[sci.aquaria] Coral reefs and global warming

rosentha@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Peter A. Rosenthal) (11/30/90)

	It is well known that healthy coral reefs are quite
effective at fixing carbon dioxide into calcium carbonate skelatons.
They are also remarkably productive ecosystems that support enormous
diversity in an astoundingly nutrient poor environment.  I would
like to start some discussion on the possible importance
of coral in fixing C02 from the atmosphere.

	Some interesting questions:

	1.  Is the current area of coral reef a significant carbon
eater compared to other sinks such as forests?

	2.  How large an area of reefs would we need to balance the
industrial outputs of society?

	3.  Are there any ways of artificially creating reefs to
increase their area?  Substrates out in the open ocean?  How would
one anchor them?  The open ocean is a relatively poor producer because
of a lack of substrate, but in the tropics it gets very intense
insolation.  Platforms floating a few meters beneath the surface
could be potentially very productive.

kwf@ecersg.ncsu.edu (Ken Fernald) (11/30/90)

In article <719@sierra.stanford.edu> rosentha@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Peter A. Rosenthal) writes:

>	It is well known that healthy coral reefs are quite
>effective at fixing carbon dioxide into calcium carbonate skelatons.
>They are also remarkably productive ecosystems that support enormous
>diversity in an astoundingly nutrient poor environment.  I would
>like to start some discussion on the possible importance
>of coral in fixing C02 from the atmosphere.

You may also want to consider the possibility that global warming
exists only in certain crude computer models that have been
extrapolated far beyond reasonable limits.  There is actually little
scientific data which supports global warming, and in fact, global
temperature measurements show that the warming simply isn't happening.

--
+----------------------------+------------------------------------------------+
|    Kenneth W. Fernald      | "To recognize that nature has neither a        |

bbc@rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (12/01/90)

kwf@ecersg.ncsu.edu (Ken Fernald) writes:
>You may also want to consider the possibility that global warming
>exists only in certain crude computer models that have been
>extrapolated far beyond reasonable limits.  There is actually little
>scientific data which supports global warming, and in fact, global
>temperature measurements show that the warming simply isn't
happening.

Ken, you may want to consider the fact that atmospheric CO2 _has_
increased.

As for Peter's question, IMO I don't think reef-building corals can be
effectively used to abate atmospheric CO2.  I think their ability to
fix CO2 will be limited by calcium and other nutrients.  Also,
reef-building corals are restricted to warm waters.

The simplest solution to reducing atmospheric CO2 is of course to stop
putting CO2 into the atmosphere.  One quarter of all the CO2 generated
by humans is generated within the USA.  Note that this is far larger
than the percentage of humans that live in the USA.
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas

frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) (12/01/90)

rosentha@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Peter A. Rosenthal) writes:

>	Some interesting questions:

Some interesting questions, but fairly moot.  Coral reefs grow
much too slowly, and I believe the real CO2 consumer in the
ocean is plankton.  A very scary prognosis (seen on PBS) was
that, when the water warms a few degrees and the specific gravity
drops, much of the plankton will die, elimintating it as a
CO2 consumer, and probably killing most of the ocean in the
process.

--

Greg Frazier	frazier@CS.UCLA.EDU	!{ucbvax,rutgers}!ucla-cs!frazier

fred@mks.com (Fred Kratky) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov30.141515.26084@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kwf@ecersg.ncsu.edu (Ken Fernald) writes:

>You may also want to consider the possibility that global warming
>exists only in certain crude computer models that have been
>extrapolated far beyond reasonable limits.  There is actually little
>scientific data which supports global warming, and in fact, global
>temperature measurements show that the warming simply isn't happening.

You might want to read an article in the August 90 Scientific American.
The author spends some time discussing the biases built into temperature
measurment systems.  He also Looks at El Nino and other natural
phenomenon.

