumper is normally
well-damped, that is, (s)he is a quite stable freefaller.  Yet
the simulation clearly shows oscillation:

   0        v    AIRSPEED, mph                           v   160
 -90        a    ANGLE OF TILT ON WIND                   a    90
   0        f    WIND FORCE, N/kg                        f    40
.               .       f       .               a               v
.  jiggle in    .      f        .               a              v.
.  wind force   .        f      .        a      .             v .
.  due to posture        f      . a             .           v   .
.  changes      .       f    a  .               .          v    .
.               .      f   a    .  oscillation  .         v     .
.               .     f      a  .               .        v      .
.               .    f         a.               .      v        .
.               .   f           a               .     v         .
.               .  f            .a              .    v          .
.1              .  f            a               .   v           .
.               . f            a.               .   v           .
.               .f             a. flat          .  v            .
.               .f             a. on            . v             .
.               f one          a. wind          .v              .
.               f gee          a.               v               .
.              f.              a.               v 120 mph       .
.              f.              a.              v.               .
.              f.              a.             v .               .
.             f .              a.             v .               .
.2            f .              a.            v  .               .

If you want a copy of the simulator, just ask.

Roger Clifton     Kalgoorlie West Australia.

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/13/91)

Yes, I am interested by the simulator code.
Also, one thing does not seem obvious to me: I understand why the
velocity will be *high* but why are you expecting stability problems?
First of all, gravity will be the only driving force pulling down (no
energy will come from the skydiver, he/she will be "passive"). Second,
the atmosphere density will be *small* up there. The terminal velocity
will be reached when the force due to the gravity pull * mass of
skydiver will equal the force of drag the skydiver is creating due to
his/her passage thru the atmosphere.
Intuitively to me, there should not be any difference with the feel of
"regular" terminal velocity.
Also, why the 1.3 g? Should it not be 1? How could it be above 1 since
the skydiver is not inputting energy? He/she won't have a rocket up
their butt, will they?
Just curious.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (06/14/91)

In article <950@lhdsy1.chevron.com>, yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
> Yes, I am interested by the simulator code.
> Also, one thing does not seem obvious to me: I understand why the
> velocity will be *high* but why are you expecting stability problems?
(stuff deleted)
> Also, why the 1.3 g? Should it not be 1? How could it be above 1 since
> the skydiver is not inputting energy? He/she won't have a rocket up
> their butt, will they?
> Just curious.

At a guess, the 1.3 G's is because the atmosphere is acting to
'decelerate' the jumper from his previous high velocity.  Mass
and inertia still apply.

Regarding stability, Col. Kittenger felt he could have done
without the 6 foot drogue, and that stability was _not_ a
problem.

Keep in mind that a premature deployment would be fatal.

Mike Spurgeon
Internet: mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

kevin@nodecg.ncc.telecomwa.oz.au (Kevin Spencer) (06/14/91)

In article <3518@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) writes:
>In article <950@lhdsy1.chevron.com>, yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
>> Yes, I am interested by the simulator code.

Getting briefly back to the original article...

I get the impression it was implying that someone had jumped or is going to
jump from 120 000 ft. My knowledge of things like the thickness of the
atmosphere is a little hazy, but isn't that getting almost out of the
atmosphere? Just wondering if someone could fill me in on the details of
this jump. If it's able to be done, I could think of little to beat it in
terms of a high :-)

--
Kevin Spencer                   _.-_|\       I know it's stolen, but
17 Winchelsea Rd NOLLAMARA     /      \      the picture's brilliant

greeny@wotan.top.cis.syr.edu (Jonathan Greenfield) (06/14/91)

In article <950@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

>Also, why the 1.3 g? Should it not be 1? How could it be above 1 since
>the skydiver is not inputting energy? He/she won't have a rocket up
>their butt, will they?
>Just curious.

If one goes from a velocity of ~750 mph to normal, low altitude terminal
(around 600 mph difference), then obviously, there must be a net upward
acceleration.  In other words, the deceleration due to atmospheric drag must
be greater than the acceleration due to gravitational pull, in order for the
diver to slow down.  How large the upward acceleration is depends upon
how quickly the atmospheric density is changing.  If there is a fairly sharp
increase in density at some point, one would expect to experience a
significant upward acceleration (a shock).  It shouldn't be too surprising
that the drag exceeds 1 g.  You've experienced a noticeable >1 g drag before,
right--when you pull your main?

As for energy, sure the diver is inputting energy.  The plane gives the diver
a lot of potential energy.  Whey the diver jumps out, some of that energy is
converted to kinetic energy.  When the drag kicks in, some of the energy gets
converted to heat, sound, etc.  One hopes that by the time the diver reaches
the ground, almost all of that energy has been expended!!

greeny                                           greeny@top.cis.syr.edu

"What's the difference between an orange?"

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/16/91)

In article <3518@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) writes:
>In article <950@lhdsy1.chevron.com>, yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
>> Yes, I am interested by the simulator code.
>> Also, one thing does not seem obvious to me: I understand why the
>> velocity will be *high* but why are you expecting stability problems?
>(stuff deleted)
>> Also, why the 1.3 g? Should it not be 1? How could it be above 1 since
>> the skydiver is not inputting energy? He/she won't have a rocket up
>> their butt, will they?
>> Just curious.
>
>At a guess, the 1.3 G's is because the atmosphere is acting to
>'decelerate' the jumper from his previous high velocity.  Mass
>and inertia still apply.
But this happens all the time and at every jump, even from 3 grands! The
atmosphere is denser at lower altitudes, so a skydiver who has terminal
velocity constantly decelerates (ie: the terminal velocity is not
really terminal: with today's jumpsuit, terminal velocity at 10,000' is
about 120mph, at 2000' about 90mph)
Now the density has a bigger change at low altitudes (like where
"normal" skydives happen) than at high altitudes (logarithmic profile in
density, or is it pressure, or both?) so a negative 1.3G does not make
sense to me at all.

