[alt.romance] 'Opening Doors' Survey Reactions

ivan%nepjt@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Ivan Maldonado) (01/20/90)

In article <1074@trwind.UUCP> gwen@trwind.UUCP (Gwen Eknayan) writes:

>It IS a 'treat everyone equally' issue.  You should NEVER open a door for
>a woman because she is a woman.  Doors should be opened for PEOPLE to be
>polite, to help someone who is carrying or pushing something, and just
>to be nice.  I open doors for men, women, and children whenever I feel like
>it.  I like seeing men opening doors for men.  I like having doors opened
>for me.  However, I get very angry when I open a door for a man and he refuses
>to go through because I'm a woman (worse is when he tries to take the door
>from me).
>
>I do not want to see chivalry die, I want to see it expanded.  Chivalry is
>a form of politeness and respect.  It should apply to men and women alike.
>When will the world grow up?

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you a little bit, Gwen.  I feel that
sometimes people choose to ignore traditions.  Myself included as one
of the first offenders.  I feel the same way as you do about politeness,
it should be part of our everyday lives, but you shouldn't feel upset
when a man tries to express his respect for a woman by opening the door
for her (or even grabbing it away from her).  My wife often takes
things of the sort as purposeful attacks against female liberation, yet
I would do anything to see her eyes light up as they did this past
Christmas when I showed up with a dozen roses.  Cliche' I know, but
if I would think like you, shouldn't women be sending flowers to men
instead ?  I don't think so.  Women and men are different on the
inside as well as on the outside, and our behavior (traditions/rituals)
sometimes reflect those differences.  Note I didn't say "better/worse
than" but DIFFERENT.

Today's stand-up philosopher

Ivan Maldonado
North Carolina State University