[sci.aquaria] Go Easy On The Intense Lighting

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/18/90)

In article <9001171748.AA17011@sage.cc.purdue.edu> qnp@SAGE.CC.PURDUE.EDU (vinod kutty) writes:

>When I mentioned about "plant aggression" the other day, I should have
>mentioned that there are other ways that one plant can outsuck the
>minerals in the water than another plant. This can happen under intense
>or good gro-lux lighting.

This makes a hell of a lot of sense. Kind of like keeping discus with
oscars and wondering why the discus never seem to get any food.

On the other hand, maybe the answer is not less light, but more
nutrients.

>Combined with the fact that your tanks are densely planted, your crypts are
>facing a tough battle for not only carbon dioxide (which they need more than
>other plants do)

Where did you hear this. I've thought this too, but have never seen
it stated anywhere.

>Let me know if all this makes sense to you.

Well, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the guy who told me plants
release hormones which stunt the growth of laceplants.

I think perhaps I'll try keeping my cryps by themselves and see
what happens. Take out the *ahem* water sprite ans aponogetons
that are so good at controlling algae because they suck the
nutrients out of the water so quickly.