>Regarding stability, Col. Kittenger felt he could have done
>without the 6 foot drogue, and that stability was _not_ a
>problem.
I would agree. Once the skydiver achieves a "fast enough" velocity (that
is, when a change of body attitude creates an instantaneous response)
then any skydiver with a little experience should be able to stay or
regain stability!
--

In article <1991Jun14.115812.28436@rodan.acs.syr.edu> greeny@top.cis.syr.edu (Jonathan Greenfield) writes:
>In article <950@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
>
>>Also, why the 1.3 g? Should it not be 1? How could it be above 1 since
>>the skydiver is not inputting energy? He/she won't have a rocket up
>>their butt, will they?
>>Just curious.
>
>If one goes from a velocity of ~750 mph to normal, low altitude terminal
>(around 600 mph difference), then obviously, there must be a net upward
>acceleration.  In other words, the deceleration due to atmospheric drag must
>be greater than the acceleration due to gravitational pull, in order for the
>diver to slow down.  How large the upward acceleration is depends upon
>how quickly the atmospheric density is changing.  If there is a fairly sharp
>increase in density at some point, one would expect to experience a
>significant upward acceleration (a shock).  It shouldn't be too surprising
>that the drag exceeds 1 g.  You've experienced a noticeable >1 g drag before,
>right--when you pull your main?

Yes, but there are no sharp increase of density. The only sharp
increases/decreases are found in the temperature profile of the
atmosphere and these start happening at the end of the troposphere
(10,000 meters, 30,000'.) By then, the atmosphere is so tenuous that I
doubt very much that it can have influence on the freefall speed of a
*freefalling* object.
>As for energy, sure the diver is inputting energy.  The plane gives the diver
>a lot of potential energy.  Whey the diver jumps out, some of that energy is
>converted to kinetic energy.  When the drag kicks in, some of the energy gets
>converted to heat, sound, etc.  One hopes that by the time the diver reaches
>the ground, almost all of that energy has been expended!!

Yes, the plane gives potential energy to the skydiver (vertical because
of the altitude, horizontal due to its motion) but these "external"
influences end (by that I mean the skydiver becomes "passive") when
terminal velocity is reached. The only way for a skydiver to input
energy then is to use muscles to turn, track, or whatever else.

The net freefall deceleration of 750 mph to 90mph (at 2000') is very
slow and I doubt that it can be felt. After all, in a jump from 12000',
skydivers do not feel their terminal velocities decreasing (until they
open their chutes!), yet this is the region where the increase of
density per altitude change is the greatest (logarithmic profile of
atmospheric density.)
--

greeny@wotan.top.cis.syr.edu (Jonathan Greenfield) (06/19/91)

In article <970@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

>Yes, the plane gives potential energy to the skydiver (vertical because
>of the altitude, horizontal due to its motion) but these "external"
>influences end (by that I mean the skydiver becomes "passive") when
>terminal velocity is reached. The only way for a skydiver to input
>energy then is to use muscles to turn, track, or whatever else.

Actually, the "horizontal" energy is kinetic.  In any case, even after the
diver reaches "terminal" velocity, he is inputting energy--he keeps giving
up potential energy by falling (which is not replaced with kinetic energy,
since his velocity is "terminal").

>The net freefall deceleration of 750 mph to 90mph (at 2000') is very
>slow and I doubt that it can be felt. After all, in a jump from 12000',
>skydivers do not feel their terminal velocities decreasing (until they
>open their chutes!), yet this is the region where the increase of
>density per altitude change is the greatest (logarithmic profile of
>atmospheric density.)

You are undoubtedly correct.  I was simply trying to establish that an
upward acceleration of >1 g is reasonable.  I don't mean to make any claims
about exactly how large that acceleration will be.  (I don't know enough about
the atmosphere.)

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.150541.5220@rodan.acs.syr.edu> greeny@top.cis.syr.edu (Jonathan Greenfield) writes:
>In article <970@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
>
>>Yes, the plane gives potential energy to the skydiver (vertical because
>>of the altitude, horizontal due to its motion) but these "external"
>>influences end (by that I mean the skydiver becomes "passive") when
>>terminal velocity is reached. The only way for a skydiver to input
>>energy then is to use muscles to turn, track, or whatever else.
>
>Actually, the "horizontal" energy is kinetic.  In any case, even after the
>diver reaches "terminal" velocity, he is inputting energy--he keeps giving
>up potential energy by falling (which is not replaced with kinetic energy,
>since his velocity is "terminal").

Yes, you are right, the horizontal energy is kinetic.
No, you are wrong about the potential energy *not* being transformed
into kinetic energy. A simple answer to that is "The Law of
Conservation of Energy". A more physical answer is: the reason why the
velocity is terminal is due to friction with the atmosphere. The
potential energy is being transformed in kinetic energy which, in turns,
is transfered as heat due to the skydiver "frictionning" with the
atmosphere! What happens is that the skydiver gives up the *kinetic*
energy, not the potential energy, because it is first transfered to
kinetic, then heat. The skydiver is not inputing energy, he is
transfering it (or being used for transfer, like a catalyst, because
this happens transparently to the person in question!)

