[alt.sources.wanted] Need info for Bank Card Transaction Processing Centers

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/11/90)

I am trying to write a program that will read a Credit Card and take that
information, and a dollar amount and call a Bank Card Transaction Processing
Center and perform a transaction for a point of sale system under Unix. I am
having a hard time finding out just what needs to be sent to the Center, in
what order and what the Center sends back.

Does anyone have a program or a description of the protocol for communicating
with a transaction center ?

Mark Seiffert

---
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!marks or rex!mgse!marks
bitnet:         marks%mgse@REX.CS.TULANE.EDU
internet:       marks%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu or marks@mgse.UUCP
compu$erve:	>INTERNET:marks@mgse.UUCP

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (10/12/90)

In article <1415@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>Does anyone have a program or a description of the protocol for communicating
>with a transaction center ?

Have you tried contacting one of the banks/processing center directly.  In the
past when I use to write accounting type applications, the banks had
extensive documentation on tape and file formats (we use to transmite payment
info via modem).

Hope this helps.

---
Michael R. Almond                                  mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				    emory.edu!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'. Georgia Tech Alumnus .'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.

staylor@snidely.UUCP (Scott Taylor) (10/13/90)

in article <1415@mgse.UUCP>, marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) says:
> Does anyone have a program or a description of the protocol for communicating
> with a transaction center ?

I have 3 different programs for batch processing for 3 different charge
processing centers, and each also have their own interactive formats.
Thus, you will have to contact the charge processing center to which
you will want to communicate to get their specifications.

Note: 2 of the centers I have dealt with process using IBM RJE type
3780 protocols and communications, the other is in straight ASCII.
There is no such thing as a `program' to talk to any center.
In my experience, something custom is required for each.

BTW, I can't release the programming I have due to company restrictions,
however, and it probably would not help anyways.  I can only offer experienced
advice on what to expect.

				-Scott
--
Scott G. Taylor (Akmentins)                        Pmd Resources  (818) 991-0068
staylor@snidely.pmdr.wlv.ca.us      -or-           31230 Cedar Valley Dr.

billn@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (bill nelson) (10/13/90)

The formats change occasionally - they also depend on just what software
the bank is using.

You will have to contact the bank directly - they will require you to
justify your need for the information.