[alt.romance] Morality and kissing...

lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) (01/18/90)

You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

What is your response?
   Eric Lechner  lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu |       - Dead Pan Alley -
      ...ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lechner     |      Where reality takes a
   115 Seton Way, Santa Cruz, CA 95060  |      backseat to progress.

lemay@lorelei.Sun.COM (Laura Lemay) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric
Lechner) writes:
> You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
> are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
> sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
> mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
> What is yourresponse?

Unless there are real extenuating circumstances (see my posting on the
dancing man in soc.singles), I do not kiss strangers.  Especially
strangers that come up and ask me if they can.  Especially not while
on a bus.

However, this has NOTHING whatsoever to do with morality.  I am not
avoiding kissing them because I don't want to appear a slut or
preserve my reputation or whatever silly moral reason you want to pin
on me.  I simply consider it bad taste (no pun intended).

I'm not strange.  You are.
Laura Lemay				lemay@eng.sun.com
Redhead.  Drummer.  Geek.

jow@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Joel Wachman) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu>lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?

Assuming she didn't smell bad or have diseased lips, I would say,
"Why, of course.  I'm very flattered."

This kind of question (inane as it is) points out a strange and
frustrating aspect of our society's views towards affection.  It
is considered inappropriate for two people to hug or kiss eachother
in public, despite the fact that we all know everyone wants affection,
and such displays can only be beneficial.  It used to bug the hell
out of me when my ex-girlfriend and I would kiss or hug eachother in
public somewhere, and some goofy guy would scream "hey, take it to
a room!"  Nobody thinks of saying anything to two people who are
at eachother's throats, pushing eachother around.

Of course, any reasonable society needs to keep a lid on the amount
of sex that happens among strangers, in order to keep the population
down.  I think, however, that our society has taken this such an
extreme that many of us go around starved for affection, and afraid
to express attraction.

	      Joel Wachman [jow@media-lab.media.mit.edu]
		  MIT Media Laboratory Cambridge, MA
			  (617) 258-5956

af1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Autumn Farole) (01/18/90)

 ...I think that I would have to ask him
(for me it would be a him) *why* he wanted
to kiss me.  If his reason was good enough,
or if he even made up a pretty good lie, I'd
have to say "yes"...

kiss kiss bang bang,
autumnn

spudcrl@wpi.wpi.edu (A man and his sword) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?
>--
      Sure!  What's the worst that could happen?  God striking you dead
    from the sky with a bolt of lightning?  And what if you're not
    monogamous with someone else?  What's the problem?  8)

				--Curt

*  spudcrl@wpi.wpi.edu   *        on IRC        *           This space        *
*  Curt R Lindmark       *       Defender       *         intentionally       *
*  Born to be strange    *  A man and his sword *           left blank        *

af1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Autumn Farole) (01/18/90)

> ...I think that I would have to ask him
>(for me it would be a him) *why* he wanted
>to kiss me.  If his reason was good enough,
>or if he even made up a pretty good lie, I'd
>have to say "yes"...

...what I mean is yes, I'd let him kiss me
  (just to clear things up)

kiss kiss bang bang,
autumnn

af1u@andrew.cmu.edu/is that you, elvis?

sdh@flash.bellcore.com (Stephen D Hawley) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?

I have my priest cast a spell of holding on the culprit while I attack with
my +2, +3 long sword.  Meanwhile the wizard will cast a spell of speed on
the elf and the halfling-thief who will commence sending out a volley of arrows
with their short swords, turning the foe into a sliced-up pincushion, as well
as a few of the other passengers on the bus.  I go through their pockets and
bags, looking for money and magic items, checking for traps as I go.

I step off the bus and promptly vanish in a cloud of greasy black smoke.

Steve "Don't read too close or you'll miss the :')" Hawley
A noun's a special kind of word.
It's ev'ry name you ever heard.
I find it quite interesting,
A noun's a person place or thing.

seebs@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (--SeebS--) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

Hold it - this is a revised version of a question I saw (and answered) on
abermud last night. If this is for the same survey, please don't count me
twice.

>What is your response?

Why would I *not* kiss them? I like demonstrating affection to random strangers.

You folks should try it sometime. It's fun.

>   Eric Lechner  lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu |       - Dead Pan Alley -

--SeebS--

ciekansk@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jennifer Ciekanski) (01/18/90)

    The guy who would approach anyone with a line like that would have to be
somewhat good-looking and pretty confident or else he would sound to me like
a horny, immature high school boy trying out a new come-on line.  If I were
interested I might say something like "Maybe, sometime in the future", which
could lead to a real conversation and probably the exchange of phone numbers.