>>The net freefall deceleration of 750 mph to 90mph (at 2000') is very
>>slow and I doubt that it can be felt. After all, in a jump from 12000',
>>skydivers do not feel their terminal velocities decreasing (until they
>>open their chutes!), yet this is the region where the increase of
>>density per altitude change is the greatest (logarithmic profile of
>>atmospheric density.)
>
>You are undoubtedly correct.  I was simply trying to establish that an
>upward acceleration of >1 g is reasonable.  I don't mean to make any claims
>about exactly how large that acceleration will be.  (I don't know enough about
>the atmosphere.)

No, the upward acceleration you come up with is wrong, it is not greater
than 1 g, that would be quite noticeable!
Let us go through it (with apologies to my fellow netters who are
probably bored to f*** death with this technical discussion!)
First trust me: around 12,000 feet, terminal velocity is around 120 mph,
around 2000 feet, it is about 90 mph. (plus or minus 5 mph, maybe 10 max
for face down, stable position, small jumpsuit.)
(120 - 90) = 30 mph;  from 12,000 to 2000 feet say 60 seconds freefall
time (it is a bit too fast, probably 65 to 70, but what the heck!)
30 mph * 1.6 km per mile = 48 km per h = 48000 meter per h = 13.3 meter per s.
13.3 meter per s / 60 s (freefall time) =  0.222 meter per s per s
(whao,these are acceleration units!)
so the deceleration is 0.222 m/(s^2). In units of g, g being 9.81 m/(s^2),
we get: 0.222 m/(s^2) / 9.81 g/m/(s^2) = 0.02265 g.
Notice. not 1.02265 but 0.02265 g. (I would not pay too much attention
to the last 3 digits).
At all times, the skydiver (and all objects on earth) are subjected to
1 g, even in freefall (that's why we keep on falling). So assuming that
we say that g, the gravitational acceleration due to mother earth, does
not change with altitude (which is wrong, but let's simplify) then the
net acceleration a skydiver would feel at 2000 feet would be
(1-0.02265)g. One down, 0.02265 up.
Of course, this is about as big as the *freefall* upward acceleration will get
(assuming an opening at 2 grands) because, the atmosphere gets thinner
as altitude goes up, so the deceleration is also smaller.
Ah, by the way, in this discussion, negative (upward acceleration) =
deceleration.
I hope I did not mess up with my units transformation. But who knows?

--

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (06/20/91)

In article <983@lhdsy1.chevron.com>, yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
> In article <1991Jun18.150541.5220@rodan.acs.syr.edu> greeny@top.cis.syr.edu (Jonathan Greenfield) writes:
> >In article <970@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
> >
> 1 g, even in freefall (that's why we keep on falling). So assuming that
> we say that g, the gravitational acceleration due to mother earth, does
> not change with altitude (which is wrong, but let's simplify) then the
> net acceleration a skydiver would feel at 2000 feet would be
> (1-0.02265)g. One down, 0.02265 up.
> Of course, this is about as big as the *freefall* upward acceleration will get
> (assuming an opening at 2 grands) because, the atmosphere gets thinner
> as altitude goes up, so the deceleration is also smaller.

Try thinking about when the shuttle hits the atmosphere...

In the event we're discussing, the jumper will be above _most_ of the
atmosphere.  That allows him to attain a speed of approx. 750 mph in
the first 20 seconds or so (that's the time line I've read on Colonel
Kittinger's jump from 102,000').  _THEN_, just like the shuttle, he
slams into the atmosphere.  Prior to this _sudden_ decelleration (sp?)
he _was_ experiencing 1 G.  The friction of the atmosphere, for our
purposes, didn't exist.  We're talking slowing from 750 mph to 90 (or
120) in a fairly short period of time.  We're also looking at
120,000', not 12,000' to opening altitude.

I'm fairly certain the jumper _will_ feel more than 1 G.  I'd bet
it is on the order of the original post (1.3).

Somebody check on the Colonel's jump.  All good libraries should
have _something_ about it.  I believe it's also in the book,
2000 Unforgettable Jumps.

joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) (06/21/91)

> Notice. not 1.02265 but 0.02265 g. (I would not pay too much attention

Well, this all depends on how you look at it.  I did not check your math,
so assuming your numbers are correct, the skydiver would feel 1.02265 g.
This is because if terminal were constant the whole way down, he would
feel exactly 1.0 g (assuming "g" is not changing with altitude).  While
we are on the ground we feel 1.0 g because we have a constant (zero)
change in velocity.  True, he would feel an added acceleration of
0.02265 g upward (more than normal), but the total "g's" he would feel
would be more than 1.0.

							Joe Peterson
							C-20351
							joep@stardent.com

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun21.145113.6028@Stardent.COM> joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) writes:
>> Notice. not 1.02265 but 0.02265 g. (I would not pay too much attention
>
>Well, this all depends on how you look at it.  I did not check your math,
>so assuming your numbers are correct, the skydiver would feel 1.02265 g.
>This is because if terminal were constant the whole way down, he would
>feel exactly 1.0 g (assuming "g" is not changing with altitude).  While
>we are on the ground we feel 1.0 g because we have a constant (zero)
>change in velocity.  True, he would feel an added acceleration of
>0.02265 g upward (more than normal), but the total "g's" he would feel
>would be more than 1.0.

