[sci.aquaria] sci.aquaria.birdfeed

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (02/10/90)

In  article <##701$@rpi.edu> michelob@pawl6.pawl.rpi.edu (Michael   R.
Shea) writes:

= I posted before about my guppies  having babies.  I have  heard some
= discussion  about selling fish back to   stores for credit.   I have
= looked in the capital district  (of New York).  Unfortunately, there
= have been no stores in the area that will  buy them from me.   Is it
= that fancy  tailed guppies are too common?    I am  getting annoyed,
= because the fish are getting crowded where they  are.  I  have about
= 15-18 fish in a ten gallon tank.  When  they were  just born, it was
= fine,  but now they  are  up to 1/2" or bigger.   Does anyone in the
= capital district want some guppies?

= Also, the male that spawned these babies is having some trouble with
= tail rot.  The other fish in the tank seem to be  okay, but his tail
= keeps splitting.  What could I do to help him?

I think we can kill several aviforms with one lithoform here.

Build a large cage  around your aquarium, and  populate it with one or
several  green herons    (the  compact, downscale,  apartment-suitable
version of the  blue heron).  This  will  associate some birds with an
aquarium,  allowing  the  recent  condemnation    of  sci.aviary to be
sidetracked into  an   expansion  of  the  fastest  growing  redundant
newsgroup lowarchy on the net,  *.aquaria[.*].   At the same time, the
green herons, being  wading piscavores,  will save  you the trouble of
finding outlets for your excess swimming stock,  and also save you the
trouble of disposing of the less fit, slower swimming (and more easily
speared) members of your captive fancy fish.   Everyone will be happy,
your overabundance of inches of fish per square inches of tank surface
will repair itself, and  the herons will grow fat  and  perhaps assume
breeding plumage.

[What you   do  with the  subsequent  crop  of baby  herons is  _your_
problem!]

--
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us (Kent Paul Dolan)
xanthian@ads.com - expiring soon; please use Well address for replies.
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts proven fragile.
-> METAFONT, TeX, graphics programming done on spec -- (415) 964-4486 <-

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (02/12/90)

In article <10804@saturn.ADS.COM> xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) writes:
>I think we can kill several aviforms with one lithoform here.
>
>This  will  associate some birds with an
>aquarium,  allowing  the  recent  condemnation    of  sci.aviary to be
>sidetracked into  an   expansion  of  the  fastest  growing  redundant
>newsgroup lowarchy on the net,  *.aquaria[.*].

OK. Now I *know* there are others who share my opinion.
Rec.aquaria suffices.

I'm sick of cross postings, Let's spare the taxpayers (remember them?)
the cost, and me the time, of these unnecessary duplications in 3
newsgroups. Consider the traffic in *.aquaria.*. compared to
rec.music.*, where the latter * is *any* single newsgroup.

Richard Link, Ph.D.
Space Sciences Laboratory
University of California, Berkeley

oleg@electra.la.locus.com (Oleg Kiselev) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb12.091942.9791@agate.berkeley.edu> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>Rec.aquaria suffices.

While I agree with Richard...

>I'm sick of cross postings, Let's spare the taxpayers (remember them?)
>the cost,

Cross-posted articles cost exactly the same to transmit and to store
(plus extra entries in the directory block) as a single article posted
to a single group.  Adding groups does not cost extra.  Richard Sexton
has a theory that creating a group creates traffic in that group
(supply side voodoo economics of the USENET), but I have seen no support
for that theory.

DISCLAIMER:  I speak for myself only, unless otherwise indicated.
                                      "No regrets, no apologies" -- R.Reagan
Oleg Kiselev			lcc!oleg@seas.ucla.edu
(213)337-5230			...!{att|ucla-se|turnkey|alphacm}!lcc!oleg

oleg@electra.la.locus.com (Oleg Kiselev) (02/17/90)

>a) Are *.aquaria cross-postings really _necessary_?  I say no.

You are wrong.  The groups propagations are not identical and there are
large gaps of discontinuity in ALL of the aquaria groups that make
cross-posting necessary.

>b) Would most authors really be happy to choose just one of the
>*.aquaria groups?  ...  If authors really would be happy
>picking one group, why are there currently so many cross-posts between
>alt.aquaria and rec.aquaria (this thread being only one of many)?
>Don't both of these groups have good propagation?

No, they don't.  ALT.aquaria doesn't and that's why there was a call for
SCI.aquaria.  REC.aquaria doesn't and I have no idea why, but at least
*this* site does not always get one or the other group's full traffic.
Some sites do not carry ALT.aquaria, some don't carry REC.aquaria, some
do not carry SCI.aquaria.  The safest thing to do is x-post to all of
them.  It costs the same to transmit as an article posted to one group
only and is much more likely to deliver the article to the readers.

>c) "[Posting to just one *.aquaria group] results in the article's not
>getting everywhere that it should."  But to where _should_ an article
>get?  Everywhere?  Why?  Because the author needs the extra audience,
>and hence attention?  Because they want it to?

Because I am not happy about replying to a followup of an article I had
never seen.  People ask questions and expect answers.  If I do not see the
question, how can I answer it?!

And yes, the extra audience.  Some of the postings made to .aquaria groups
are of interest to all people reading these groups.  Why should they be
denied the ability to read it just because some self-righteous self-appointed
crussaders have screwed up the distributions?

>Is the typical message delivered on *.aquaria so burningly important that
>every soul must be reached?  If so, perhaps a aquarist magazine such
>as FAMA, etc., would accept it for publication, and then the author
>would even be able to reach those unfortunate people without any
>access to USENET.

Eat your sarcasm, Ben.  There are some people on USENET who can't find FAMA
and some who don't even know it exists.  "Every soul" does not need to
subscribe to these groups and could hit the "n" key.

>Perhaps we should discourage cross-posts between rec.aquaria and
>alt.aquaria, since both (apparently) have good propagation.

Wrong.  I have seen a lot of evidence of just the opposite.