[alt.sources.wanted] Where can I find the complete works of Shakespeare

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (04/27/90)

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

|spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) wrote:
|> you must be joking. people who own Shakespeare electronic versions
|> sell them, they dont give them away

|I hate to tell you, but Shakespeare died a long time ago.  His copyright has
|expired.  All his works are in the public domain, that is, you can copy them
|all you want and give them away.

I hate to tell you this, but you can copyright your particular version of
a public domain work. You can also copyright compilations of public
domain works.

|>         mail archive@uk.ac.ox.vax (Oxford Text Archive) who may have a
|> version you could use for research purposes

|I love this crud -- "research purposes".  Who are they to presume to tell you
|what you can do with the words of a man five hundred years dead?

Just like people sell Bach sheet music, or Webster sells words, they have
every right to tell you that you can't copy their stuff.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (05/08/90)

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) wrote:
> you must be joking. people who own Shakespeare electronic versions
> sell them, they don't give them away

For a moderately priced example of same, I offer the following from a
flyer I recently received in the mail:

    Shakespeare on Disc!
    The complete unabridged and total works of the greatest English
    playwright of all times in both American English and Queen's
    English versions.
    #1-263   $79.95

I leave the interpretation of "American English ... version" to
the gentle reader.

Listed in a category: CD-ROMs from CMC RESEARCH

This category also includes a disc on birds of America containing
Audobon illustrations and Cornell recordings of bird calls, as well
as "Sherlock Holmes on Disc!" (each at the same price as the above).

The illustration of the latter shows the legend "High Sierra" but
nothing further is said about accessing the data..

The flyer is from
     EDUCORP
     531 Stevens Ave. #B
     Solana Beach, CA 92075
     (1-619) 259-0255

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>