Nooooo. I said one down (assuming g not changing with altitude, and
remember, Earth is attracting us, so g is toward the center of the
Earth) and 0.023 (rounded) up, which would mean his acceleration is less
than one.
Look at it this way, since we agree that the skydiver's terminal
velocity is slowing down as he/she gets lower in the atmosphere, how
could his/her acceleration be greater than g? I don' get it.
--

joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) (06/24/91)

> Nooooo. I said one down (assuming g not changing with altitude, and
> remember, Earth is attracting us, so g is toward the center of the
> Earth) and 0.023 (rounded) up, which would mean his acceleration is less
> than one.
> Look at it this way, since we agree that the skydiver's terminal
> velocity is slowing down as he/she gets lower in the atmosphere, how
> could his/her acceleration be greater than g? I don' get it.

Well, what I was saying was that the skydiver would FEEL a force larger
than 1.0 g.  Just like when you open your parachute, you feel a force
much larger than 1.0.  If a person is falling at a constant velocity in
a constant gravitational field, he/she will feel the same force as when
lying on the ground.  On the ground, there is the force due to gravity
acting downward and the "normal" force acting upward (the support of
a solid surface).  These are equal and opposing forces.  In freefall,
the force of gravity downward would be equally opposed by the force
of friction upward (once terminal velocity is reached) if we assume
no slowing down as the atmosphere gets more dense.  Now, if the person
is slowing down, the force due to friction is constantly higher than
that due to gravity.  This is an additional force felt by the skydiver
pushing upward, making him feel heavier.  Therefore, he is "pulling
more than 1.0 g's."  It is the same as being in an elevator and starting
to go up.  The net force upward is greater than 1.0 g's for a second or
so.  Does this make sense?
					Joe Peterson
					C-20351
					joep@stardent.com

greeny@wotan.top.cis.syr.edu (Jonathan Greenfield) (06/25/91)

In article <983@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

>>Actually, the "horizontal" energy is kinetic.  In any case, even after the
>>diver reaches "terminal" velocity, he is inputting energy--he keeps giving
>>up potential energy by falling (which is not replaced with kinetic energy,
>>since his velocity is "terminal").
>
>Yes, you are right, the horizontal energy is kinetic.
>No, you are wrong about the potential energy *not* being transformed
>into kinetic energy. A simple answer to that is "The Law of
>Conservation of Energy". A more physical answer is: the reason why the
>velocity is terminal is due to friction with the atmosphere. The
>potential energy is being transformed in kinetic energy which, in turns,
>is transfered as heat due to the skydiver "frictionning" with the
>atmosphere! What happens is that the skydiver gives up the *kinetic*
>energy, not the potential energy, because it is first transfered to
>kinetic, then heat.

I disagree.  Of course energy is conserved--but in the system (diver +
atmosphere), not just in the diver.  As I stated in a previous post, the
potential energy is lost via drag to heat, sound, etc.  However, it cannot
be that the energy is first transformed into the skydiver's own kinetic energy.
As long as the diver's velocity is fixed, he cannot be gaining any kinetic
energy (KE = 0.5*mass*velocity^2).  Molecules in the atmosphere, of course,
can gain kinetic energy.

>>>The net freefall deceleration of 750 mph to 90mph (at 2000') is very
>>>slow and I doubt that it can be felt. After all, in a jump from 12000',
>>>skydivers do not feel their terminal velocities decreasing (until they
>>>open their chutes!), yet this is the region where the increase of
>>>density per altitude change is the greatest (logarithmic profile of
>>>atmospheric density.)
>>
>>You are undoubtedly correct.  I was simply trying to establish that an
>>upward acceleration of >1 g is reasonable.  I don't mean to make any claims
>>about exactly how large that acceleration will be.  (I don't know enough about
>>the atmosphere.)
>
>No, the upward acceleration you come up with is wrong, it is not greater
>than 1 g, that would be quite noticeable!

This is just a misunderstanding...sorry that I was not clearer.  I did not mean
that there was a *net* upward acceleration >1 g--simply an upward acceleration
(working against gravitational acceleratIon).  My qualitative argument only
supported that it is possible to have a *net* upward acceleration.  Since I
have no quantitative data regarding the atmosphere, I couldn't say anything
more than that.

Apparently, I misunderstood your original post.  I assumed that the figures
being quoted had not yet been adjusted to reflect the downward acceleration
of gravity (and, therefore, a net acceleration).  Looks like that was a poor
assumption.  Maybe I'm too used to feeling that 1 g upward acceleration under
my feet every day. :)

In article <994@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

>>Well, this all depends on how you look at it.  I did not check your math,
>>so assuming your numbers are correct, the skydiver would feel 1.02265 g.
>>This is because if terminal were constant the whole way down, he would
>>feel exactly 1.0 g (assuming "g" is not changing with altitude).  While
>>we are on the ground we feel 1.0 g because we have a constant (zero)
>>change in velocity.  True, he would feel an added acceleration of
>>0.02265 g upward (more than normal), but the total "g's" he would feel
>>would be more than 1.0.
>
>Nooooo. I said one down (assuming g not changing with altitude, and
>remember, Earth is attracting us, so g is toward the center of the
>Earth) and 0.023 (rounded) up, which would mean his acceleration is less
>than one.
>Look at it this way, since we agree that the skydiver's terminal
>velocity is slowing down as he/she gets lower in the atmosphere, how
>could his/her acceleration be greater than g? I don' get it.

