[rec.skydiving] Skydiving at supersonic airspeeds

tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au (06/24/91)

In the discussions arising from
GRAPH OF OSC'N DUE TO HIGH WINDFORCE

Walter@cayman.AMD.COM (Walter Butler) writes:

>It is possible that the jumper ( at 750 mph and 1.6 gees of
>drag after a 120 000 ft exit) will have stability problems
>from the supersonic airflow.

Because of the soft impact with the atmosphere there will be
an extended period of 30 seconds or so of deceleration, where
much more wind force is available to induce "rocking" in a
normally utterly stable skydiver.  (A non skydiver is likely
to go further, into a tumble, and a spin is also likely)

>I am no expert, but believe that the shockwaves can cause
>very localized areas of high stress and drag.

Yes!  The sound waves going down cannot escape downwards and
so bank up as a flat cone of compressed air around each
extremity.  This would mean for a normally exposed skydiver
that chin, knees etc would take more of the wind force than
usual.  But how much more?  Will it make you sneeze or will it
make your eyes water?  Will it be enough to sense under all
that protective clothing?

The total force is still only 16 N/kg or so averaged over the
whole body.  It doesn't seem that local concentrations of
force would be intolerable, but perhaps enough to provide for
some rare phenomena to be first experienced by a brave
pioneer.

Certainly the position and attitude of the chin etc will
affect the amount of build up.  How long does it take to build
up to equilibrium anyway?  The compression can't accumulate
indefinitely,  it must bleed off sideways.  If it takes a
second to build up, the jumper will experience a tendency to
nod in free fall.  Hardly a terrifying danger.

>A simulation of the jump performed in this manner would
>be interesting.

It sure would.  Perhaps some of your NASA colleagues - the re-
entry people - might know enough of the physics.  Perhaps they
already have a re-entry simulator.  As it stands, this
(subsonic) simulator is extrapolated out of its proven valid
range.

In particular, we need to know how the drag coefficient (for
us brick-shapes) changes for low supersonic flight.  Then we
need to know the effect of temperature on the drag
coefficient.  Certainly the stratospheric cold of -56 degrees
affects viscosity and reduces drag.

For vibrations and oscillations, we need to know the effect of
the compression cones on the extremities and how long they
take to build up.

>The diver might use a style tuck while supersonic.

It would one way to get respite from some irritation due to
vibration or suchlike.  But it would be more unstable than an
arch and the moment of inertia would reduce, so increasing the
likelihood of a fast rotation or tumble in the high force
wind.

>This would also have the added "benefit" of increasing
>his top speed.

How gung-ho do they have to be?  What a story that would
make!   "First supersonic skydiver in history strains for a
morsel more of the unknown..."

Let's salute their first exploration of impact.  Whatever
they find out for us, it is going to be interesting.

Roger Clifton   Curtin University  West Australia.  6:91

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun24.135815.8781@cc.curtin.edu.au> tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:

>>The diver might use a style tuck while supersonic.
>>This would also have the added "benefit" of increasing
>>his top speed.
>
>How gung-ho do they have to be?  What a story that would
>make!   "First supersonic skydiver in history strains for a
>morsel more of the unknown..."

Geez Louise!!!  The fall rate is fast enough! I have problems staying
with an eight way with 10lbs of weights and a skin suit!  And now
supersonic isn't enough?!  Do we *really* need that extra competitive
25 mph fall rate...

As I strap on my JATO bottles...

Jerry

--
Domain: jerrys@umiacs.umd.edu		     Jerry Sobieski
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!jerrys		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.135815.8781@cc.curtin.edu.au> tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>In the discussions arising from
>GRAPH OF OSC'N DUE TO HIGH WINDFORCE
>
>Walter@cayman.AMD.COM (Walter Butler) writes:
>

>>It is possible that the jumper ( at 750 mph and 1.6 gees of
>>drag after a 120 000 ft exit) will have stability problems
>>from the supersonic airflow.
Don't let the term "supersonic" affect you too much. If a skydiver was
going supersonic at low altitude, *that* would be something to write
about, but going supersonic at high altitude is nothing to scream
about.

>Because of the soft impact with the atmosphere there will be
>an extended period of 30 seconds or so of deceleration, where
>much more wind force is available to induce "rocking" in a
>normally utterly stable skydiver.  (A non skydiver is likely
>to go further, into a tumble, and a spin is also likely)
Intuitively, I disagree.

>>I am no expert, but believe that the shockwaves can cause
>>very localized areas of high stress and drag.
The skydiver will go fast but the atmosphere will be tenuous, so why
shockwaves? Airplanes experience shockwaves but they have *engines*,
skydivers don't.

>It sure would.  Perhaps some of your NASA colleagues - the re-
>entry people - might know enough of the physics.  Perhaps they
>already have a re-entry simulator.  As it stands, this
>(subsonic) simulator is extrapolated out of its proven valid
>range.
Ha! As it stands, what is the range of the simulator? (what is its
maximum altitude?)

>In particular, we need to know how the drag coefficient (for
>us brick-shapes) changes for low supersonic flight.  Then we
>need to know the effect of temperature on the drag
>coefficient.  Certainly the stratospheric cold of -56 degrees
>affects viscosity and reduces drag.
>
>For vibrations and oscillations, we need to know the effect of
>the compression cones on the extremities and how long they
>take to build up.