                                                    -Jennifer

p.s. Could anyone tell me why when I try to post a copy of the article along
with my response, it won't send it?
     I edit the article, write my response, and it says something like -
"article not posted, no message written"???????????????????????????????????

hughM@sixhub.UUCP (Hugh M Moore) (01/18/90)

Once there was a man sitting on a bus. There were no more seats. A
really good looking woman was standing in the aisle. The man picked up
the hem of the woman's skirt and wiped his sweaty face with it.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Cleaning you off a place to sit."

=> If you don't like this joke see my sig
--
Hugh Moore ...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!hughM [ PhD in '93 ]

"A joke isn't funny unless it offends SOMEONE"

rlc4_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Luwenth the Lewd) (01/18/90)

	I would most probably respond with, "Excuse me, but did you
just ask to kiss me?"  The reason being that I would be sure that I
had misheard the person.  Assuming that they could then state it a
second time, I would say, "Yes, you may."  Mainly because I would be
really frigin' curious... :) never know what you will find in a
stranger...
	Then, I would have to explain why I did such a thing to my
ever-so-jealous girlfriend, not a task I would enjoy... but hey, I'm
still young, right?  Plenty of time.
					Luwenth the Lewd

--
  "Anarchy, it's not the law, but        | rlc4_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
   it's a good idea." -unknown           | rlc4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

schroder@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mark Schroder) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?

Is this some kind of promotion?  Really, for free?
Go for it.

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?

First off, I'm not sure what "reasonably" attractive means, since I
don't arrive at an attraction as a result of any reasoning process. I
am either attracted to someone or not, and that is that. But apart
from that, my response would simply have to be one of shock or perhaps
some suspicion, because a scenario such as this has never happened to
me or to any heterosexual man I can recall hearing about. The sheer
improbability of it would lead me to question whether something
"funny" was going on, for example is she an actress and is a hidden
camera trained on us, or is she a partner in a pickpocket team. Or
maybe this is part of crazy Machavellian scheme hatched by one of my
multifarious political rivals bent on publicly compromising me and
subjecting me to blackmail. Or perhaps Zaphod Beeblebrox is making an
overflight with the pedal-to-the-metal on the Improbability Drive.

Assuming, however, that I could rid myself of all suspicions, I would
have to conclude that I was simply experiencing an elaborate
hallucination. I would take a quick mental inventory of my last
several meals and drinks. Perhaps someone had drugged me. I'd do a few
quick sums in my head, and count backwards by sevens from some large
number to see if my mental faculties were degraded. Failing that, I
would announce to anyone interested that I was being confronted by an
apparition. I would examine the eyes of bystanders to see if they were
seeing the apparition too, just to satisfy my curiosity. (If the
hallucination turned out to be a mass hallucination, it wouldn't
change the absurd impossibility of the whole situation.) I would not,
of course, address the apparition directly, for fear of being taken
away by the men in white coats.

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu

:-)

ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) (01/18/90)

   From: lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner)
   Date: 17 Jan 90 19:26:25 GMT

   You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
   are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
   sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
   mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

Depending on the mood I was in, I'd either say, "Let's go get some
coffee and talk about it", or "Get lost".

				 AMBAR
ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu		  {mit-eddie,uunet}!bloom-beacon!ambar

	     A kiss is just a kiss -- a sigh is just a sigh.

Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) (01/18/90)

   >You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
   >are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
   >sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
   >mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

     I would have to say no I would not mind. (Though I have to be
   honest good lucks, no open sores, and no smoking! (you all know
   my views on that! :-)

     About 4 years ago, I was standing in the kitchen of my house
   talking to a housemate when a friend of his walked in and gave
   him a big hug. She turned to me, looked at my friend and asked
   "Do you think he would mind if I gave him a hug?" He responded,
   "I don't know, ask him." Well, she looked like she needed a hug
   so I said yes. She quickly became a good friend...

   Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu
   Disclaimer: Why do I need one? everyone else has one!

meade@athena.mit.edu (Brian R Meade) (01/18/90)

Lechner) writes:
> You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
> are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
> sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
> mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
> What is your response?

My response is...

Sure, why not?  If she wants to kiss me I say, good for her!
Of course, my girlfriend might say otherwise...

--
Brian Meade            Mass. Inst. of Tech.           meade@athena.mit.edu

greg@netcom.UUCP (Greg Bullough) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?