When you stand up, don't you feel a 1 g force at your feet?  We can not
*feel* gravitational forces, but we can *feel* the forces that offset
gravitation.

tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au (06/25/91)

In article <994@lhdsy1.chevron.com>, yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

> Since we agree that the [extreme high altitude] skydiver's terminal
> velocity is slowing down as he/she gets lower in the atmosphere, how
> could his/her acceleration be greater than g? I don' get it.

The wind force is 16 N/kg upwards, his/her weight is 9.8 N/kg downwards.
So the net force is 6 N/kg upwards, giving a net acc'n of 6 m/s2 upwards.

Just as I feel my weight reaction push back up on my feet at 9.8 N/kg,
or one gee, this re-entering jumper feels 16 N/kg or 1.6 gee pressing
back up on torso and limbs.

And it is just that force which will be used for skydiving with
- for the deliberate accelerations.  We are familiar with about one
gee of wind force to work with.  But these high-altitude-challengers
will get much more than one gee, up to 16 N/kg, for about thirty
seconds.  Pioneers!

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.154627.285@Stardent.COM> joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) writes:

>> Nooooo. I said one down (assuming g not changing with altitude, and
>> remember, Earth is attracting us, so g is toward the center of the
>> Earth) and 0.023 (rounded) up, which would mean his acceleration is less
>> than one.
>> Look at it this way, since we agree that the skydiver's terminal
>> velocity is slowing down as he/she gets lower in the atmosphere, how
>> could his/her acceleration be greater than g? I don' get it.
>
>Well, what I was saying was that the skydiver would FEEL a force larger
>than 1.0 g.  Just like when you open your parachute, you feel a force
>much larger than 1.0.  If a person is falling at a constant velocity in
>a constant gravitational field, he/she will feel the same force as when
>lying on the ground.  On the ground, there is the force due to gravity
>acting downward and the "normal" force acting upward (the support of
>a solid surface).  These are equal and opposing forces.  In freefall,
>the force of gravity downward would be equally opposed by the force
>of friction upward (once terminal velocity is reached) if we assume
>no slowing down as the atmosphere gets more dense.  Now, if the person
>is slowing down, the force due to friction is constantly higher than
>that due to gravity.  This is an additional force felt by the skydiver
>pushing upward, making him feel heavier.  Therefore, he is "pulling
>more than 1.0 g's."  It is the same as being in an elevator and starting
>to go up.  The net force upward is greater than 1.0 g's for a second or
>so.  Does this make sense?

I knew that at some point the elevator analogy would be brought up!
The reason why when a skydiver opens his/her parachute, he/she feels it
and *it is greater* than 1 g only because the person goes from 100mph
(say) to 10-15' per second (3 mph???) in a *short* time and since
acceleration is measured in unit of length/second/second then you obtain
a fast deceleration
say (100 - 3)*1.6*1000/3600 [mph*km/miles*meters/km*seconds/hour]=
43 meters/second = velocity loss.
Say the parachute takes 2 seconds to open 43/2 = 21.5 m/s/s
Since g = 9.81 m/s/s, the deceleration is 21.5/9.81 [m/s/s*g/(m/s/s)]
= 2.2 g deceleration. Yes, it is above one, but only because the amount
of time it took to slow down was short. And this is the net difference.

Now, I agree that the net upward force on a skydiver in freefall in an
atmosphere (Earth!) will be greater than 1 g, in the case discussed
previously (a few exchanges ago), it would be around 1.025 g?
*But* 1 g would be cancelled because of the net downward gravitational
attraction. So the skydiver would *feel* 0.025 g which is unfeelable by human
standards!
Using your analogy, when a person is in an elevator, he/she does not
feel 1+ g but the acceleration of the elevator.
When I am standing up, Earth is pulling down 1 g, the surface I am
standing on compensates (so I don't sink into the floor) and I will
argue that I don't feel the floor pushing me up (to avoid sinking into
it!) I can also say that I do not feel my weight either because my
muscles are used to and can compensate (for now!) for the gravitational
pull.
When you do analyze physical problems, you analyze all forces that apply
but the resultant (or summation of all the forces) is what will
determine what happens to the system under study.
A person at rest on the ground does not pull one g! Yet this is what you
argue a skydiver feels in freefall. I disagree.
I look forward to your next entry, this is stimulating.
E.F.S.
--

In article <1991Jun24.155154.14380@rodan.acs.syr.edu> greeny@top.cis.syr.edu (Jonathan Greenfield) writes:
>In article <994@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
>
>>>Well, this all depends on how you look at it.  I did not check your math,
>>>so assuming your numbers are correct, the skydiver would feel 1.02265 g.
>>>This is because if terminal were constant the whole way down, he would
>>>feel exactly 1.0 g (assuming "g" is not changing with altitude).  While
>>>we are on the ground we feel 1.0 g because we have a constant (zero)
>>>change in velocity.  True, he would feel an added acceleration of
>>>0.02265 g upward (more than normal), but the total "g's" he would feel
>>>would be more than 1.0.
>>
>>Nooooo. I said one down (assuming g not changing with altitude, and
>>remember, Earth is attracting us, so g is toward the center of the
>>Earth) and 0.023 (rounded) up, which would mean his acceleration is less
>>than one.
>>Look at it this way, since we agree that the skydiver's terminal
>>velocity is slowing down as he/she gets lower in the atmosphere, how
>>could his/her acceleration be greater than g? I don' get it.
>
>When you stand up, don't you feel a 1 g force at your feet?  We can not
>*feel* gravitational forces, but we can *feel* the forces that offset
>gravitation.