Vibrations, vibrations? Hey, we are made of soft (living) tissue, not
rigid metal. Nor are we hollow, unlike most airplanes.

>Let's salute their first exploration of impact.  Whatever
>they find out for us, it is going to be interesting.

Agreed.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.135815.8781@cc.curtin.edu.au>, tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
> How gung-ho do they have to be?  What a story that would
> make!   "First supersonic skydiver in history strains for a
> morsel more of the unknown..."

Are you guys forgetting that it's already been done?  If I'm not
mistaken, subsequent calculations showed that Col. Kittinger DID
go supersonic briefly on his 102,000 foot jump.

Mike Spurgeon
Internet: mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

csa18@seq1.keele.ac.uk (R.J. Husmo) (06/26/91)

In article <996@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
>but going supersonic at high altitude is nothing to scream
>about.

Because, in space, no-one can hear you scream.

Sorry about that, honest!
Back to the 'Skydiving at supersonic airspeeds' discussion, as it is
getting quite interesting. I always wanted to skydive from ORBIT, myself.
(No, this time I am being perfectly serious.)
I have already had comments like: 'If you fall any faster now, you'll need
tiles on your jumpsuit.'

Would anybody like to comment on the problems with such an undertaking?
Apart from how to get into orbit in the first place, of course.

Blue skies,

Radar.

jerrys@mobby.umiacs.umd.edu (Jerry Sobieski) (06/26/91)

In article <1265@keele.keele.ac.uk> csa18@seq1.kl.ac.uk (R.J. Husmo) writes:

>... I always wanted to skydive from ORBIT, myself.
>(No, this time I am being perfectly serious.)
>I have already had comments like: 'If you fall any faster now, you'll need
>tiles on your jumpsuit.'
>
>Would anybody like to comment on the problems with such an undertaking?
>Apart from how to get into orbit in the first place, of course.

You better be able to spot!

:-)

Jerry

--

tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au (06/27/91)

In article <3547@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, mspurgeo@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Spurgeon) writes:

> In article <1991Jun24.135815.8781@cc.curtin.edu.au>, tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>> How gung-ho do they have to be?  What a story that would
>> make!   "First supersonic skydiver in history strains for a
>> morsel more of the unknown..."
>
> Are you guys forgetting that it's already been done?  If I'm not
> mistaken, subsequent calculations showed that Col. Kittinger DID
> go supersonic briefly on his 102,000 foot jump.

Well, some authors say that he did go supersonic.  But it doesnt
check out.

Remember the postings last year, when we simulated Kittingers jump?

To get a free fall time of 277 seconds, a peak velocity of 460 mph
was obtained.  Definitely a world record, which still stands, but
not supersonic.  Even at -50 degrees, the speed of sound is still
greater than 500 mph.

I'll repost it or email if anyone's interested.

Roger Clifton.

tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au (06/28/91)

In article <1265@keele.keele.ac.uk>, csa18@seq1.keele.ac.uk (R.J. Husmo) writes:
> I always wanted to skydive from ORBIT, myself.
> Would anybody like to comment on the problems with such an undertaking?
>
> Radar.

Why not do a mini shuttle trick?

Start with a low circular orbit.  Then v2/r = g  so v = sqr(g*r) = 8 km/s

Now nudge down (with a retro burn of your remaining rocket of course)
so that you hit enough atmosphere for one gee of drag.

It would be good to design a flight path so that one gee of drag is maintained
throughout the descent.  Then that 8 000 m/s is reduced at 10 m/s per second over
800 seconds, which shouldn't be too much oxygen to carry!

If you have enough flying control,
you can nose down for increased drag and nose up for reduced drag.
This will be pretty sensitive at the hoigh speeds, so I for one would prefer
an automatic control.

There is a mean amount of KE to be gotten rid of as heated, eddying air.
Power = force*vel = 10 N/kg * 8 km/s = 80 kW/kg at height, decreasing.
This would need tiles on your feet and some sort of refractory control surface.

Since the compression cones would be tight, arcsin(v/c) = arcsin(250/8000) = sfa
it might be wise to keep your nose out of the wind.  That requires a shell around
your feet-first hurtling body, a mini-shuttle.

What slowed-down velocity is cool and smooth enough for skydiving?  We might
know more when the 120 000 ft experiment is performed - they will reach 0.3 km/s
supersonic.

We wish you luck, brave traveller.

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun27.180343.8816@cc.curtin.edu.au> tcliftonr@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>To get a free fall time of 277 seconds, a peak velocity of 460 mph
>was obtained.  Definitely a world record, which still stands, but
>not supersonic.  Even at -50 degrees, the speed of sound is still
>greater than 500 mph.

At -50 degrees and at the altitude where the jump would be made, the
speed of sound would be below 500 mph. At sea level and under
Standard Condition (atmospheric) does the speed of sound reach 500 mph.
But as the altitude increases, the density decreases (the air molecules
get further apart per unit volume) so it takes longer for collisions to
happen, hence the compressional waves (sound) take longer to cover the
same distance.

Speed of sound, Mach 1, is the speed of sound at sea level. When an
airplane reaches the speed of sound at altitude, it is going faster then
the speed of sound for that altitude.