[sci.aquaria] Omega-3 fatty acids

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (12/08/89)

In article <7645@fear+loathing.UUCP> richardb@cognos.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) writes:
>In article <901@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
>+
>+For those who don't know, omega-3 fatty acids have been in the press
>+lately as a "cure" for high chloresterol in the blood.  These fatty acids
>+are found in some fish, so eating these fish is supposed to keep your
>+chloresterol down.

Richard Brosseau, being French Canadian has a few problems with English.
Allow me to translate:

>These acids are also the key ingredient used to sucessfully marine fish
>fry.

What he really meant was ``These acids are also the key ingredients
to fry marine fish''

Keeping marine fish in captivity is quite difficult and often results
in high mortality rates. What to do with the bodies ? Since it is known
(Carothers, 1989) that flushing them down the 'loo will result in
infection of endemic stock, domestic disposal must be used. Apart
from a little tainting with cyanide, these fish are perfectly edible. What we
do then is take a hint from our Innuit brethren and cook them in a
fish oil. With a little basil and garlic they're quite good. Don't
forget to remove the scalpels from the caudal peduncle of surgeon
fish or you'll be in for a bit of a nasty shock, though.

>                                           I believe salmond oil is
>high in two particular varities (5w and 6w - something or other;
>its been a while since I've researched this).

Yes, we use a multi grade salmond oil in our subarus. I think it's
20w/50. But Mr. Brosseau, being in a much colder clime would
probably need the lighter 5 weight salmond oil.

Fon an interesting account of how salmon and almond were succesfully
crossed to yield the salmond oil producing organism, check out
the February 1973 issue of _Smithsonian_, p. 44.

>In any case, I wouldn't by any salmond stocks on account of what
>is said in the papers about chloresterol...

Well, you could'nt in any case. All the salmonds are owned by a cartel
of Isrealies.

							RJS
							"this was a joke. this
							was only a joke. in the