YES! Just my point.
--

In article <1991Jun24.153922.12763@rodan.acs.syr.edu> greeny@top.cis.syr.edu (Jonathan Greenfield) writes:
>In article <983@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
>>No, you are wrong about the potential energy *not* being transformed
>>into kinetic energy. A simple answer to that is "The Law of
>>Conservation of Energy". A more physical answer is: the reason why the
>>velocity is terminal is due to friction with the atmosphere. The
>>potential energy is being transformed in kinetic energy which, in turns,
>>is transfered as heat due to the skydiver "frictionning" with the
>>atmosphere! What happens is that the skydiver gives up the *kinetic*
>>energy, not the potential energy, because it is first transfered to
>>kinetic, then heat.
>
>I disagree.  Of course energy is conserved--but in the system (diver +
>atmosphere), not just in the diver.  As I stated in a previous post, the
>potential energy is lost via drag to heat, sound, etc.  However, it cannot
>be that the energy is first transformed into the skydiver's own kinetic energy.
>As long as the diver's velocity is fixed, he cannot be gaining any kinetic
>energy (KE = 0.5*mass*velocity^2).  Molecules in the atmosphere, of course,
>can gain kinetic energy.

I strongly disagree and let see if I can make you change your mind.
In the absence of atmosphere, the potential energy (of a falling object)
would be changed into kinetic energy. Do you agree?
If so, then, since the atmosphere does not "know" that a body is there,
how could the mere presence of an atmosphere change the laws of physics?
How could the potential energy of the falling object suddenly stop being
transferred into kinetic energy and instead change to be transferred
into heat? (well, according to your model, the potential energy would
gradually transfer itself from kinetic to heat, as "terminal" velocity
would be reached.) I just don't see a law of physics that would allow
that.
Also, if the potential energy was not transformed into kinetic energy
(or stopped being transformed into kinetic energy and instead transfered
itself into heat) then the skydiver would slow down due to the friction
with the atmosphere. He/she does not because of the potential energy
(he/she is still above ground) that is still there.
The diver's velocity is fixed (say) so he/she is not gaining any kinetic
energy, but he/she is transfering it.

...deleted text...
>assumption.  Maybe I'm too used to feeling that 1 g upward acceleration under
>my feet every day. :)

Really? Are you feeling 1 g all the times? (or are you just kidding?) ;-)
--

jnrees@athena.mit.edu (Jim Rees) (06/26/91)

In article <1000@lhdsy1.chevron.com> you write:
>I strongly disagree and let see if I can make you change your mind.
>In the absence of atmosphere, the potential energy (of a falling object)
>would be changed into kinetic energy. Do you agree?
>If so, then, since the atmosphere does not "know" that a body is there,
>how could the mere presence of an atmosphere change the laws of physics?
>How could the potential energy of the falling object suddenly stop being
>transferred into kinetic energy and instead change to be transferred
>into heat? (well, according to your model, the potential energy would
>gradually transfer itself from kinetic to heat, as "terminal" velocity
>would be reached.) I just don't see a law of physics that would allow
>that.

No laws of physics are being broken here. Without atmosphere, there is
only one force on the skydiver,  so he accelerates without bound until
he hits the ground.   With an atmosphere, the skydiver's acceleration
starts at 9.8 m/s^2 and gradually reduces to zero when he hits
terminal velocity.  At this point, the skydiver's kinetic energy is no
longer increasing, but his potential energy is decreasing as he falls.
Where is this energy going?  Since the skydiver isn't getting any of
it, it must be going into the air in the form of heat, sound,
turbulence, etc.   Now in between exiting the aircraft and hitting
terminal velocity, the skydiver's kinetic energy is increasing, but
not as fast as his potential energy is decreasing.  The difference is
transferred to the air.

>Also, if the potential energy was not transformed into kinetic energy
>(or stopped being transformed into kinetic energy and instead transfered
>itself into heat) then the skydiver would slow down due to the friction
>with the atmosphere.

No, because nothing is taking away the kinetic energy that the
skydiver has once he has reached terminal.  The friction with the
atmosphere only prevents the skydiver from gaining any *additional*
kinetic energy.

>>assumption.  Maybe I'm too used to feeling that 1 g upward acceleration under
>>my feet every day. :)
>
>Really? Are you feeling 1 g all the times? (or are you just kidding?) ;-)
>--

Yes, one *feels* the push of the ground.  Have you ever made a balloon
jump?  You know that weird feeling when you first step off when there
is negligible air friction.  That is the *feel* of no forces, even
though there is a net force of 1g.  The reason why gravity cannot be
felt is because it acts uniformly on all the particles in our body.
Our entire body accellerates uniformly in a gravitational field.  On
the ground, however, the normal force the ground provides to prevent
us from accellerating towards the center of the earth does not act
uniformly on our bodies.  There is much more pressure in your feet,
for example, than your head.

