[alt.sources.wanted] Turing machine simulator?

gerlekm@merrimack.edu (09/10/90)

Does anyone have or know of a program to simulate a Turing machine?

I don't need anything fancy -- just something that takes as input a
starting tape and some form of table/program and outputs the tape
through each state of the program...

Please respond via email -- thanks muchly.

[  M.P.Gerlek, Wanna-Be At Large
[  Disclaimer: Yes, Mom, I'll play nice.
[  {uunet,bbn,ulowell}!samsung!hubdub!mpg
[  "My other machine's a multi-threaded YMP."

philr@knecht.Eng.Sun.COM (Phil Robar) (09/11/90)

gerlekm@merrimack.edu writes:

>Does anyone have or know of a program to simulate a Turing machine?

>I don't need anything fancy -- just something that takes as input a
>starting tape and some form of table/program and outputs the tape
>through each state of the program...

>Please respond via email -- thanks muchly.

>[  M.P.Gerlek, Wanna-Be At Large
>[  Disclaimer: Yes, Mom, I'll play nice.
>[  {uunet,bbn,ulowell}!samsung!hubdub!mpg
>[  "My other machine's a multi-threaded YMP."

Microcomputer Applications sells a Turing machine simulator which
supports 1,000 states and a 128k tape.  It runs on a PC, XT, or AT with
512k.  Price is 39.95 for Booklet and 5 1/4" disk.  Example programs
are included.

Microcomputer Applications, P.O. Box 1583 Suisun City, Ca. 94585

(707) 422-1465

Make sure you get their catalog.  It's called "John's Picks" and it's
full of book recommendations, nerd coffe cups and tee-shirts, Escher
stuff, neat software, etc.  Think of it as the computer science
equivalent of a science museum store's catalog.  "Highly recommended."

--
Philip Robar
Sun Microsystems

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (09/11/90)

gerlekm@merrimack.edu writes:
>Does anyone have or know of a program to simulate a Turing machine?

There was a set of vi macros (!!!) to do this some time ago.
I could probably dig them out eventually from an old (_not_ Turing-) tape.

Lee
--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee@sq.com, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, +1 (416) 963-8337
/text/humour/quote: No such file or directory

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (09/14/90)

>gerlekm@merrimack.edu writes:
>>Does anyone have or know of a program to simulate a Turing machine?

well, program, well :-) i have a set of vi macros posted some time
ago, that implement a touring machine. more a fun hack, really entertaining!
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.in-berlin.de   FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93