[alt.sources.wanted] Voice over Ethernet

mdc@planet.bt.co.uk (Martin Chapman) (02/01/90)

 Does anybody out there know of any voice/phone packages that run over ethernet
(and/or TCP/IP). I am interested in being able to plug in a microphone or
telephone into my Sun Sparc station, and be able to phone other people on the
net.

  Please *e-mail* replies of products, suppliers, etc and I will
compile and post the results.

Martin.

--
Martin Chapman PhD, BSc, SMBCS, B/Tec, GCE, CSE, 11+
British Telecom Research Labs, Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, U.K.

"Life's a Bitch, then you die."

mdc@planet.bt.co.uk (Martin Chapman) (02/14/90)

In reponse to the following:

 Does anybody out there know of any voice/phone packages that run over ethernet
 (and/or TCP/IP). I am interested in being able to plug in a microphone or
 telephone into my Sun Sparc station, and be able to phone other people on the
 net.

Here are some of the replies.

  >From: dwf@gov.lanl.acl.hope
  >
  >Get the audio.shar file from expo.lcs.mit.edu in the contrib
  >directory.  It implements an audio extension to X and allows one to
  >talk with a microphone to any number of other Workstations, sort of a
  >conference call. Pretty slick.  Who needs the telephone company?
  >
  >David Forslund
  >Advanced Computing Laboratory
  >MS B287
  >Los Alamos National Laboratory
  >Los Alamos, NM 87545
  >
  >(505) 665-1907
  >(dwf@lanl.gov)

  >From: bender@com.sun
  >
  > You could try something like this (check my syntax):
  >
  >   $ rsh remote_machine cat \>/dev/audio </dev/audio
  >
  >this should take whatever you input over the audio port and send
  >it to the remote machine's audio port
  >
  >mike bender
  >sun

  >From: gnu@com.toad
  >
  >The program "/usr/demo/sound" can be hacked down to do this.
  >Probably the best thing to do is to split it into two programs,
  >one that just plays sounds from standard input, the other records
  >sounds and spits them out on standard output.  Then you can do:
  >
  >   $ mike | rsh hostname speaker
  >   $ rsh hostname mike | speaker
  >
  >and have a two-way audio conduit set
  >	John Gilmore

  >From: sakoh@jp.co.sra.us.sraco2
  >
  >Yes, I have one.
  >
  >Actually it was posted onto the news group 'fj.sources' in
  >JUNET (japan university network). It's called vtalk (voice talk).
  >
  >The author's e-mail address is:
  >
  >	kamei@cs1.cs.oki.co.jp
  >
  >I also have a copy of the source, and I can send it to you.
  >Unfortunately, all documents are written in Japanese.
  >But it would be easy to install since it is a very small (== 1K lines in C)
  >program.
  >
  >-- H. Sakoh
  >
  >				sakoh@sraco1.uu.net

Thanks for the replies.

--
Martin Chapman PhD, BSc, SMBCS, B/Tec, GCE, CSE, 11+
British Telecom Research Labs, Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, U.K.

"Life's a Bitch, then you die."

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/17/90)

Sounds like it's time for some voice mail/voice talk standards.

--
	- Make the world a better place -
Jon Zeeff    	zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us  or b-tech!zeeff