When you see pictures of astronauts in the space shuttle, they float
around, apparently experiencing a zero-g environment.  But in fact,
there is still a force of 1g on them (ok, since they're further from
the center of the earth by a couple percent, the force is a little
less than 1g if 1g is defined as the gravitational force at ground
level).  They are, at all times, accelerating uniformly towards the
center of the earth, but never get any closer since they're in orbit.
Other than the force of gravity, there are no other significant forces
on the astronauts, and they feel like they're in a zero-g environment
(which, by the way, would feel the same way).

	Jim Rees D-13359

joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) (06/27/91)

> Say the parachute takes 2 seconds to open 43/2 = 21.5 m/s/s
> Since g = 9.81 m/s/s, the deceleration is 21.5/9.81 [m/s/s*g/(m/s/s)]
> = 2.2 g deceleration. Yes, it is above one, but only because the amount
> of time it took to slow down was short. And this is the net difference.
> Now, I agree that the net upward force on a skydiver in freefall in an
> atmosphere (Earth!) will be greater than 1 g, in the case discussed
> previously (a few exchanges ago), it would be around 1.025 g?
> *But* 1 g would be cancelled because of the net downward gravitational
> attraction. So the skydiver would *feel* 0.025 g which is unfeelable by human
> standards!

Hmmm, you say it is above 1.0 only because the time is short.  That is
not true.  It would be greater than 1.0 even if the time were very very
long (anything short of infinite!) but would be very close to 1.0 (in fact,
I agree that it would be too small to notice).  When you say the 1.0 g
would be cancelled out, I think you are normalizing the 1.0 g we feel
on the ground.  The force is still there, but it feels normal!

> When I am standing up, Earth is pulling down 1 g, the surface I am
> standing on compensates (so I don't sink into the floor) and I will
> argue that I don't feel the floor pushing me up (to avoid sinking into
> it!) I can also say that I do not feel my weight either because my
> muscles are used to and can compensate (for now!) for the gravitational
> pull.

I think we are confusing "experiences" here.  Since it is natural to
continuously feel normal gravity, people normalize this experience and
think of forces in relation to it.  But I still maintain that you feel
the force of your weight (but as you say, you ignore it).
When you are standing up, don't you feel the floor "pushing up?"  If you
have ever used a leg press weight machine, you know the sensation of the
machine pushing your feet toward you.  In this case, you would be working
against the force of the weight you selected instead of your own weight.
If you were weightless for a while (zero g's), a return to normal gravity
would certainly make you aware of your weight!

> A person at rest on the ground does not pull one g! Yet this is what you
> argue a skydiver feels in freefall. I disagree.

Why not?  Is the person not feeling normal gravitational force?  Granted,
this force is directed vertically, and when people talk about "pulling
g's," they usually are referring to force along an arbitrary axis caused
by some vehicle.  Have you ever done "zero g's" in the jump plane?  This
is because the plane starts to follow the same parabolic path you do
as you truely freefall (since we can really ignore air friction now!).

> I look forward to your next entry, this is stimulating.

Cool!

> E.F.S.

Absolutely!

					Joe Peterson
					C-20351
					joep@stardent.com

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun26.162046.8601@athena.mit.edu> jnrees@athena.mit.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>No laws of physics are being broken here. Without atmosphere, there is
>only one force on the skydiver,  so he accelerates without bound until
>he hits the ground.   With an atmosphere, the skydiver's acceleration
>starts at 9.8 m/s^2 and gradually reduces to zero when he hits
>terminal velocity.  At this point, the skydiver's kinetic energy is no
>longer increasing, but his potential energy is decreasing as he falls.
>Where is this energy going?  Since the skydiver isn't getting any of
>it, it must be going into the air in the form of heat, sound,
>turbulence, etc.   Now in between exiting the aircraft and hitting
>terminal velocity, the skydiver's kinetic energy is increasing, but
>not as fast as his potential energy is decreasing.  The difference is
>transferred to the air.

We both agree that the difference is transfered to the atmosphere, we
disagree on how. My point is that the potential energy is first
transfered into kinetic then lost to the atmosphere. Yours is that the
potential energy is transfered to the atmosphere directly. (In both
cases, the objects/skydivers have reached terminal velocity, this is written in
case new people are reading this and wondering what we are talking
about.)
I guess we won't be able to convince each others. A final point from me,
*potential* energy is just that, a "reserve" of energy belonging to the
skydiver (in this case), not the atmosphere. In order to be transfered to the
atmosphere, it *has* first to become "real" (kinetic) to the skydiver
who can then loose it (or transfer it.)

>>>assumption.  Maybe I'm too used to feeling that 1 g upward acceleration under
>>>my feet every day. :)
>>
>>Really? Are you feeling 1 g all the times? (or are you just kidding?) ;-)
>>--
>
>Yes, one *feels* the push of the ground.  Have you ever made a balloon
>jump?  You know that weird feeling when you first step off when there
>is negligible air friction.  That is the *feel* of no forces, even
>though there is a net force of 1g.  The reason why gravity cannot be
>felt is because it acts uniformly on all the particles in our body.
>Our entire body accellerates uniformly in a gravitational field.  On
>the ground, however, the normal force the ground provides to prevent
>us from accellerating towards the center of the earth does not act
>uniformly on our bodies.  There is much more pressure in your feet,
>for example, than your head.