It's happened, at Faire, not on a bus. Something about a quest. Anyway,
I couldn't find a reason why not, in the split second I had to decide.
She was a stranger but for some reason (Renn-and-such-Faire survivors
check me on this) that Bohemian atmosphere is one where anything can
and does often happen. On a bus, I don't think my reaction would be
the same. Sounds like a good ploy for a pick-pocket team.

Greg                           =========================================
                               Me watch and clothes and 80 pounds
                               with me fancy one had fled

cthulhu@claris.com (Paul T.S. Lee) (01/18/90)

From article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, by lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner):
> You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
> are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
> sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
> mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
> What is your response?

"Will you respect me if I say yes?"

Paul Tien-Shih Lee              |cthulhu@claris.com
Claris Corporation, SQA Division|{ames,apple,sun,portal,voder}claris!cthulhu
Disclaimer: Dis is my claimer.  |AppleLink: CLARIS.SQA
If Claris wants one, it can get |America Online (ALPE):Paul Lee
its own.  All hail Discordia!   |(coming soon to a network near you)

kenji@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Kenji Rikitake) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu>
	lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

>What is your response?

I would get embarrassed and would say no to her. (for me it would be a her)
I personally believe kissing is allowed only between lovers or between
parents and children. I don't want to be kissed by strangers, unless she
(I never want to be kissed by a "he" :-<) has enough strong reasons to convince
me. (hmmmm :-))

This reminds me of an incidence; when I was living in USA (I was 9 then)
one of female teachers in school tried to give me a farewell kiss, nothing special. I got blush and I passively refused that. She never forced it.

In Japan I think kissing in public are still considered impolite, even
between lovers. (I don't know whether it's "immoral". People and ads
in Japan are getting more and more sexually open-minded.)

My first kiss was made when I was 20 with my SO's initiation. She knew
lot more than I then. That happened in my room. I knew taste of deep kiss
then. :-)
It is interesting that most of women I made love (all Japanese) do not know how
to kiss deeply, using tongues.

This is a response from a young guy living in the Far East. :-) >Eric
(Living here in Tokyo for 23 years + 15 months in Boulder, Colorado, USA)
-- Kenji
--
Kenji Rikitake, JJ1BDX, Sakurajousui R&D Center, Packet Radio User's Group
<kenji@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> / <kenji@jj1bdx.ampr{.jp|.org}> [44.129.16.82]

andy@hydra.unm.edu ( Andrew Eberhart) (01/18/90)

I would go for it...

Actually, I have considered doing this, but I can't get up enough
courage.

   Andy

rawdon@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Michael Rawdon) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

>What is your response?

The main stumbling point for me, here, would be the fact that I already have
a girlfriend, and I do *not* think she'd appreciate me kissing some strange
woman.  The other main stumbling point is diseases (whether or not AIDS can
be transmitted through saliva, I have little wish to get the flu, measles, or
the like from someone; even a cold - bleck!).

I suppose otherwise I'd go for it (even less-than-ideally, if I were really
bummed out, I might go for it just to add some spice to my afternoon or
whatever), but as it is, I think "Sorry, I'm already committed to someone
else" would be my response.  Then, I'd wait to see what she'd say, but
unless it was something mighty clever, she'd be outta luck (or in luck,
depending on how you look at it :-).
--
Michael Rawdon           | Looking down on the smoke, on the factories
Tulane University        | 'Till the truth creeps up unseen

michael@csseq.tamu.edu (Mary Hartman Ichael) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>What is your response?

It's hard to take a real stab at what would,
in all likelihood, be a judgement made on
thousands of points as well as instinct.
However, chances are, regardless of whether
the person was of the appropriate sex, I
would probably answer, "No, at least it isn't
too likely," which isn't likely.

As far as being a question of morality, it isn't.

>   Eric Lechner  lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu |       - Dead Pan Alley -
>      ...ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lechner     |      Where reality takes a
>   115 Seton Way, Santa Cruz, CA 95060  |      backseat to progress.

And as far as the possibility of kissing goes...

