[alt.sources.wanted] Synchronizing Time Program ?

annef@aeshq.UUCP (Anne Fraser) (01/05/91)

	I was reading an article taken from the Unix Review (Vol.8 No.12)
that mentioned a program that would keep all the clocks on all the computers
synchronized using NTP (Network Time Protocol) Daemons.  The author of this
article mentioned that he used the xntpd implementation of NTP written by
Dennis Ferguson at the University of Toronto.

	Does anyone know anything about this program or do you have a program
that will synchronize the clocks on different computers  on a lan ?  If you do,
can you mail a copy of it to me or tell me how/where I can get my own copy ?

	The article mentioned the program is available through anonymous ftp
to louie.udel.edu in the directory ~ftp/pub/ntp/xntp.  Anonymous ftp is not
available on our system.  It also mentions that the program uses the UNIX
adjtime().  That is not available on our system either (I'm on an HP9000
series 300 running HP-UX rev.7.0) Is there a public domain copy of this ?

	I'd really appreciate any help on tracking this program down.

		Thanks,

					Anne Fraser

Please e-mail the responses...

Anne Fraser                               uunet!jtsv16!geac!aeshq!annef
Environment Canada                     Atmospheric Environment Service
Anne Fraser                               uunet!jtsv16!geac!aeshq!annef
Environment Canada                     Atmospheric Environment Service

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/07/91)

In article <800@aeshq.UUCP> annef@aeshq.UUCP (Anne Fraser) writes:
   The [UNIX Review] article mentioned [NTP] is available through
   anonymous ftp to louie.udel.edu in the directory ~ftp/pub/ntp/xntp.
   Anonymous ftp is not available on our system.

Then without a local reference clock, you may have an interesting go
of it.  Anyway, it's available via anonymous UUCP from osu-cis.  Write
to uucp@cis.ohio-state.edu for instructions if you need them, then get
osu-cis!~/ls-lR.Z to find where it's hiding.

   It also mentions that the program uses the UNIX adjtime().  That is
   not available on our system either (I'm on an HP9000 series 300
   running HP-UX rev.7.0) Is there a public domain copy of this ?

This article recently came across the NTP newsgroup:

	From: ken@HPSDLZ.SDD.HP.COM (Ken Stone)
	Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
	Subject: Re: Time server for HP 9000/3xx??
	Date: 4 Jan 91 17:44:05 GMT

	> Is there a time server (such as ntp) which will allow me
	> to run the server on a node I specify and then have up to
	> 15 clients?  Is it available for the HP9000/3xx running
	> HP-UX 7.0?

	Pick up xntp* fro columbia.edu.  Works great ... we use it
	here on ~250 machines.

	  -- Ken

columbia.edu:hp/xntp* is also on osu-cis for UUCP access.