[sci.aquaria] CALL FOR VOTES: *.AQUARIA

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (11/27/89)

In article <4598@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.lonestar.org writes:
>This is a call for votes on the name of an aquarium newsgroup. The vote will
>be held by the Single Transferrable Vote system:

Without commenting on the propriety of calling for this vote (I suspect
plenty of others will do that), I would like to point out some of the various
technical problems with Peter's call for votes:
	- Peter is allowing 'write-ins', but write-ins are extremely
problematic in STV and can lead to very paradoxical results.  I don't have
time to elaborate here, but the basic problem is with a ranking type of vote
being applied to a set of choices that are unknown and unused by a large
percentage of the voters.  This is even worse in STV than in MAUVE, and
people objected to it in MAUVE.
	- Peter didn't even make a legitimate attempt to include all the
names that were proposed.  Here is a partial list of omissions:
		rec.aquarium (no s)
		rec.pets.fish
		sci.aquarium
		sci.bio.marine
		sci.bio.fish
		rec.pets.aquaria
		rec.pets.aquarium
		rec.pets.aquariums
	I find it terribly amusing that the name used in the interference
vote against sci.aquaria wasn't even listed in Peter's call for votes.
	- Peter started this without opening any sort of debate first.  If
he had opened it up for debate, he could have very quickly gathered a list of
names - and even support/lack of support for the voting scheme.
	- Peter chose to use STV while there is still extremely active debate
in news.groups about the relative merits of various multiple choice voting
schemes.  Perhaps this is one of the reasons he limited the number of name
choices.  The possibility of STV paradoxes increases dramatically with the
number of names ... and his message makes it clear that he is doing this with
a pretty strong agenda.

I strongly protest to this action.  It is, in my eyes, worse than anything
that Peter has accused Richard of pulling.  If Peter wants to salvage any
pretention of a credible vote out of this, I suggest he do the following:
	- Pull the current vote.
	- Start a discussion in news.groups requesting feedback about
		the list of names and what voting scheme to use.
	- Call for a vote when the list is compiled and some concensus has
		been reached as to the voting method.  Note that the
		news.groups poll on multiple choice voting is due to be
		published any day now ...
--
--------|	Rest assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Alien   |   		would scarcely get your feet wet.	- Deteriorata