/*                                                               - michael
                               Mary Hartman Ichael, michael@csseq.tamu.edu
   Always, remember love.           Lucifer Donovan, michael@stat.tamu.edu
                           (c) Michael D. Denison, mdd4783@tamvenus.BITNET
*/    "Don't give me that talk. It's small, and I know it!" - A dead woman

Ps: /* Probably bizarre for a newsgroup, but... */ Oh, and
    to Loren, just wanted to let you know that you have
    brightened up a very dark day with your post. :-) Thanks.

jeremy@milton.acs.washington.edu (Jeremy York) (01/18/90)

What I would *really* like to do sometimes is ask a long-haired
woman if I can touch her hair.  I've got long hair myself, not
because I'm a hippie, but because I *love* the way it feels on
my shoulders, it's so sensual, and I like how it looks.  Anyway,
I really have to restrain myself sometimes on the bus from
touching beautiful hair cascading over the back of the seat in
front of me...

jeremy@klahhane.stat.washington.edu

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (01/18/90)

Why, my response is a warm kiss of course.  Who could pass up such a harmless
and fun opportunity!
--
John  M.  Adams    --*--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!
Internet:  jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu

afhampe@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Andrew Hampe) (01/18/90)

Assuming that this attractive person did ask me to kiss her,
I would first make sure I was on the right planet,

"we pause for a Brief Reality Check. Yup, This is Reality."

and then I'd let said person kiss me.

Beyound that there is insuffiecient data to develop a trajectory
of actions and or behaviors.

cd

A.Waterworth@newcastle.ac.uk (A Waterworth) (01/18/90)

lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:

>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

>What is your response?

Well, several possible responses spring to mind...

1.	"No, I don't mind. Where would you like to kiss me?"

2.	"Well, maybe you shouldn't kiss me just yet, but we could certainly
		discuss the inherent possibilities!"

3.	"Er...hum...well, no I don't really mind, but why do you want to
		kiss me in the first place?"

4.	"No. I don't mind in the slightest."

5.	"I'm sure you could talk me into it..."

6.	"I know a fantastic restaurant not far from here. Let's discuss this
		over a candlelit dinner for two!"

Of these responses, I'd probably end up saying No. 3 about 80% of the time.
Let's face it, this kind of thing tends not to happen around my neck of the
woods and I'd probably be too utterly gobsmacked to say anything else!!

	Can't imagine why you asked the question in the first place, but
		I hope that these answers prove useful, or at least
								informative.

						Cheers!

							Adrian.
FROM  : Adrian Waterworth.	JANET : A.Waterworth@uk.ac.newcastle
				ARPA  : A.Waterworth@newcastle.ac.uk
PHONE : +44 91 222 6000		UUCP  : ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!A.Waterworth
POST  : Computing Lab. University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. NE1 7RU.

alan@sersun2.essex.ac.uk (Stanier A) (01/18/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
?You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
?are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
?sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
?mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
?
?What is your response?

I would reply on the lines of "No, I wouldn't mind at all, please do
so as soon and as often as possible. Thank you"

--
  Alan M Stanier    | My New Year Resolution for 1990: Give up the rigorous
tel +44 206-872153  |    asceticism that has marked my life so far, and

dnye@bbn.com (DavE Nye) (01/18/90)

>In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>>
>>What is your response?

Hmm, Good Question.  I'd have to say I'd be with the guy and the Wizard
battle group.....Nah...just kidding...(Nice answer btw }8-) )
	Depending on mood, timing, place, and the person asking, I'd
Say "Yes, Now, May I kiss you?"

and see what she says.

-=TheEvilOne
=     //     Dave Nye -- President, Southern New Hampshire AMIGA Users Group  =
=    //      dnye@bbn.com    dnye%bbn.com@relay.cs.net  ...!harvard!bbn!dnye  =
= \\//       BBN, Inc., Cambridge, Mass., My Employers computer, MY opinion.. =

achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu (anthony howe) (01/18/90)

>> You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>> are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>> sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>> mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>>
>> What is yourresponse?

Dumb founded. My first reaction would be the question:

"Is this some kind of joke?" or
"Me? You must want this guy beside me."

>Unless there are real extenuating circumstances (see my posting on the
>dancing man in soc.singles), I do not kiss strangers.  Especially
>strangers that come up and ask me if they can.  Especially not while
>on a bus.
>
>However, this has NOTHING whatsoever to do with morality.  I am not
>avoiding kissing them because I don't want to appear a slut or
>preserve my reputation or whatever silly moral reason you want to pin
>on me.  I simply consider it bad taste (no pun intended).

But the scenario  is meant to address morality and what is more moral
or traditional than manners. Like the man not pick up his fork till the
first lady at the table does so. Keeping your palms but not your elbows
on the dinner table.

