[sci.aquaria] Tank Size

aaraya@ut-emx.UUCP (Aaron J. Seltzer) (01/17/90)

In article <15670@boulder.Colorado.EDU> atk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alan T. Krantz) writes:

>This brings up an interesting question - well interesting to me -
>do people treat tall tanks significantly different than long tanks in
>terms of the fishes and plants purchased? Specifically what fishes do
>well in a short tall tank? I think the 30L has a very nice aspect ratio
>- long enough for schooling fishes - short enough for good plant
>lighting from above ... what are other favorite dimensions and why?

For what it's worth (not much), I STRONGLY prefer the ``breader'' type
tanks.  I have a 45 breader, and have seen them in 95 gallon varieties.

In my opinion, nothing comes close for practicality and for fish happyness.
This tank has most of it's dimenions in the horozontal directions
(i.e. width and depth, not height).  Advantages:

    1) More surface area ==> more O2.

    2) More gravel area  ==> more biofilter (if UGF).

    3) More room for fish to swim.  That is they can swim both back and forth
       and forward and back.  This allow you to view a more natural behavour,
       and see different views of the fish.   (How many of you only know
       what the side of your Oscar looks like?)

    4) More bottom area for plants and or landscaping.  Makes the tank look
       much nicer, and allows territorial and or schooling fish to set up
       more interesting areas than just left - right - left.

    5) Easy lighting.  Not too deap, and very easy to mount your standard
       shop lights on top of, with as many bulbs, reflectors, etc. as you
       want.

A qualitiative reason I like it, is that breader tanks makes your fish
more a part of your place, rather than just a `show' picture against the
wall.  It looks more like a habitat, than a TV.

Well, that's my two cents.  Not worth much, but it didn't cost you much
either.

Aaron J. Seltzer
(seltzer%aaraya.ee.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu)