[alt.sources.wanted] COPY program needed

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (08/03/90)

I need a program that works like DOS's COPY or XCOPY except that it
asks before it overwrites, as in something like "FOO.BAR exists on
target path; Overwrite, Rename, or Continue".  Suggestions?

  Glenn Davis Stone              INTERNET  stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
  Columbia University                UUCP rutgers!columbia!cunixb!stone

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (08/05/90)

In article <1990Aug3.145202.21965@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:
>I need a program that works like DOS's COPY or XCOPY except that it
>asks before it overwrites, as in something like "FOO.BAR exists on
>target path; Overwrite, Rename, or Continue".  Suggestions?

There is a very well-known utility called pcopy by Patriquin for
this purpose.  You can get it from any well-stocked BBS or ftp site.
The latest version at the moment is pcopy85c.arc.  Our anonymous ftp
site, chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland has pcopy in directory /pc/pd2.
Another, much smaller (but also very good) utility is dc by Michael
Mefford from PC Magazine.  It is available just like pcopy.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug3.145202.21965@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes...
>I need a program that works like DOS's COPY or XCOPY except that it
>asks before it overwrites, as in something like "FOO.BAR exists on
>target path; Overwrite, Rename, or Continue".  Suggestions?

	I use XtreeProGold for things like this. It works out to be a very good
file management program for keeping your disk in reasonable shape. It's great
when you decide to rearrange things too.

	/s/	Bob Gettys