I too may fined it in bad taste but then I'm highly condition that
way with of the polite, well mannered, and honourable gentleman.
Just wait till my mother hears about or sees the ear studs my roomates
and I got last week  :) :) :)

I think the thrust of the scenario is meant to ask why do people
show so little affection in public. One answer I can that of, which
seems to apply to myself, is that I always feel envy for a guy who has
a girl friend who he can kiss, hug, hold, laugh, and talk with in
public. Every time I see it I sort of ask myself when's my turn? I have
a feeling that public shows of affection may be trimmed down because
others remember the times the felt the same. Of course I could be just
grabbing at straws.

- ant

  achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu     | "It is hard to make the world go away
   _     -|-|_   _              |  when it has decided to notice you."
  (_\ |\| | | | (_) |\| \/      |  - Spock's World
                     ___/       |                        disclaimer...

kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Nancy's Sweetie) (01/19/90)

[ No included text -- we all know the question by now. ]

The original question was (obviously) addressed at the morality of kissing,
and in that respect I don't see anything immoral in accepting a kiss from
the person in question (given the presumptions I'm making about what
precisely is being suggested, since specifics were not made available).

My answer to the question, however, is "I would probably decline", in that
the only person I want to kiss is Nancy, and a stranger on a bus (by virtue
of being a stranger) is not likely to be Nancy.%  (One could, I suppose, say
"but you're not kissing them, they're kissing you".  However, I think it
would be terribly rude to stand there doing nothing while a person was
kissing me, and it would probably be best to avoid that.)
------
% - While her name might be `Nancy,' that doesn't mean she's the right one.
------

kilroy@cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"I'm in love with her and I feel fine." -- JPGR

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (01/19/90)

From article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, by lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner):
> You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
> are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
> sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
> mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
> What is your response?
Something of this sort actaully happened to me in high school.  A girl
I barely knew came up to me and said, "It's Kiss-A-Friend day!" and
proceeded top kiss me.  She then kissed my friend who I was with.

Later in the day, another girl, whom I know a little better, did the same
thing.

So I tried it on the school bus home.  Worked pretty well, too.

HSPVA was a friendly place!

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

bloom-debbie@CS.YALE.EDU (Debbie Bloom) (01/19/90)

For a somewhat related question, anyone like to voice their opinions/comments
on PDA (Public Display of Affection) for an SO?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend...       | bloom-debbie@
							|  cs.yale.edu
 ...Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."	 	|bitnet:
							| bloom@yalevm.bitnet
-Groucho Marx						|   :^)

jadler@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua Adler) (01/19/90)

What would I do if an attractive person of the opposite sex came
up and asked if they might kiss me?

Of COURSE I'd say yes.  I'd _never_ refuse a kiss from a beautiful woman.

Unless, of course, I were seriously involved with someone who was incredibly
jealous, in which case I would probably say no, due to my own sense of
faithfulness.

But if I were unattached, I wouldn't hesitate.

--j--

I used to get high on life...        |
But I've built up a tolerance.       | jadler@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
               --Anonymous           |

wilber@sal-sun35.usc.edu (John Wilber) (01/19/90)

writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

>What is your response?

Simple.  I would say "Of course I wouldn't," and let her kiss me.  I'm not
one to turn down a free kiss from an attractive woman.

/********************************************************************\
* John J. Wilber        * What is this crap about women not needing  *
* wilber@nunki.usc.edu  * men?  You need us, and we need you.  Let's *
* student, partier, and * stop arguing, and do something productive, *
* fun-loving guy.       * dammit!                                    *
\********************************************************************/

marke@pnet12.cts.com (Mark T. Edmead) (01/19/90)

That actually has happened to me before.  I was at this party in college and a
very atractive co-ed came up to me and said that I had the most sensual lips
she had ever seen and asked if she could kiss me.  She looked fine to me and I
did not see any visable lip sores so I kisse her!

UUCP: uunet!serene!pnet12!marke
ARPA: crash!pnet12!marke@nosc.mil
INET: marke@pnet12.cts.com

js@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay Sekora) (01/19/90)

probably yes.  i might suggest a hug instead, depending how adventurous
i was feeling.  if i was feeling really adventurous, i would suggest getting
together for coffee instead.

i have done things kind of like this (hugging strangers, not kissing them).
(oh, scratch that; once when i was very drunk i kissed a big strong male
football player i bumped into.  it just seemed easier than saying `excuse
me' at the time.  he was confused.  don't try this at home, kids :-)

-j.

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (01/19/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?

If I thought the offer were serious, and I had some respect for the person
the answer would be yes.  If I thought the person were a slut I'd tell her
to go home and watch the home shopping network for herself.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        ... (Mankind) has already
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          used its last chance.
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609               - Gen. MacArthur

banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wailin Through The Nets) (01/19/90)

	Sure.  Unless they have large facial tumors anyhow.

--
|========================================================================|
| banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU        | YOU CAN BE ONE WITH SATAN, JUST CALL   |

slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) (01/20/90)

>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

I'd tell him to beat it.

(What *is* it with these ridiculous quizzes here lately that bear no
resemblance to real life?  Sounds like one of your friends is putting
you up to a dare or something.)
--
She began coming, making noises like a small animal in pain. "Ouch!
Ow! My paw! Ouch!"

mdhardin@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Matthew D. Harding) (01/20/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?

Mom, is that you?

In article <1337@serene.UUCP> marke@pnet12.cts.com (Mark T. Edmead) writes:

>That actually has happened to me before.  I was at this party in college and a
>very atractive co-ed came up to me and said that I had the most sensual lips
>she had ever seen and asked if she could kiss me.  She looked fine to me and I
>did not see any visable lip sores so I kisse her!

AND???????????????????

thecat@wpi.wpi.edu (William H Katzman) (01/20/90)

In article <IZhC=E600WBK82SWV4@andrew.cmu.edu> af1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Autumn Farole) writes:

>to kiss me.  If his reason was good enough,
>or if he even made up a pretty good lie, I'd
>have to say "yes"...
>

>kiss kiss bang bang,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ooooooh, I think I'm in lust.....

Uhhhhmmmm would the above quote "kiss kiss bang bang" be a good enough reason?
<It certainly made me want to ask for a kiss.....:->

cooleyra@clutx.clarkson.edu (Pixel,,,) (01/20/90)

From article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, by lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner):
> You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
> are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
> sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
> mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
> What is your response?

What, me?  Not likeley:>...but if someone (female) were to ask me...I might say
yes.  Altho then I'd have to explain to my ladyfriend...who'd probably want to
scratch the eyes of said stranger out :>

>    Eric Lechner  lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu |       - Dead Pan Alley -
>       ...ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lechner     |      Where reality takes

Pixel          cooleyra@clutx.  clarkson.edu | bitnet
"Keep the wind in your solar sails..." --Glenn Clapp
"here log (ln) changes to a different log (log)" (no reason given) --A.Fokas
Disclaimer: opinions==mine; me<>cct

In article <5344@bgsuvax.UUCP> ciekansk@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jennifer Ciekanski) writes:
>a horny, immature high school boy trying out a new come-on line.  If I were
>interested I might say something like "Maybe, sometime in the future", which
>could lead to a real conversation and probably the exchange of phone numbers.
>
>                                                    -Jennifer
Good idea, Jennifer (Fennifer!) I like that.
Uhmmmmm i think a line like "I would very much like to kiss you in the near
future" is probably (truthfully) a better line than the original though, as
it is more along the lines of what you're thinking.  Hmmmm I like that line,
maybe (if I feel that way!) I will actually say that one - day, then again
maybe not....

"Love is a lot like....love"
"Single and Sexy" - don't strike me as a usual truth.
-thecat (single - but that's all I'm gonna say...)

gaynor@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Vampire) (01/20/90)

In article<747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

>What is your response?

	Hmmm... it depends, of course, on my state of mind at the time.  Most
likely, I'd raise an eyebrow and reply, "No, not at all.  Would you mind
terribly if I asked why?"
	This followed by whatever seems natural... <grin>

	By the way, folks, my mailbox has been getting dusty lately.  Comes
from not posting lately, I guess.  Send me some e-mail and I'll reciprocate.

-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      UseNet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu  |
|   The Ohio State University - Instructional and Research Computer Center   |

pa1412@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa1412) (01/20/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
+You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
+are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
+sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
+mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".

Faint. Hopefully she would attempt mouth to mouth recesitation(sp)
to revive me.

--
John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

ee299at@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Subhasis Chaudhuri) (01/20/90)

In article <747@darkstar.ucsc.edu> lechner@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Lechner) writes:
>You are on a bus, going home from either school or work, and
>are approached by a reasonably attractive member of the appropriate
>sex who politely asks the question "excuse me, but would you
>mind terribly if i were to kiss you?".
>
>What is your response?

Not at all. But,would you mind terribly if I were to
decide W H E R E you can kiss me?   ;-)

Pushp
"There is no gravity, Joe - the earth sucks!"