His conclusions?  I will leave you in suspense.
--
     ||  // // ,'/~~\'   Fred Kratky		fred@mks.com
    /||/// //|' `\\\     Mortice Kern Systems Inc.     (519) 884-2251
   / | //_// ||\___/     35 King St. N., Waterloo, Ont., Can. N2J 2W9
0_/

kwf@ecersg.ncsu.edu (Ken Fernald) (12/03/90)

In article <BBC.90Nov30103535@sicilia.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:

>kwf@ecersg.ncsu.edu (Ken Fernald) writes:
>>You may also want to consider the possibility that global warming
>>exists only in certain crude computer models that have been
>>extrapolated far beyond reasonable limits.  There is actually little
>>scientific data which supports global warming, and in fact, global
>>temperature measurements show that the warming simply isn't
>happening.
>
>Ken, you may want to consider the fact that atmospheric CO2 _has_
>increased.

Yes, CO2 has increased (about 30% i believe) but temperature has not.
If doubling of CO2 is supposed to raise the temperature 4-5 degrees C,
why hasn't it started?

bbc@rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (12/04/90)

Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
>>Ken, you may want to consider the fact that atmospheric CO2 _has_
>>increased.

kwf@ecersg.ncsu.edu (Ken Fernald) writes:
>Yes, CO2 has increased (about 30% i believe) but temperature has not.
>If doubling of CO2 is supposed to raise the temperature 4-5 degrees C,
>why hasn't it started?

Well, Ken, I don't know exactly why a particular model doesn't
correspond exactly to reality.  But it's not _my_ computer model, now
is it?  Why don't you ask the people who wrote it?

And are you sure that global warming hasn't started?  Haven't ocean
surface temperatures risen slightly in recent years?
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas

frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) (12/04/90)

bbc@rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) writes:

>Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
>>>Ken, you may want to consider the fact that atmospheric CO2 _has_
>>>increased.

>kwf@ecersg.ncsu.edu (Ken Fernald) writes:
>>Yes, CO2 has increased (about 30% i believe) but temperature has not.
>>If doubling of CO2 is supposed to raise the temperature 4-5 degrees C,
>>why hasn't it started?

>And are you sure that global warming hasn't started?  Haven't ocean
>surface temperatures risen slightly in recent years?

By the time temps have changed measurably, it will be too late
to prevent serious environmental changes.  It won't take many
degress to change Kansas to desert, or to bring palm trees to
Massachusetts.

A pessimistic hypothesis which I vaguely recall is that the
oceans are what are keeping our temps from increasing, as well
as keeping the CO2 levels reasonable.  The theory is that the
ocean absorbs a great deal of the heat and CO2.  Apparently currents
such as the Gulf Stream do much of their W->E journey across the
ocean at very deep levels, and we don't know what the state of
the water down their is.  According to this hypothesis, eventually
the ocean water coming back up to the surface will be warmer and
have more CO2 in it than currently, and this will severly accelerate
any green house processes.  As a matter of fact, as far as this
hypothesis goes, it will be too late to preven radical environmental
changes very soon.
--

Greg Frazier	frazier@CS.UCLA.EDU	!{ucbvax,rutgers}!ucla-cs!frazier

jackson@ttidca.TTI.COM (Dick Jackson) (12/05/90)

In article <frazier.660262992@oahu> frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) writes:
>bbc@rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) writes:
>>kwf@ecersg.ncsu.edu (Ken Fernald) writes:
>>>Yes, CO2 has increased (about 30% i believe) but temperature has not.
>>>If doubling of CO2 is supposed to raise the temperature 4-5 degrees C,
>>>why hasn't it started?

The earth's climate has fluctuated significantly over the centuries.
In particular there have been mini-ice-ages periodically.  We were due to
have one of these this century but it hasn't happened.  Maybe it was
cancelled out by CO2 warming.  The m-i-a would have been due to abate in
the first half of the next century, so there may be a very swift rise in
global temperatures beginning about 2050. (Reference: something I read in
a popular science magazine, and have partially forgotten).

Dick Jackson