[alt.romance] Public Intimacy

A.Waterworth@newcastle.ac.uk (A Waterworth) (01/19/90)

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:

>Does anybody think that sometimes couples get intimate in public to
>give some kind of impression of superiority? ...

Well, in the interests of exercising my cynicism gland, I tend to agree
with this assessment of human behaviour. I see a lot of this kind of thing,
both amongst my friends and amongst total strangers. However, it's nothing
to get hassled about - if people want to parade their intimacy in front of
Joe Public rather than keeping it in a darkened room with soft lights and
even softer music then I guess it's their choice. One must learn to exercise
a type of "professional" detachment. (Perhaps "personal" detachment might
be a better way to describe it?) Well, whatever you want to call it, you
should try not to be upset by other peoples' behaviour - even if it strikes
deep, atonal chords within your own psyche.
Having said that, when the tendency to gloom and depression in a situation
such as this gets _too_ strong, I usually find that my mood can be moderated
by judicious application of the thought that the perpetrators of any ongoing
public smoochery will probably be having a blazing row and splitting up
acrimoniously within a couple of months!! (It's probably true as well - my
experience has been that people in long term relationships don't engage in
open air necking anything like as much as the recently-met, starry-eyed,
totally _incompatible_ young lovers brigade...)

>>I think, however, that our society has taken this such an
>>extreme that many of us go around starved for affection, and afraid
>>to express attraction.
>Absolutely. But, maybe being starved of affections just makes you
>resent it more when it's seem between others, rather than go out and
>do something positive about it.

Right on both counts I think. However, a more common reason for someone being
afraid to express attraction is the fear that they're going to get rejected
out of hand or badly burned at a later date. This is completely understandable
and I can't blame anyone for succumbing to their basic animal instinct to
avoid pain - it's just a pity that humans, by virtue of intellect and capacity
for introspection, seem to be susceptible to certain types of emotional stress
to a much greater degree than almost any other species. I have a great deal of
sympathy for anyone who finds themselves in this position, but the hard facts
are that you just have to keep on trying. If one horse persistently throws you,
you find a different one and start all over again. One day, you've got to get
it right. Right?

		Just the rambling opinion of an outside observer...

					AW.
						(Only visiting this planet!)
FROM  : Adrian Waterworth.	JANET : A.Waterworth@uk.ac.newcastle
				ARPA  : A.Waterworth@newcastle.ac.uk
PHONE : +44 91 222 6000		UUCP  : ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!A.Waterworth
POST  : Computing Lab. University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. NE1 7RU.

>"I like music which sounds like a flying DeLorean being struck by lightning"
"I like music which sounds like lightning being struck by a flying DeLorean"