[alt.sources.wanted] Need a wrapper for SCO rmail

kreed@telesys.cts.com (Kevin W. Reed) (09/18/90)

Learn something new everyday...

Just found out that the standard rmail included with SCO Xenix can
only handle one addressee at a time.  Thus if you have a message
coming in from another site addressed to two or more users, rmail
errors.

I never noticed this on my system since I've been using smail.

Does someone out there have a wrapper for rmail to help solve this?

I would rather not have to install smail at this remote site, but If
it is the only way to correct this problem...

Thanks in advance...

--
Kevin W. Reed -------- {nosc,ucsd}!crash!telesys!kreed - kreed@telesys.cts.com
TeleSys Development Systems ---- XBBS & telesys.UUCP (TB 1000) +1 619 483 3890

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/22/90)

> Just found out that the standard rmail included with SCO Xenix can
> only handle one addressee at a time.  Thus if you have a message
> coming in from another site addressed to two or more users, rmail
> errors.

(and drops the mail on the floor...)

I pointed this out to SCO years ago.  Their response was that it was
not a bug so they weren't going to fix it.

Please tell them that it has burned you and you wish they'd fix it.
It's not like there is a serious problem with fixing it!

Here is my message and their response.  Note the date in January 1988.

	John Gilmore
	gnu@toad.com

From: amdcad!sco!rayneb
To: amdcad!hoptoad!gnu
Subject: SCO 2.2 rmail only handles one recipient?
Cc: rayneb
Date: Thu Jan  7 15:46:36 1988

The problem you have reported is simply a feature that
we do not currently have available.  It is being considered
for inclusion in a future release.

Regards,

Rayne Bennett
Customer Service Representative
The Santa Cruz Operation

	From amdcad!hoptoad!gnu Sun Dec 20 22:42:42 1987
	Date: Sun, 20 Dec 87 17:36:49 PST
	From: amdcad!hoptoad!gnu (John Gilmore)
	To: amdcad!sco!support

	I took a survey a number of years ago to determine whether it was safe
	to send mail to uucp neighbor sites by using multiple addresses in the
	arguments to rmail, as in:

		uux neighbor!rmail user otheruser forwardto!thirduser

	At the time, only 4.1BSD sites could not handle multiple recipients on
	the rmail command line.  Since 4.1BSD is essentially dead, modern mail
	systems using sendmail or smail reduce uucp traffic by sending to
	multiple recipients with a single command.  (Note that sending separate
	copies to multiple people requires that the entire text of the message
	be transmitted N times over the phone.)

	I recently heard from Norm Soley (utzoo!utgpu!sickkids!ontenv!norm)
	that a neighboring Xenix SCO 2.2 machine also has this problem; it
	rejects incoming mail if more than one addressee is specified.  He had
	asked the net about how to configure smail to avoid sending to multiple
	recipients, because his neighbor complained that it didn't work.

	This is a serious bug, if it is true.  It makes it hard for SCO
	customers to integrate into the uucp network.  Can you please check if
	this is still true in your current release, and fix it if so?

		John Gilmore

--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu        gnu@toad.com
 The Gutenberg Bible is printed on hemp (marijuana) paper.  So was the July 2,

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (09/23/90)

In article <12450@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>> Just found out that the standard rmail included with SCO Xenix can
>> only handle one addressee at a time.  Thus if you have a message
>> coming in from another site addressed to two or more users, rmail
>> errors.
>
>(and drops the mail on the floor...)
>
>I pointed this out to SCO years ago.  Their response was that it was
>not a bug so they weren't going to fix it.
>
>Please tell them that it has burned you and you wish they'd fix it.
>It's not like there is a serious problem with fixing it!

Fortunately it's not a huge problem to fix. You simply rename their rmail
and create a script something like:

	:
	cat > /tmp/rmail$$
	for i in $*
	do
	rrmail $i < /tmp/rmail$$
	done
	rm /tmp/rmail$$

In cases like this it's sometimes faster to just fix it yourself than trying
to get the vendor to do something. To give them credit SCO did listen to our
complaints and has given us a much nicer mailer under SCO UNIX. Whether or
not we are better off with MMDF is another question.....

--
Stuart Lynne	Unifax Communications Inc.
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)     	sl@wimsey.bc.ca