[sci.aquaria] Ancient *.Aquaria History

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/18/90)

In article <9001170826.AA01557@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> peterson@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Eric J Peterson) writes:
>In article <24823@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>| In article <7931ETCggpc2@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>| >Actually it was. The proposal was to remove sci.aquaria and create whatever
>| >group won. Go back and re-read it. Since it turns out that sci.aquaria is
>| >dead anyway I decided pushing for deletion would be a waste of time.
>|
>| I keep getting mail of the ``hey, we just got sci.aquaria here'' type,
>| which leads me to believe it's not dead. Hell, it ain't even sick.
>
>I find it amazing that most of the messages in sci.aquaria are crossposted
>to the corresponding alt and rec groups as well.  Isn't this fragmentation
>of related articles the sort of thing that the original discussion and vote
>was supposed to avoid?  Even Richard crossposts to all three.

Yes. Originally, I posted articles only to the approprate group(s). What
I quickly realized was that it's a crapshoot as to what group the
followup will come back in. Some sites alias everything to alt.aquaria,
some to rec.aquaria, and the ones with a real sense of humor alias
everything to sci.aquaria. Others do the right thing and leave them
alone.

The only practical thing to do in this case is post to all three.

If and when things settle down and this foolish aliasing stops,
we can go back to putting article where they belong, not wher
they have to go to get around a few whiners ego blockades.

Prediction: Jeff Daiell will follow this article up makeing
a snide comment, that he no doubt thinks is funny, but most other
poeple do not. I will read it, and shortly after, will puke.

Proposed: The Maroney awards be retired as Tim seems to be making
sense, and the awards be renamed the Daiell awards.