[alt.sources.wanted] keyboard BIOS routines in C

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (02/23/90)

I have an application that needs to process an IBM AT keyboard at the scan
code level, but must run on various machines, not necessarily Intel CPUs.  I
was using the BIOS routines, but I must use an extended keyboard with many extra
keys, some of which do not map into the XT scan codes as done by the AT
BIOS, so it appears that no key is pressed.  Does anyone know of public
domain routines in C for doing the keyboard interrupt functions of the AT
BIOS?  Pointers to good sources of information would also be much
appreciated.

I will summarize as appropriate if there is any general interest.

Thanks alot!

--
A. Lester Buck     buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

swimmer@fbihh.UUCP (Morton Swimmer) (03/02/90)

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:

>I have an application that needs to process an IBM AT keyboard at the scan
>code level, but must run on various machines, not necessarily Intel CPUs.  I
>was using the BIOS routines, but I must use an extended keyboard with many extra
>keys, some of which do not map into the XT scan codes as done by the AT
>BIOS, so it appears that no key is pressed.  Does anyone know of public
>domain routines in C for doing the keyboard interrupt functions of the AT
>BIOS?  Pointers to good sources of information would also be much
>appreciated.
I really dont know what you are talking about! If the CPU is 'not
necessarily Intel' then I assume you are not talking about normal
PC/AT's. That's fine, but then if you are not talking IBM compatible
you will never find any _general_ keyboard scanning routines as every
machine is different (and most use terminals).
If, however, you just need to be able to scan AT keyboards on an XT,
from what I remember, the two keyboards are quite different, and that
may not be solved in software alone. Try Peter Norton's book on the PC/AT.

Cheers, Morton