A "g" is an acceleration, not a force. It seems to me that you are using
both intermittently. When you are on the ground, standing still (or
moving at a constant velocity), you are *not* feeling (or pulling) a g. No way.
I have made ballon jumps, I have made helicopter jumps and I have been
on roller-coasters and for the first two cases, when I jumped, I could
feel the acceleration of *one* g at the very beginning of the jump. In the
case of the roller-coaster (or in a swing), when the machine is reaching
the top of an arch and starts to go down, people feel less than one g (but
more than zero!) because the machine does not go straight down but at a steep
(but not 90 degrees) angle.

>When you see pictures of astronauts in the space shuttle, they float
>around, apparently experiencing a zero-g environment.  But in fact,
>there is still a force of 1g on them (ok, since they're further from
>the center of the earth by a couple percent, the force is a little
>less than 1g if 1g is defined as the gravitational force at ground
>level).  They are, at all times, accelerating uniformly towards the
>center of the earth, but never get any closer since they're in orbit.
>Other than the force of gravity, there are no other significant forces
>on the astronauts, and they feel like they're in a zero-g environment
>(which, by the way, would feel the same way).

Allow me to disagree! astronauts are not "apparently experiencing a
zero-g environment"! They are experiencing zero-g! The reason for that
is that they are experiencing a centrifical force which exactly
compensate for the gravitational attraction of Mother Earth. The source
of this centrifical force is the revolution of the spaceship about
the Earth. Now even though (in the case of a circular orbit) the ship
would have a constant speed, it would not have a constant velocity. It
is this change of velocity which creates the acceleration which
compensates for the gravitational acceleration. Actually, it is a little
bit more complicated than that, because it is not the accelerations
which cancel each others but the forces!
"They are, at all times, accelerating uniformly towards the center of
the earth..." No they are not. The concept is wrong. You cannot
accelerate and not move. What is going on is that they are subjected to
a gravitational force which is cancelled by the centrifical force. The
resulting force (henceforth, the acceleration) on them is zero!

--

In article <1991Jun25.194227.8803@cc.curtin.edu.au> tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>The wind force is 16 N/kg upwards, his/her weight is 9.8 N/kg downwards.
>So the net force is 6 N/kg upwards, giving a net acc'n of 6 m/s2 upwards.

Allow me to agree with your numbers since I cannot verify them right
now. First of all, a force is unit of mass * acceleration which is equal
to a Newton or N. Not a N/kg, let us get our units straight, because a
N/kg is a unit of acceleration, not force (I am not being picky, they
are very different concepts.)
Assuming that the net force is 6 N or 6 kg*m/s/s upwards, then the skydiver
is going to slow down. We agree on that.

>Just as I feel my weight reaction push back up on my feet at 9.8 N/kg,
>or one gee, this re-entering jumper feels 16 N/kg or 1.6 gee pressing
>back up on torso and limbs.

No, this jumper is experiencing .6 g (again, using your numbers) upwards
because it is the *resultant* or *summation* of all the forces (and not
the accelerations) which gives the skydiver his/her motion.
One cannot separate the two forces, they are, in the condition described
above, indessociable (inseparable.)
--

In article <1991Jun26.182628.1006@Stardent.COM> joep@Stardent.COM (Joe Peterson) writes:
>> Say the parachute takes 2 seconds to open 43/2 = 21.5 m/s/s
>> Since g = 9.81 m/s/s, the deceleration is 21.5/9.81 [m/s/s*g/(m/s/s)]
>> = 2.2 g deceleration. Yes, it is above one, but only because the amount
>> of time it took to slow down was short. And this is the net difference.
>> Now, I agree that the net upward force on a skydiver in freefall in an
>> atmosphere (Earth!) will be greater than 1 g, in the case discussed
>> previously (a few exchanges ago), it would be around 1.025 g?
>> *But* 1 g would be cancelled because of the net downward gravitational
>> attraction. So the skydiver would *feel* 0.025 g which is unfeelable by human
>> standards!
>
>Hmmm, you say it is above 1.0 only because the time is short.  That is
>not true.  It would be greater than 1.0 even if the time were very very
>long (anything short of infinite!) but would be very close to 1.0 (in fact,
>I agree that it would be too small to notice).  When you say the 1.0 g
>would be cancelled out, I think you are normalizing the 1.0 g we feel
>on the ground.  The force is still there, but it feels normal!

If a person were to experience a total acceleration greater than one g
directed upwards, after a certain time (which would be short and depend
on the original downward velocity, say 5-10 sec) that person would
accelerate towards the sky because the Earth would compensate for only
*one g*. But this does not happen because the total acceleration is
less than one g and directed upwards because the skydiver slows down
(since the atmosphere is getting thicker.)

>> A person at rest on the ground does not pull one g! Yet this is what you
>> argue a skydiver feels in freefall. I disagree.
>
>Why not?  Is the person not feeling normal gravitational force?  Granted,
>this force is directed vertically, and when people talk about "pulling
>g's," they usually are referring to force along an arbitrary axis caused
>by some vehicle.  Have you ever done "zero g's" in the jump plane?  This
>is because the plane starts to follow the same parabolic path you do
>as you truely freefall (since we can really ignore air friction now!).

I think I finally understand why we disagree. I think you are confusing
acceleration and force. They are not the same thing. I agree (how could
I not) that Mother Earth directs on me a force, but I am not
experiencing an acceleration of any kind (including one g) when I am
standing still.
Once again, what is important when you analyze a system is the resultant
or summation of all forces, not just one. The summation of the
acceleration is not the concept to use to analyze such systems. This is
Newton's first law.