[alt.sources.wanted] Games Wanted for VMS

nolra@ux1.lbl.gov (Arlon Hunt) (11/30/89)

I'm looking for games that are ALREADY adapted to VMS.  I've looked at
all the games archived from comp.sources.games, and I found that, of the
ones of interest, it would take quite a bit of work to adapt them to
VMS (many require the installation of other stuff like gnu, curses,etc).
Before I spend the long hours of time necessary to adapt them to VMS
(including the installation of all that the auxilliary software - which
I'd prefer NOT to do), I'm posting this request in the hope that somebody
out there has already done the hard work, and have self-contained source
code(s) which can be emailed to me via HEPNET/DECNET, Internet, or Bitnet.

Although I'm looking for a large range of games, the ones of most interest
are:

     SCRABBLE(tm)   (either a complete game, and/or a file containing the
                     COMPLETE Scrabble Dictionary plus longer words).

     CRIBBAGE

     CHESS          (only if it is a strong player)

The source code can be either PASCAL, FORTRAN, and/or C.  I don't have any
interest in games such as Dungeons & Dragons, and the like.  Thanks.

nolra@ux1.lbl.gov (Arlon Hunt) (11/30/89)

(I apologize for reposting this article, but my email was screwed up
which resulted in bounced mail.  It is now fixed.  Sooo, if you tried
to reply to this posting, and you got bounced email, please try again.
Thanks for your patience.)

I'm looking for games that are ALREADY adapted to VMS.  I've looked at
all the games archived from comp.sources.games, and found that, of the
ones of interest, it would take quite a bit of work to adapt them to
VMS (many require the installation of other stuff like gnu, curses,etc).
Before spending the long hours of time necessary to adapt them to VMS

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (12/01/89)

In article <4319@helios.ee.lbl.gov> nolra@ux1.lbl.gov (Arlon Hunt) writes:

>I'm looking for games that are ALREADY adapted to VMS...

There is a new network hierarchy being formed called vmsnet, which will
include:

vmsnet.announce         general announcements of interest to all VMSnet readers
vmsnet.announce.newusers        orientation info for new users
vmsnet.mail             discussions of e-mail on VMS systems, OTHER than VMSnet
vmsnet.mail.pmdf        gatewayed to info-pmdf mailing list (not yet)
vmsnet.misc             discussions of VMSnet itself,
                        gatewayed to vmsnet mailing list (not yet)
vmsnet.sources          source code postings for VMS systems
                        (including VMSnet and ANU News-related software)
vmsnet.sources.d        discussions and requests for same
vmsnet.sources.games    recreational software (optional)

This heirarchy is being set up ouside of the normal usenet groups, and is
being administered by the DECUS VMSnet working group. If you would like to
join vmsnet: 1)ask your news administrator, 2) contact the news administrator
at one of the following sites:

or 3) contact the DECUS VMSnet working group, c/o Terry Poot (tp@mccall.uucp).

--
  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw@GVL.Unisys.COM
  Unisys - Great Valley Labs      |     UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!gvlv2!markw

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (12/01/89)

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) writes:

|There is a new network hierarchy being formed called vmsnet, which will
|include:

|vmsnet.announce         general announcements of interest to all VMSnet readers
[etc]

|This heirarchy is being set up ouside of the normal usenet groups, and is
|being administered by the DECUS VMSnet working group. If you would like to
|join vmsnet: 1)ask your news administrator, 2) contact the news administrator
|at one of the following sites:

Whoa! Why is this being done? Why yet another net heirarchy to mess with?
Why not just make normal moderated groups? You'll reach more people that
way.

I dunna understand, Capn'...

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (12/02/89)

In article <13373@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) writes:
>
>|There is a new network hierarchy being formed called vmsnet...
>
>|This heirarchy is being set up ouside of the normal usenet groups, and is
>|being administered by the DECUS VMSnet working group.
>
>Whoa! Why is this being done? Why yet another net heirarchy to mess with?
>Why not just make normal moderated groups? You'll reach more people that
>way.

This has been discussed in news.admin and news.groups. Many people agree
with your point of view. Others (including the DECUS group) feel that an
separate hierarchy is easier to filter out for those sites which do not
wish to receive any of the subgroups. They also wish to add and delete
subgroups without going through the rigamarole involved in the current
newsgroup creation procedures.