[alt.sources.wanted] directory/subdirectory sizes

arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/19/90)

I would like to have some way of listing the sizes of directories,
subdirectories, and grand totals for the directory and subdirectories,
while not listing the individual files within same.  Oh, this is for
a UNIX system by the way (Silicon Graphics).

Thanks for whatever help you can give.  Apologies if there is already
some way to do this in UNIX, but I've made a real effort to find it and can't.
(Why is it that the docs are written to be understandable only if you're
already an expert ... ? )
Raymond W. Arritt                     |
Assistant Professor                   |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy        |  "everyone knew that as time went
Univ. of Kansas                       |   by they'd get a little bit older
Lawrence, KS  66045                   |   and a little bit slower..."
arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu             |
arritt@ukanvax.bitnet                 |

epames@eos.ericsson.se (Michael Salmon) (11/19/90)

In article <27001.2746f714@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I would like to have some way of listing the sizes of directories,
>subdirectories, and grand totals for the directory and subdirectories,
>while not listing the individual files within same.  Oh, this is for
>a UNIX system by the way (Silicon Graphics).
>
>Thanks for whatever help you can give.  Apologies if there is already
>some way to do this in UNIX, but I've made a real effort to find it and can't.
>(Why is it that the docs are written to be understandable only if you're
>already an expert ... ? )

du is, I think, exactly what you want. I found it with man -k using disk
directory and file. man -k is very useful and so is the kwic list.

Michael Salmon
L.M.Ericsson
Stockholm

cdh@specialix.co.uk (Alan Drew) (11/20/90)

arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>I would like to have some way of listing the sizes of directories,
>subdirectories, and grand totals for the directory and subdirectories,
>while not listing the individual files within same.  Oh, this is for
>a UNIX system by the way (Silicon Graphics).

	du  -r (SCO UNIX) will do exactly what you want.