[alt.sources.wanted] seeking HDB+smail rerouting script

gam@netcom.UUCP (Gordon Moffett) (11/23/90)

There was this Bourne shell script this guy wrote which would re-route queued up
UUCP mail for one site that was presumed dead and rerouted it to other
sites, to avoid the cancellation of this mail.  It was called 'reroute' or
'requeue' or something like that.  I have lost it and have no record
of where or who I got it from.

The script assumed you had smail 2.5 and HDB UUCP.  It works fine with
smail 3.1, too.  It expected you to rewrite your paths database so that
the requeued mail would avoid this dead site, then you run the script,
giving it the dead site's name, and it would look for any rmail jobs queued up
for that site, reroute them and cancel the previous job.

So, if you have this script, please send me a copy, or post it to alt.sources;
I'm sure many people would find it useful.
--
Gordon Moffett                          {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gam
                                        gam@netcom.uucp

lcz@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Lee Ziegenhals) (11/26/90)

gam@netcom.UUCP (Gordon Moffett) writes:

>There was this Bourne shell script this guy wrote which would re-route queued up
>UUCP mail for one site that was presumed dead and rerouted it to other
>sites, to avoid the cancellation of this mail.  It was called 'reroute' or
>'requeue' or something like that.  I have lost it and have no record
>of where or who I got it from.

I have a copy of a c program called 'reroute' that does this.  It was written
by Lenny Tropiano (lenny@icus.icus.com).  I don't think that it's the same
program you're referring to, but it does what you describe.  It does not
know anything about the pathalias database or smail, but simply allows
you to requeue a job with a new path.  It works with HDB UUCP; I don't
know about others.

I thought the author might speak up, but if you can't find it elsewhere,
I'll be glad to mail you a copy.

-Lee Ziegenhals
-lcz@sat.datapoint.com, ...!uunet!dptspd!lcz